Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ufc 71

• 26-05-2007 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Lidelll versus Rampage.....whose your pick? I'll go with Lidell. I've changed my mind after listening to Mike Saywer on figure four radio whose over in Las Vegas. Rampage to win!

It was the lead story on ESPN tv yesterday which is pretty big. You can view it here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22vcz_joe-rogan-on-sportscenter

2 minutes in we get the boxing/MMA debate with a little pro-wrestling thrown in too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

lidell to win but rampage to make chuck earn his paycheque this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haha, nice clip there. A lot of boxing people seem to think that there's no skill involved with MMA and that grappling isn't a legitimate form of fighting. Bit silly really

As for the big fight, if Rampage is at his best then I'd go with him. But looking at them this year, Chuck has been much better. Chuck's wins have all been more impressive than Rampage's too, so I'm goin to go with Chuck. I'm always bettin against him though, so he'd better win this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think Rampage will win again to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

I think it has to be Rampage for the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Update fro the even from Bryan Alvarez of www.f4wonline.com :

UFC 71 is tonight, and it's pretty clear today that this is a big one.UFC is EVERYWHERE today. I turned on ESPN News and literally within five minutes there was UFC discussion. The list of links at the bottom of this page is just a drop in the hat of those that are available around the Internet, and it's being covered strong on all the major sports shows.

Mike Sawyer in Vegas said on Figure Four Daily yesterday (great show, by the way) that the buzz locally is just below that of Liddell vs. Ortiz in December, which did 1.2 million buys on PPV. My initial prediction was in the 580,000 to 610,000 range, but I'm upgrading that dramatically today. I'm now guessing 720,000 to 750,000, and if it turns out to be significantly higher I would not be in the least bit shocked.

- As usual, it's really a one-fight show although the potential is there for many of the undercard matches to be great. They've got a win-win situation with the main event provided the fight is not horrible. Quinton Jackson is a fountain of charisma, and if he wins tonight in spectacular fashion he'll be a gigantic superstar who can hold up his end of the bargain both in and out of the ring. If he loses, well, it's 1-1 and you've got a big rematch.

The UFC hype special and the fact that there have been so many upsets this year have brought the odds down to basically being a pick-em, and some polls, including on Sherdog, have Jackson listed as favorite. Many people are going with their gut and saying Liddell, all the while thinking in the back of their heads that Jackson may very well take it (I would be one of these people). Others, most notably Randy Couture, are flat-out saying Rampage is going to take it.

- It is believed that immediately following the main event there will be the announcement of the next huge superfight, which might be a "UFC vs. PRIDE"-style battle.

• Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssEwKbWCyEI

Jackson has a good sense of humour.

Rampage has more personality than most of the WWE roster combined.

To quote Ron Simmons, "DAMN!". I had a feeling Rampage would win it. But first round KO? That was a surprise!

Top to bottom, it sounds like a very enjoyable show. It could end up being their biggest show yet with all the publicity they got. You can view the main event here :http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/ufc%2B71/video/x238ub_chuck-liddell-vs-quinton-rampage-ja

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Very enjoyable show.
    Glad to see Jackson win.

• Advertisement

Watched a lot of the card last night on Bravo.
    Really enjoyed the Burkman/Parisyan match

Dana White interview on post UFC 71: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDAeosvDNw

They did a gate of 4.4 million dollars and Dana reckons they did right around 1 million buys.

Just in case..
    I found myself cheering on Rampage by the time the fight started. He really looked up for it. He's like the cool heel who it's ok to like! Rampage vs Henderson will seem sort of like a Pride vs Pride fight, but it'll be interesting all the same

Parisyan had yet another very exciting fight. The crowd booing Leben was gas. Next month's event doesn't look great, but the one after that is going to be huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

having just seen it there i must say
    Lidell looked very nervy in the ring. got a bit of a belly on him now too.

Chuck's always had a bit of a belly. I don't think he was nervy, he usually fights by backing off and throwing his left hand out to distract his opponent

They should give Rampage his own interview segment on their shows, The Rampage Realm or somethin, and just have him talk for a few minutes. He's brilliant

Maybe Vince will start using the chain gimmick for Lashley.

Has Jackson ever been approached by WWE?

I wouldn't say so

From UFC junkie:

he Nevada State Athletic Commission has released the fighters’ salary figures for this past weekend’s UFC 71.

As usual these figures do not include the variety of “secret” bonuses the UFC traditionally gives many of its fighters. Those bonuses are known to reach hundreds of thousands of dollars per fight for the UFC’s top fighters. The figures also don’t take into account signing bonuses, sponsorships, pay-per-view cuts/bonuses and the like.

In most cases, the salary reported for the winner is comprised 50% of a base salary and 50% of a win bonus. For example the $8,000 noted for Houston Alexander most likely was composed of $4000 “to show” and $4000 “to win” as a bonus for the victory.

The number for Quinton Jackson is half of what was previously reported by the LA Times (see: Report: Liddell Earned $500,000; Jackson $450,000 at UFC 71). I believe this is because the number originally reported was assumed to be a standard “to show” plus “to win” contract and was thus mistakenly doubled from $225,000 to $450,000. Instead of the standard “to win” bonus, main event fighters are usually compensated with a percentage of Pay Per View sales.

* Quinton Jackson ($225,000) def. Chuck Liddell ($500,000) by KO - Round 1, 1:53
    * Karo Parisyan ($32,000) def. Josh Burkman ($7,000) by unanimous decision
    * Terry Martin ($12,000) def. Ivan Salaverry ($17,500) by TKO - Round 1, 2:04
    * Houston Alexander ($8,000) def. Keith Jardine ($7,000) by TKO - Round 1, 0:48
    * Kalib Starnes ($10,000) def. Chris Leben ($10,000) by unanimous decision
    * Thiago Silva ($16,000) def. James Irvin ($7,000) by TKO - Round 1, 1:06
    * Alan Belcher ($14,000) def. Sean Salmon ($3,000) by guillotine choke - Round 1, 0:53
    * Din Thomas ($28,000) def. Jeremy Stephens ($3,000) by armbar - Round 2, 2:24
    * Wilson Gouveia ($16,000) def. Cermelo Marrero ($5,000) by guillotine choke - Round 1, 3:06

Total fighter payroll as disclosed: $920,500

Advertisement