Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time of death 4:46am

Options
  • 26-05-2007 4:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭

Its been a long day. I spent the day in the Dublin count centre, helping out a Green Party councillor who I know. Some tears and frustration in Dublin SE and Dublin NE. Surprise at Bertie's antics in Dublin Central. I presume they have all gone home for the night and we won't see anything else until at least midday Saturday, I'm going to call it.

7 constituencies left open (Dublin North, Dublin South-Central, Galway East, Galway West, Laois-Offaly, Tipperary South, Wicklow), but even in these the results are pretty much sown up.

FF 78
    FG 54
    Lab 17
    Green 6
    SF 4
    PD 2
    Ind 5
    Total 166

Now for the high court challenges to the failure to equalise the constituencies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

So what does this mean in terms of government . . . Fianna Fail + PD's + a couple of indos. I presume Harney will now lead the PD's and probably keep health but will she return as tanaiste with just 2 seats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think you have overstated FG and undersated Labour more likely to be FG 51 and Labour 20 and Sinn Fein may be squeezed out for the 4th seat.

So what does this mean in terms of government . . . Fianna Fail + PD's + a couple of indos. I presume Harney will now lead the PD's and probably keep health but will she return as tanaiste with just 2 seats ?

That would only give them 82 they would need PD's and 3 or maybe 4 Independents which would not be a very stable government, I think FF will try and do a deal with the Greens as they would probably only have to give 3 Ministers to them where the PD's may look for 2.

So imo giving away 1 more Minister to the Greens would be the sensible option i.e. a lot more stable. Labour would be looking for far too many Ministers and they would be running the risk of getting hammered at the next election as FG would then be the only alternative and lets be honest FF will do very very well to get a 4th term, I'm still calling it FF and Greens like I did about midnight last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

So what does this mean in terms of government . . . Fianna Fail + PD's?

Ahem, wouldn't that be Fianna Faill + PD? Only one got elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

luckat wrote:
    + PD? Only one got elected.
    President, Leader and Deputy Leader - she'll be getting 3 allowances/expenses. :D

• Advertisement

PD's will have 2 Grealish will win in Galway West

irish1 wrote:
    PD's will have 2 Grealish will win in Galway West
    Yup it looks like he'll make it.

Will they have a vote for leader/deputy? :D

ROFL the PD's should fold up the tent and join another group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

Yup it looks like he'll make it.

Will they have a vote for leader/deputy? :D

Game of musical chairs, loser gets the leadership.

They'll save a fortune in hiring meeting rooms etc.

Charlie Bird (in usual dramatic voice): "Today, before my very eyes, the PD parlimentary party met in the back of Noel Grealish's car"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭yankinlk

pretty obvious that labour should do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They'll save a fortune in hiring meeting rooms etc.

Charlie Bird (in usual dramatic voive): "Today, before my very eyes, the PD parlimentary party met in the back of Noel Grealish's car"

And she'll be able to hold her party meetings in a phone box.

Labour may yet get 20 seats yankinlk hardly a spent force, if they stay in opposition they are sure to grow again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The Muppet wrote:
    And she'll be able to hold her party meetings in a phone box.
    Not if the Minister for Cream Cakes and Confectionary is going to be there.
    She's a one woman crowd.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

luckat wrote:
    Ahem, wouldn't that be Fianna Faill + PD? Only one got elected.
    "The Progressive democrat" I like the sound of that :)

It's a shame there's another one left in the galway races

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't give much for the stability of a FF/PD/Ind government.

By far the best two options for FF look like Greens or Labour.

Labour's growth has been relatively stagnant. If they joined with FF it may do something to raise their profile, and prove their worth in government. They'd have to work hard though. If they just act like lapdogs in the same way that the PDs did, they'll just be annihilated next time by the anti-FF vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

seamus wrote:
    I don't give much for the stability of a FF/PD/Ind government.

By far the best two options for FF look like Greens or Labour.

Labour's growth has been relatively stagnant. If they joined with FF it may do something to raise their profile, and prove their worth in government. They'd have to work hard though. If they just act like lapdogs in the same way that the PDs did, they'll just be annihilated next time by the anti-FF vote.
    Yeah, there are only 5 independents elected so far. and 2 PDs likely. if FF get 78 seats, they'd need all 5 inds or 3 inds + the pds to get the minimum majority and that's very unstable.

I have a feeling Bertie will ditch the PDs and use the greens as their junior partners

Advertisement