Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three and "unlimited" broadband

Options
  • 26-05-2007 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

just a warning to anyone out there thinking of taking three up on their offer of unlimited broadband for an extra 20 a month

I signed up with three over a month ago after seeing their tv commercials advertising unlimited broadband. I live in an area with no other broadband options so it made sense to have 1 bill for phone & broadband .

I purchased, via their website, an LG U830 and tried it out during my 14 day money back period. The phone came with a cd which installled "Internet software" which allowed me connect using my laptop to the internet. The speed was impressive (compared to what I was used to ) so I figured this was an solution to my lack of broadband and decided to phone them and ask about their "unlimited" terminology. The guy I got speaking to advised me of a "fair usage" policy and told me I would be ok so long as I didnt exceed 2G a day.

As I was happy with this I signed the contract and returned it.

Fast forward to last Monday when I attempted to connect to the web using my laptop via my three handset . I got an error "You are not authorised to view this site using this device. Please use your handset to view it" or something to that effect. I emailed three and got a response (2 days later) telling me I needed a data card for internet access.

So I phoned three. They again told me I needed a data card to use my laptop for internet access. I pointed out to them that I had only signed up with them after I had seen their commercial for unlimited broadband and used it during my 14 day money back period. They said it was a mistake. I shouldnt have been allowed to access the internet that way. I also pointed out I had made a call to check the "fair usage" / max downloads . They have no record of this call.. Funny enough they said they did have a record of my other 3 calls querying why my 086 number had not been transferred to their network. Then they told me I would be subject to a €300 cancellation fee if I cancelled my contract.

My questions are !!!

Why advertise unlimited broadband if its only accessible via a 2 inch mobile phone screen ?

Why provide me with a cd which installs software to connect my pc to the internet ?

Why during my 14day trial period was I able to access the internet via laptop/three phone but then soon afterwards I wasnt ?? If I was not able to access the internet during this 14 day period I certainly would not have signed up !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I've been using my bill phone as a modem for the last month and a bit and had no problems.

I did, before I bought the phone, ring Three asking could I use the phone as a modem for my computer and he kept telling me no, and that I'd have to get a Data card for that.

Maybe they deemed you to have exceded the fair usage policy and cut you off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It sickens me they advertise "unlimited broadband" but have the cheek to have a "fair usage" clause. It's false advertising...unlimited means unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

From what I've read in your post you'd be perfectly entitled to cancel your contract, without penalty. They've sold you a product that was "not as described" and "not fit for the purpose for which it was sold" the Sale of Goods Act states every product sold must be. They have no right to claim breach of contract from you, it they who have broken the contract by not supplying the service as described.

It sounds like the classic "bait and switch" (I thought this went out with the ark but obviously the old ones are the best) With the technique a company offers one basic product with promises of premium or extra services included. But when you buy the package, they then tell you you have to buy an additional product or pay extra to avail of the premium services. It's specfically against consumer legislation and all the consumer agencies are familiar with this illegal practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good post Oracle.

OP, I wouldn't take that kind of nonsense. As you don't seem to want just the phone service and whatever that entails, I suggest you stop your method of payment immediately, and send them a registered letter cancelling your contract, outlining your valid reasons to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Firstly - three's customer service are utter crap and have ZERO knowledge of broadband / data cards etc.

You can use the three phone as a modem. My guess is that some of the settings are wrong.

Try this

Plug the phone into your computer and try dialling the "three" internet setting - usually *99# . This should give you access.

Other option is their new usb datacard - 19.99 a month for up to 10gb excludes voice & text services (such as skype)

The three broadband service is great - but their customer service is utter sh1te.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Akula

excludes voice & text services (such as skype)

I'm pretty certain that you are fine to use skype. When they say it excludes voice and text it means you cant use the sim to send them over the three network. VOIP or web based sms is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

i second the thing about getting the three usb stick. 129 initial cost for the usb modem, but then 19.99 a month. Signed up, and it is absolutely brilliant. 3.6mps! and what is (for me) almost unlimited surfing ability of 10gb monthly transfer.

definitely think it is going to revolutionise the broadband market.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you can use your phone as a modem, you're just not allowed. i've done it a few times.

you said the the limit is 2GB a day. i'm afraid its 2GB a month mate.

they are in breach of contract by telling you two incorrect things about the product. they did this because they are retarded and getting a correct answer out of them is pretty much unheard of. return your phone and get the modem instead. its more what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

changing the User agent of your browser should work to make their little service think you are using the phone instead of your computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

I was planning on buying the phone now it seems im going to get the usb datacard...

Anybody have any idea if it is possible to download on? I aint really going to be using it for that, but wud be nice to have as a back up if me main gaming line went down which it does atleast twice a week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Akula wrote:
    I'm pretty certain that you are fine to use skype. When they say it excludes voice and text it means you cant use the sim to send them over the three network. VOIP or web based sms is fine.

You will have two serious issues with voip on 3's broadband. First of all the latency, which can be ok, but also can be bad, depending on where you are.

Secondly, the 50kbit upstream pretty much limits you to low quality codecs like iLBC, Speex or G.729, if you get it to work at all. Skype is questionable.

/Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

Not only that but you will have serious issues trying to get anything faster than dial-up speeds if you want to access the internet during normal waking hours.

8am - 3am average speed 50Kbps with the occasional 200Kbps spike

3am - 8am - average speed 800Kbps with the occasional 1.6Mb spike

Bottom line is that this is Irelands most expensive dial-up service.

Spend your money on a decent service with a decent provider.

Three Mobile Broadband USB modem - yet another manifestation of Rip-Off Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

so the usb 3mb 20euro a month is a big ripoff so?????

Steer clear?????

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Run..run as fast as you can. Away from error 691, i mean 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

they have completely oversold it most populated areas so yes its crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Actually I tried it for about 1,5weeks but it was just bad and I live only about 400meters from the tower. The best speed I had ever gotten was about 1.3Mbit but usually I got about 100-200kbit and from 6pm to 10pm around 50kbit (modem speed).
    When I went to the store they said they were selling about 20Modems a day with another 3 Stores around the area selling about the same amount. I am living in a town of about 20,000ppl so u can imagine how many ppl are using the 3service in my area and its no surprise that the speeds are so low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mike0001

i second the thing about getting the three usb stick. 129 initial cost for the usb modem, but then 19.99 a month. Signed up, and it is absolutely brilliant. 3.6mps! and what is (for me) almost unlimited surfing ability of 10gb monthly transfer.

definitely think it is going to revolutionise the broadband market.

I see you have just signed up for this with three. You'll find the service good for about a month, until your back out period is up and then hey presto- you'll be luck to get 5kbps.

It is not just how many of these things they are selling - and sales have be very very good- and it's not just contention from so many users trying to access the same cell site. New user are being given a higher priority setting (temporary). After a couple of weeks when you are locked in, it reverts back to normal with is going to be very very bad. If you ring to complaing they give you an excuse about contention - that the cell sites are being upgraded and everything will be fine by the end of the month. They'll suggest the download accelerator from the web sit and secretley hey will reset your priority of a little while to keep you sweet for a couple of days ...
    To my mind this is fraud. But I can't prove this without compromising an employee in the call centre (India)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I find that at busy times during the day thye block access to mycast.orb.com. I can't see how Three can ever bring out X-Series now that they are using all their bandwith for mobile BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭milkerman

Oh Guys,
    I posted a rant about 3 and broadband companies on this forum a week ago (Enough is Enough). With sufficient Bushmills & valium I might be able to accept 0kbps or .5kbps or 12kbps.
    As it is I wrote to 3 advising them that the service provided is not as advertised and that the service is not fit for the intended purpose. I advised them they had one week to improve the service and failing that I would return the modem to the point of sale and seek a full refund.
    Went back to Carphone Warehouse to return the modem and get my refund. They would not take it back as the hardware was functioning and the service was provided by 3. I have now downloaded the appropriate forms from www.courts.ie to see if I can use the small claims procedure and co-join 3 & Carphone Whorehouse.
    P.S. still no response from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

milkerman wrote:
    Oh Guys,
    I posted a rant about 3 and broadband companies on this forum a week ago (Enough is Enough). With sufficient Bushmills & valium I might be able to accept 0kbps or .5kbps or 12kbps.
    As it is I wrote to 3 advising them that the service provided is not as advertised and that the service is not fit for the intended purpose. I advised them they had one week to improve the service and failing that I would return the modem to the point of sale and seek a full refund.
    Went back to Carphone Warehouse to return the modem and get my refund. They would not take it back as the hardware was functioning and the service was provided by 3. I have now downloaded the appropriate forms from www.courts.ie to see if I can use the small claims procedure and co-join 3 & Carphone Whorehouse.
    Post what happens with this court action. It would be interesting to see how far it goes and what the result will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭ablelocks

milkerman wrote:
    Oh Guys,

I fully expect to be doing the same thing the week of the 13th August. I'm going to start taking screen captures of the 3 control pad so that I have visual proof of the speeds I get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

milkerman wrote:
    Carphone Whorehouse.

I must remeber that one. Hope everything goes well with the court case as maybe then 3 will learn they need to start adding more masts.

Advertisement