Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Address conflict -banned

Options
  • 26-05-2007 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Basically I get in trouble any time myself and my brother post in the same forum - different user names but our IP address is coming up as the same (assuming it's using the IP address from the wireless router, both in the same house). I've gotten banned for alleged trolling in the Instruments forum, though it's not the case! :( Is this normal?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

This is how it appears to me - Bratach Bán and TelePaul are backing each other up in the Instruments forum, while attacking another user (in this case Voodoo_Child). Previously, they have both posted (from the same IP address) about how to get around paying tax. Both of these things are against the charter. I banned them both previously until they explained the situation when I unbanned them. All was good until tonight until they started backing up each other (TelePaul's deleted post of "owned" will is evidence enough).

Both are banned for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

1174329819-405881968_fa8e87eec3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Brother....sister....its all the same,
    Posting with two accounts from the same IP is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

feylya wrote:
    This is how it appears to me - Bratach Bán and TelePaul are backing each other up in the Instruments forum, while attacking another user (in this case Voodoo_Child). Previously, they have both posted (from the same IP address) about how to get around paying tax. Both of these things are against the charter. I banned them both previously until they explained the situation when I unbanned them. All was good until tonight until they started backing up each other (TelePaul's deleted post of "owned" will is evidence enough).

Both are banned for a week.

Look Feyla, just because we share the same opinions isn't grounds to ban us....if you're going to remain impartial you'll notice that I didn't advocate tax avoidance - merely referenced that instrument prices in Ireland are high - and you'll also notice that Voodoo Child made derogatory comments towards me because he mistook me for someone else. Sorry if this is all coming from the same IP address, but there's nothing I can do about it, that's why I took this up with feedback.

GaRtH_V wrote:

So you're telling me there's no way to differentiate no? And I wont be taken at my word?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

1174329819-405881968_fa8e87eec3.jpg

Cats by the second reply? Must be some sort of record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

feylya wrote:
    Bratach Bán and TelePaul are backing each other up in the Instruments forum, while attacking another user

Feylya, with all due respect, what I said was in no way an attack on Voodoo Child. It was meant strictly as genuine advice. I don't want to be punished for making honest suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

It's all in the nàme.

Actually, Feylya, I've thought this over. I have a solution: how about you chew the bark off my big, fat log.

You preside over a piece of **** forum with no traffic. Your status as a moderator revolves around your position in a glorified circle-jerk of Ibanez ans second rate metal players who derive sexual satisfaction from locking trems, poor paint-jobs, eighties perms and spandex pants.

You know shag all about anything relevant. I firmly suggest a real job, where your input may matter.

So suck the big one, you second rate cocksmoker.

Kinda ironic. I don't play Ibanez guitars. Fair enough though. TelePaul and Bratach Bán's bans are permanent. Why TelePaul? He requested it:
    TelePaul wrote:
    I have to tell you I won't be coming back to the guitars and basses forum, it's run in a ridiculous way.

• Advertisement

Actually, Feylya, I've thought this over. I have a solution: how about you chew the bark off my big, fat log.

You preside over a piece of **** forum with no traffic. Your status as a moderator revolves around your position in a glorified circle-jerk of Ibanez ans second rate metal players who derive sexual satisfaction from locking trems, poor paint-jobs, eighties perms and spandex pants.

You know shag all about anything relevant. I firmly suggest a real job, where your input may matter.

1168702253-1167593647330.jpg

Your call Feyla. What's with all the cats lads?

1168702253-1167486367686.jpg
    1168702253-1167486396122.jpg
    1168702253-1167486410032.jpg

The cats - well, inarticulate people have historically used crude symbols to communicate when they are incapable of coherently expressing themselves with written words.

The cats - well, inarticulate people have historically used crude symbols to communicate when they are incapable of coherently expressing themselves with written words.

*sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

zungi2uyzxgxony5mjq2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...says the person who brought us the literary classic that is...

I'd look for a suitable cat picture, but I can't be bothered this early

CatGuitar.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

So your solution is to get yourself permantly banned and let your brother use the forums. Very clever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It looks like problem solved to me. Well done team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Start up the flux capacitor and try this one again!

cattothefuturesml.gif

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Right.

Edit: TelePaul, you needn't worry about your brother posting from the same IP address for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, you can sort out some sort of way of making sure both machines have a different IP address.

Right.

Edit: TelePaul, you needn't worry about your brother posting from the same IP address for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, you can sort out some sort of way of making sure both machines have a different IP address.

I'll ask in the tech forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I'm amazed there has been cats in spandex pants. You guys are slipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

GaRtH_V wrote:

I think you may be wrong here.
    Before, a mod + Devore asked why I had the same IP address as another poster.
    When I explained it was my brother, all was good.
    Also if I was to use boards from a net café or library, would I have to go to every PC in the building to make sure no one else was posting on board?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It is true, you can use two accounts from the same IP. A lot of people have to.

A problem appears when 2 people post from the same IP, trolling in the same forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

feylya wrote:
    A problem appears when 2 people post from the same IP, trolling in the same forum.

Were they really trolling though? I mean, they wouldn't be the first purists to think that certain Fender models have acheived perfection, and that everything since then is blasphemy.

Surely the reaction in this very thread to clearly superior Ibanez guitars would indicate that they're just misguided purists?

Read the thread Hungus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

feylya wrote:
    Read the thread Hungus.

I have read it, there was a disagrement about whether a 3 saddle bridge would intonate full. Was that really trolling? :confused:

Advertisement