Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

National Average Mileage?

Options
  • 26-05-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Just been round to a few dealers doing some window shopping. Obviously I know I’ll get a better deal if I sell my car privately, but the reaction from some of the dealers when I told them my ’06 has nearly 50,000 KM (30k miles) on it made some of them wince…..
    So, what is now considered as average mileage? I always remember dad talking about 12k miles being the national average but surely with the massive number of people commuting from Meath, Kildare & Wicklow directions to work in Dublin directions means that figure can’t be realistic anymore?
    By the way my current car is a 3dr Astra – hence why I’ve got a diesel and I had 32k KM (20K miles) on it after a year.
    Is it the case I’m not that bad and a dealer is always gonna find something wrong with your car so he can offer a lower trade in??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

By the way my current car is a 3dr Astra – hence why I’ve got a diesel and I had 32k KM (20K miles) on it after a year.
    Is it the case I’m not that bad and a dealer is always gonna find something wrong with your car so he can offer a lower trade in??:confused:

20k seems alright.I did the same in my golf last year and had no problem selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

drdre wrote:
    and had no problem selling it.
    Selling it shouldn't be a problem - avoiding getting fleeced from a dealer is a bigger issue....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The national average is just that - the average! So while it will have crept up in the age of distance commuting, the majority of journeys are still less than 20 miles a day. 20 x 5 x 52 = 5200 miles! Add weekend/extras and most of us are still only in the 7/8k a year.

Mike.

Selling it shouldn't be a problem - avoiding getting fleeced from a dealer is a bigger issue....:(
    Yeah then try sell it private as dealers always will try and screw you for the best price

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I did 11,000 miles last year. My commute is a mere 12 miles each way with no traffic jams :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

With many dealers its seems to be 9k miles (theoretical figure) a year when they are valueing a trade-in, but suddenly rises to 12k (as the practical figure) !!! when they are selling on to the public. One rule for buying and another for selling.

Bit like trade, book and retail price, so variables exist. I think in Autocar and such like they use to base residual values for example on a 3 year/36,000 mile basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,447 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In fairness, what dealer would want a 1 year old astra diesel 3 door, regardless of mileage, Opel dealers already have loads of ex-hire Astras from last year that they can't sell.

colm_mcm wrote:
    In fairness, what dealer would want a 1 year old astra diesel 3 door, regardless of mileage, Opel dealers already have loads of ex-hire Astras from last year that they can't sell.

I obviously know I’ll get a better deal if I sell my car privately. The point of tread is figure out what is roughly the average - at least on this board.

I obviously know I’ll get a better deal if I sell my car privately. The point of tread is figure out what is roughly the average - at least on this board.

It will take longer to sell but dont sell it to trade, just sell it privatly

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I do maybe 8,000 miles PA. If I were to guess at the average, i'd say maybe 12k PA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,215 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just been round to a few dealers doing some window shopping. Obviously I know I’ll get a better deal if I sell my car privately, but the reaction from some of the dealers when I told them my ’06 has nearly 50,000 KM (30k miles) on it made some of them wince…..
    So, what is now considered as average mileage? I always remember dad talking about 12k miles being the national average but surely with the massive number of people commuting from Meath, Kildare & Wicklow directions to work in Dublin directions means that figure can’t be realistic anymore?

The average was about 12k miles a year for a petrol and 20k miles for a diesel. But these days people commute further to and from work so that average has increased.

As for dealers' reactions to your car with only 50k km, you should see them turn pale when they see my car, 2003 with 140k miles and it's a petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I did about 8000 miles a year when living in Ireland...now around 3000. If I did 20,000 in a year I'd be fit for the mad house.

zuutroy wrote:
    I did about 8000 miles a year when living in Ireland...now around 3000. If I did 20,000 in a year I'd be fit for the mad house.

A 20 minute 20 mile blast up the motorway to work, 20 miles back + a weekly work related trip x 5 days a week + a spin somewhere at the weekend all add up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Well the basic rule for me is 12 to 14k on a petrol and 15-18k on a diesel, which is a fair average, the for every extra k take about 100-150 off the book value

id say you'll be getin nothing like you paid for it, the market is crowded with astra's i would'nt want one for sure i would imagine you getting offers some where in around 18-19k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭MAYPOP

Some dealers use the 12,000 miles for the first year, and 8,000 miles per annum thereafter as their magic formula;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Just did a quick tot of a list of cars for sale in a national newspaper by one well know dublin dealer (34 cars) - avg 7300 miles per year - from a range of cars from 1 to 12 years old. Not very scientific as I suppose they are likely to have passed, or sold on, very high mileage stuff. So I would estimate the figure to be on the low side. There is a lot of 30 to 40k/yr vehicles out there by folk who do travel teh country as part of their job.

Do exactly the classic 12k per year myself (even tho only a a 2 mile commute to work).

Advertisement