Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why do you drive your particular car?

Options
  • 26-05-2007 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

All this talk about "girlie" cars vs "manly" cars lately creates the impression that an awful lot of people seem to worry baout the image their cars portray.
    (the legions of bottom spec Beemers out there are another case in point:D )

So ...by what criteria did you pick your car?

When I talk about a certain type, what I mean is (for example) ...not everybody likes driving an MPV but some of us simply have to

Why do you drive what you drive 85 votes

I needed wheels, I got wheels (and an engine)
    0% 0 votes
    Needed a certain type of car, got the cheapest I could find
    18% 16 votes
    Hate my car, but it's what I need and could afford
    8% 7 votes
    Picked the best of a bad bunch, out of necessity
    1% 1 vote
    Within a certain type I picked the one I liked most
    4% 4 votes
    Bought the best new one that I could afford
    40% 34 votes
    Bought the best brand within budget
    3% 3 votes
    Bought the best brand, feck the budget
    16% 14 votes
    Picked the car that best portrays my image
    1% 1 vote
    Ever since I can remember I wanted THIS car
    5% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I like the E39.
    I liked the idea of havinf RWD
    The car was in great condition and had a good spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wanted a Big German Auto so bought one!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    I wanted a Big German Auto so bought one!

Mike.
    Me too - big German diesel auto with RWD!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

I prefer hatchbacks and personally think the Astra GTC is one of the best looking ones out there. Opted for a diesel engine due to covering approx 25,000 KM each year. Window shopping for my next car now thou...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I just loved the look of the Audi A2 and decided to go for one. I saw one on Carzone that I could afford and which had cruise, glass roof, climate control, heated seats etc and just had to have it. I like driving a car which you see so few others of. Other cars I had considered were Renault Avantime, Citroen Pluriel, Fiat Barchetta.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I just love cars and can't stop buying them! 18 of them at the moment that I'm not selling for now and more in stock for sale.:D
    My daily drivers are the X5, Q7, M5 and S8.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Had a budget and had insurance cost restrictions...so got a decent tiny car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

For my first car i picked a 306-van, cheap insurance, cheap tax, cheap to run, and not too fast, which is what someone who is still learning to drive NEEDS.
    I liked the looks of the 306 by comparison to all other car-vans, only the focus van and the corolla van came close. Car-van, perfect starter car imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

budget does not necessarily mean tiny car, i dont like tiny cars, i imagine them as being crap in a crash situation

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

First time insurance, living in the city, just finished college, so have student loans. Add all this together and that's why I have a Punto.

It's a good car though. Nothing wrong with it.

I'm thinking MX5 or so in a year or two. I don't particularly like big cars, and I don't need a massive yoke, but I do want something a little niftier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

stevenk wrote:
    budget does not necessarily mean tiny car, i dont like tiny cars, i imagine them as being crap in a crash situation

It's a Corsa and it's 00 which is probably safer than the 97MY Astra, plus even going to 1.2 made my insurance unaffordable as a first time driver. I spent a good bit of money on buying the car...but I intended on keeping it...14 months on I want to change it. But for a first time driver(not learner) it's been perfect to get some road experience. It's a rough drive on the M7 and M50 and you really have to work it. It's tiring to drive long distance!!

Having become accustomed...I think the best automotive driver aid invention of recent years has to be electric mirrors, they're brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

safety and reliability
    a means of getting from a to b

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Peter C

I looked around for my 523iSE for a year and half to get one with all the goodies, well worth the wait, have it now nearly 4 years,record for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Was restricted by, insurance, wanted a saloon, dont like any other bodytypes.

-VB-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

I drove an Astra for 6 years (1st car) and wanted something bigger, more comfortable, faster with high spec. My budget was between 20-28k and I wasn't looking at anything newer than 2003 since I wanted a good high spec car.

Was looking at Accords (newer), 530D's, 325's Merc E240's, A4 1.8T's, C70's, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Loved the look of the RX7, wanted one for years so as soon as I got out of college and got the money together I bought one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I drove my boxy Micra becuase I got it dirt cheap of my uncle who had it for 11 years prior to that. I don't really care if the car was a 'granny car', I got my 20,000 miles out of it, and that's all that matters.

I currently though between veh-ickles at the moment though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

There one thing missing in the poll.
    I bought this car to make some money on it :)

Well thats what i did and i hope i make some money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Drove big cars all my life, wanted a lexus for years. Picked up a '98 Lexus LS400 Presidential Edition for €8,500 3 months ago. Love it to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

green123 wrote:
    a means of getting from a to b
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

green123 - get thee out of this forum! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

junkyard wrote:
    I just love cars and can't stop buying them! 18 of them at the moment that I'm not selling for now and more in stock for sale.:D
    My daily drivers are the X5, Q7, M5 and S8.

Wow 18 cars for yourself :eek: , I would love that kind of money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Only took up driving last autumn so for my first car wanted something relatively cheap, second hand that was easy to insure and wouldn't go down in value too much over the course of my ownership. So I went for a 2001 peugeot 106 and I love it. Currently looking at getting something a bit bigger and more "manly" (raaawwr) and have kind of set my heart on a 406 coupé, but I hvae no doubt I'll miss the 106. I've driven three other similarly sized hatches and none of them had the same appeal or looks. It is a bit small though if you're over 5' 9"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

i bought this because i thought it was one of the nicest looking cars i had seen that was within budget. my next door neighbour had one of these when i was 10 and i swore i would own one some day.i'm now 21 and here she is!
    PICT0070.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

is that picture in Liscannor, Co. Clare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

no bearna ,galway

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See one pier, you've seen em all!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I bought my car because it is comfortable, practical, painless to own, takes high mileage with ease and most importantly of all, I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

I wanted a car with which I could be at one, a car which involves me more than any other car. I don't need transport. I'm not old, so I don't need comfort. I'm interested in driving, so I don't need gadgets, radio, etc. I don't drive huge distances, so I don't need good economy. I got myself a Sylva Striker.
    A picture, not my car, but it gives a sense of perspective:
    cadwell_joy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

peasant wrote:
    So ...by what criteria did you pick your car?
    Almost purely emotional. I do have a list of things my car must have, but I have often bought and loved cars lacking one or more of them. I loved my Alfa 156, and I love my Audi A8. Apart from their both being the same colour, they really have little enough in common. And yet, when I look back on them, almost all of my cars have shared a certain something, I just can't find the words to explain what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Its the "The Ultimate Driving Machine", nothing more needs to be said

Advertisement