Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo copyright issue question

• 26-05-2007 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

If users take copyrighted photos from the net and post them on my community site, ever had any experience dealing with such? Methods of prevention?

would a disclaimer on upload page be enough ?

tnx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

A disclaimer wouldn't be enough.

If the photo is copyright it is copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

To cover yourself, make sure that the upload page has a blatantly obvious Terms & Conditions section indicating that "by uploading a photo you [the user, not actually "you"] indicates that they either (a) took the photo themselves, (b) own the copyright to the photo (c) have the permission of the copyright owner and (d) the permission of the people in the photo (d not strictly being a copyright issue but certainly an unfortunate prerequisite nowadays, especially if there are any photos of kids involved :mad: )

If you can, make sure that the "upload" button or whatever is disabled until they scroll through the T&C and have clicked an "i agree" button.

That way, you can at least be safe in the knowledge that they "told" you that they did own the copyright.

You're still likely to get someone uploading (by lying) without having the permission, but if you can show the above then the general action for an occasional breach would merely be a request to take it down asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

If the op's original query was answered ok, I have another query regarding picture copyright.
    Just last week from a forum I run, a photo I created and posted, was printed in a regional newspaper without my permission.
    I contacted the paper and stated my case regarding copyright as printed on the home page of the site.

Here is an synopsis of the reply I recieved.....

They said they were not aware of any copyright problem with the image they used, and it was used purely for general illustrative purposes to accompany a story.
    They said the image was sourced from the web.
    They also said that the person in the picture was completely
    unrecognisable to any member of the general public.

Does anybody know where I can go from here.

Does anybody know where I can go from here.

A solicitor.

Just because they found an image online does not give them any right to use it. Any suggestion of this is hilarious.

blacknight wrote:
    A solicitor.

Just because they found an image online does not give them any right to use it. Any suggestion of this is hilarious.

Yes, I though that was hilarious.
    I would like to see what would happen if I decided to pull images from the newspapers site and publish them.

You say a solicitor, Blacknight.
    I just wonder am I making a mountain out of a molehill?

• Advertisement

Yes, I though that was hilarious.
    I would like to see what would happen if I decided to pull images from the newspapers site and publish them.

You'd probably get slapped with all sorts of interesting threats

I don't think so.

You take a photo (or write an article - it's the same principle) and someone else takes that work and uses it without your permission.
    You are the holder of the work's rights, so you are perfectly entitled to enforce those rights.

I'm currently having a similar issue regarding content:
    http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2007/05/26/content-theft-what-to-do/

and I know Krystian had problems with one of his photos a while back:
    http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/site-reviews-announcements/265-worst-site-week-5.html#post8571

He managed to get some money from them by standing up for himself

Thanks for that, blacknight.
    Interesting reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You could try posting on one of the photographers forums such as the one on The Irish Photographers' Website - www.irishphotographers.ie - and see what feedback you get from people who have probably been through this already.

One small point, though - I assume that the website that you posted it on (and therefore the one they got it from) has a copyright footer and/or terms of use ? Otherwise there is a small chance that they could claim to be ignorant of the fact that it was copyright ?

Liam Byrne wrote:

One small point, though - I assume that the website that you posted it on (and therefore the one they got it from) has a copyright footer and/or terms of use ? Otherwise there is a small chance that they could claim to be ignorant of the fact that it was copyright ?

Thanks for the advice Liam.
    Yes there is a copyright notice, like the one below, at the bottom of all the pages.

Copyright © 2006 - 2007 IrishGardeners.com

Advertisement