Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Wheelchair user TD

Options
  • 26-05-2007 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭

Sean Connick of Fianna Fail has become Ireland's first TD who is a wheelchair user.

Mr Connick was elected along with Labour's Brendan Howlin on the fifth count in Wexford.

Mr Connick is 43 years of age and married.

He has been using a wheelchair since the age of 12 following an accident.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I am not being disrespectful to the man - but is this remarkable in some way?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The chamber in Leinster House is not particularly wheelchair friendly especially when they have to walk through the division gates at the top for a count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

The chamber in Leinster House is not particularly wheelchair friendly especially when they have to walk through the division gates at the top for a count.

Ah I see.

I thought all public buildings had to be wheelchair accessible? or is that just new ones?

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Sean is from my hometown of New Ross. Although I am not a Fianna Fail supporter I am delighted he got in! He works very hard for the town, and due to his involvement with the dunbrody festival and so on, garnered a huge majority of the youth vote. Hopefully he can deliver for ross. But well done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

slumped wrote:
    I thought all public buildings had to be wheelchair accessible? or is that just new ones?
    All new buildings (public & private) must meet the Part M regulations for accessibility for people with disabilities (which of course deals with more than just wheelchair users).

All public buildings must meet the Part M regulations by 2015, under Section 25 of the Disability Act 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Suzybie

And part M is a really poor piece of legislation which architects abuse continually and pretend that they are implementing when they know nothing about disability. Deputy Connick should not have to become a disability champion in the Dail (I have a feeling it's not his thing anyway) but 8 years is a long time to wait for poorly written, low standards, and poorly monitored legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Just FYI - Part M is currently being reviewed, so expect to see a draft of the new version out for public consultation sometime this year. Do take the opportunity to make your opinions heard.

There is still of course the enforcement issue. See this NDA report for the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Were any special arrangements made for Mr Connick yesterday regarding going through the division gates? I didn't notice any on the television coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Leinster House is not a public building.

Advertisement