Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham back in England squad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

But to what end? England does'nt lack right-sided players. All of whom will be rightly pissed off as McUseless backtracks.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

To be fair , none of them have been there and done it for their country like him and he is in great form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not familiar with his Real form this year I confess. But in terms of McClarens own consistancy and man managment its pretty shoddy.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

well... at least we know what kind of a manager McClaren is now. a pushover.

even though Beckham has been playing well, i dont think he should have been called up. What i've seen of england playing is that for all the big names on the team there's no real creativity on the team and the end up resorting to more direct football and set plays. Beckham returning will only compound this type of play, as almost everything will go through him from midfield to front man, whereas i think England should be focusing on lennon and SWP and players of the like and developing a more fluid style of play similar to united (and Chelsea in those rare occasions they do come out to play), with lots of interchange and link ups between midfield and forward so they can break the better teams down. its what England really lack as a team i fell, and bringing Beckham back wont bring them any further along in development terms.

but then again... developing a fluid style of play probably needs a good manager. i dont think McClaren qualifies as anything more than decent at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    But to what end? England does'nt lack right-sided players. All of whom will be rightly pissed off as McUseless backtracks.

Mike.
    Lampard out. If Scolari was in charge he wouldn't be afraid to drop Lampard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

About time Becks was back in the squad, hope he can do it for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

I think its just going to be abit of a Beckham swansong, he gets a chance to say a proper goodbye to the fans before he heads to the US. He is in great form at the mo but he surely wont get picked while playing a lower standard of football in America.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

McClaren would have loved to not have to do this, and for his england to have actually preformed thus far, so he could look to the future with people like Lennon but based on who the best squad of english players available are right now inc form etc he should be there.

interesting to see if he will warm the bench tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Beckham is the best right winger England have.
    Englands problem wasn't him, it's with their central midfield combination. But people couldn't see past Lampard and Gerrard both being the best central midfielders in the world, and thus blamed it on Beckham.
    Beckham has been Englands best player for a long time, the amount of goals and assists he gets is better than anyone.

McClaren made the wrong choice, wanted to look strong, but wouldn't drop either Lampard or Gerrard, so just looked stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Beckham has been in great form for Real. He's gotten at least one assist in every recent match he's played.

He deserves the call up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

PHB wrote:
    Englands problem wasn't him, it's with their central midfield combination. But people couldn't see past Lampard and Gerrard both being the best central midfielders in the world, and thus blamed it on Beckham.
    Beckham has been Englands best player for a long time, the amount of goals and assists he gets is better than anyone.

McClaren made the wrong choice, wanted to look strong, but wouldn't drop either Lampard or Gerrard, so just looked stupid.

QFT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

PHB wrote:

yeah but as long as you have Beckham in the squad you're always gonna have the same problems. he's there escape route, they rely on him too much. if he has a bad game England struggle to get a result etc. for me its similar to the RVN sale. the teams best finisher, but everything was entirely dependent on him. now that he has gone we a see a much more versatile and creative united imo.

but regardless Englands current problems are just that McClaren isn't good enough. decent prem coach but he'll never improve them beyond what he has inherited from sven. loads of wasted potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

now that he has gone we a see a much more versatile and creative united imo.

Fair enough, but England have taken a step backwards without Beckham. Players like Lennon can't be relied on to make the difference on such a big stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I accepted him getting sold from United, but England is very different. United are a much better team and more diverse team that England, and also have the option of replacing him with someone who could take over, was meant to be Ronaldinho, ended up being Ronaldo. England have Lennon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Beckham has been in great form for Real. He's gotten at least one assist in every recent match he's played.

He deserves the call up.
    Another one tonight great cross for Raul.

Advertisement