Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain

Options
  • 26-05-2007 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I am taking apart my old bike and i have gotten stuck with the chain which i can't take off, how do i break the chain or whatever? i am new to this maintenance stuff, i'm just hoping i'll learn something from my boredom induced desire to take the bike apart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

Go to your Local bike shop and ask for a chain removal tool. Ask the Guy for advice on how to use it.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

thanks for the advise it's just i'm in budapest and so far i haven't found a single bike store with good english, is it difficult to use this chain removal tool? also are they expensive? cheers for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

You can get a chain removal tool for a few euro, the Park Tools or BB brands seem to be fairly ubiquitous.

This tool basically pushes the interlocking pin out from one of the links, so breaking the chain. One caveat - never push the pin all the way out of the plate, just push it enough so that you can break the chain. This takes practice.

Best thing to do would be to google it, there are decently prepared guides on this which should explain all this better than me! :) It'll wreck your head first time around

thanks dude, i was going to buy one today but apparently its a holiday today??

one other thing i wanted to ask all of ye, I have started riding a fixie and i think that i need to tighten the tension on the chain, it's a track frame with horizontal drop outs, so i'm just wondering can i loosen the bolts and just slide back the wheel and tighten again or is that too simple, is there more to it?

cheers for the help so far, i prefer to ask questions here because it can be very annoying going to bicycle shops over here as I keep saying:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

wahlrab wrote:
    can i loosen the bolts and just slide back the wheel and tighten again or is that too simple, is there more to it?

Simple as that...

http://www.63xc.com/willm/wheelset.htm

• Advertisement

Thank You sorted the problem right out

Advertisement