Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbeth -Modern Relevance

Options
  • 26-05-2007 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Just wondering how one should approach the question. Is it sufficient to discuss specific themes that could be relevant to modern times, or is it required to relate it to a certain aspect/event/individual of modern times?:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

How likely is this question to come up? As if it does, I'll be getting an A1 in English..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

How likely is this question to come up? As if it does, I'll be getting an A1 in English..

Well done. Care to help us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Macbeth Q is only 60 marks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

I'm hoping kingship will come up, but I just thought I should prepare something on this just to be safe:o

I'd love a Q on Macbeth, Lady Macbeth or preferably both... then again anything on the play would be great coz I love everything in it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

What can ya say about the theme of kingship? Cos if it comes up, well I dont know it that well. Mainly evil. Could do Lady Macbeth aswell though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

What characers is everyone studying? Obviously Macbeth and Lady Macbeth but after that who? I was thinking Banquo, Duncan maybe Macduff and the Witches but I dunno..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I love kingship! Did it in the mocks. basically duncan/macbeth/malcolm..the massive wheel theory..how macbeth fell in love with idea of a crown, helped by lady m, but never thought about actually ruling the kingdom..nature disturbed..kingdom in state of unrest- until rightful king is restored..and the qualities of kingship, as listed by malcolm.

Modern relevance is being tipped by the institute. I'd love kingship/evil/relationship m and lady m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

It has modern relevance because the characters' psychological traits are reflected in modern times.

Cue answer analysing the characters' thoughts and actions which are not very different to what one might expect from an individual today.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

md99 wrote:
    Macbeth Q is only 60 marks...

wtf is your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

I think the whole idea of "vaulting ambition" is relevent to the modern world, we all instinctively want to do well.
    Also how LAdy Macbeth pushes Macbeth, that is seen everyday with people pushing their partners into jobs they dont want etc. just for the power feeling that comes with success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

wtf is your point?

I think it's that 60 markss =/= an A1

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

the massive wheel theory..how macbeth fell in love with idea of a crown, helped by lady m, but never thought about actually ruling the kingdom
    Huh.I never thought of it like that....Hurray another paragraph to throw into my essay!Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Huh.I never thought of it like that....Hurray another paragraph to throw into my essay!Thanks!

Yay, just a whole essay to write for me on that one:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

wtf is your point?
    As in an A1 in this Q alone wont = an A1 in english overall

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Power corrupts - Illegal Invasion of Iraq ? They'd LOVE that :rolleyes:

wtf is your point?
    thanks to Nehpets/Marshy for clearing things up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭blondie07

would anyone be able to put up a sample answer to it? i would have absolutely no idea what to write if that came up, pretty much banking on kingship or lady macbeth/macbeth comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Modern revelence=what do we like about the play.
    Macbeth is a powerful vision of evil, of the dangers of 'vaulting ambition'. It contains an insight into the mind of a man, in a process of such self destruction that by the play's conclusion Macbeth is nothing but a shell of his fomer self,he has lost all that is dear to him-his wife, his sanity and his friends. To him life is pointless 'a tale told by an idiot..signifying nothing'. Yet we do feel some measure of sympathy for him and his plight. We understand his condition, we all ourselves contain such a flaw. As such the play is about the human condition which is obviously very much the same today.

Repeat the above for evil, the importance of leaders(bring in the election perhaps), the moral degredation of society today and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

What themes is everyone actually learning? We have power, good and evil, kingship, deception, appearance and reality, disorder, ambition. manliness and then the stuff like the atmosphere and imagery plus all the characters. Do we really need to know it all??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

What themes is everyone actually learning?

Don't think about it that way. If you know the story, the characters and a little bit of the imagery, you can answer every question they can throw at you. If a question comes up that you haven't seen don't freak out. If you can answer a question on macbeth and kingship you can form the information on those answers around any question. Best advice I can give is before you start answering, do a quick template of what you're going to write. Relaxes you and lets you think about it for a little while intead of staring at the paper going "OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD!":D

Advertisement