Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RealBASIC is the best soloution for VB6 junkies ever

Options
  • 25-05-2007 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

SO I was a long time vb programmer, 5 years , then microsoft changed to this vb.net s***, its horrible, so I moved to the mac platform, hoping to develop with applescript, i failed in learning it :( too complicated, then I found realbasic, its reasonably cheap, and theres very little porting required. And it developps for windows, mac and linux to stand alone royalty free app's, its great, vb junkies switch, im serious

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

What have u against vb.net. I recently moved from Visual FoxPro and finding it quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

SO I was a long time vb programmer, 5 years , then microsoft changed to this vb.net s***, its horrible, so I moved to the mac platform, hoping to develop with applescript, i failed in learning it :( too complicated, then I found realbasic, its reasonably cheap, and theres very little porting required. And it developps for windows, mac and linux to stand alone royalty free app's, its great, vb junkies switch, im serious
    Move on. Seriously.

I used to develop in VB also (and still will for the odd thing like DLL's and COM objects), but the reality is that it's going down the same route as languages like COBOL. This means that there will be well-paid legacy work out there for VB developers for years if not decades, but this will eventually all but dry up.

If you don't adapt to the market you'll find yourself excluded from it. It doesn't happen overnight - first a new technology will appear. Then it begins to take hold and ultimately becomes the new standard as it matures in its own right. The trick is getting into it early enough to become be more experienced than those who only bother learning when its too late while not becoming an expert in a technology that ends up failing.

The Web scripting languages are a good example of this as their turnover is much higher - back in 1998 much of the work out there was still being done in Perl-CGI, then ASP supplanted it and all those Perl heads who refused to go the MS route ended up becoming network admins. By 2003, PHP was already at a point where it had passed out ASP, helped also by MS's move to .NET. And that's just the SME market - the enterprise Web market has seen a partial shift from Java to .NET during that time too.

Ultimately, the reality is that any developer must evolve or die. This means like it or not you will need to 'skill up' for the rest of your professional career, regardless of whether it's 'too complicated' or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I find the best solution for VB6 junkies is a big stick. Right across the kneecaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

While there is a learning curve from classic VB to Vb.Net (or whatever the latest version is called) its well worth the effort. You could also try C# if you wanted to. The skills learned in upskilling to VB.NET, i.e. OOP, will be far more transferable than what is required for classic vb. There is a demand in the market place for both .net and oop. It would seem there's not much work for realbasic in Ireland at the moment.
    I find the best solution for VB6 junkies is a big stick. Right across the kneecaps.

While VB6 is now pretty much legacy it is still a very powerful language in the hands of a good coder and as TC said, there will be work out there for years if not decades. We should have coded an equivalent W2k bug into our work so we could retire early :)

Advertisement