Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space: Above and Beyond

Options
  • 26-05-2007 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

So any fans here? I love it as a kid and just got my hands on it recently. A fantastic show!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Yeah, I bought the boxset off Amazon.com a few months ago, good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

It really is. A shame it only lasted for one season, but I suppose it's in good company in that respect! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Watched the full season a few months ago, to be honest, I'm not overly sure I see the big deal. Granted, I kept the pilot and "Pearly" on my hard drive, but that's just because I like R. Lee, and share a bit of an affinity with the tanker. "Louis Falk, Sergeant First Class, 7th Cavalry. From Custer's last stand to here, if there's a massacre, we're in it!"

Shame he didn't last too long.

I think the season would have done better had they stuck to just flying, or just being grunts. The whole "We're goign to use a squadron of trained attack pilots and use them for ground recon" thing just didn't work right.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Na, i liked it and every time we hae a thread about it here i say ill watch it but i never get around to it, i haent seen it in 4 or so years now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Loved it but watched it again recently and not so much anymore. Must be an age thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Nukem wrote:
    Loved it but watched it again recently and not so much anymore. Must be an age thing!

I always thought that SAAB was more of a cheese thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

currently watching it again and i'm surprised how well it holds up
    it feels just as gritty as Battlestar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I was very under whelmed by it, more cheese than B5, but without the charecters and story's to back it up (which is why its still, imo the best sci-fi), the action is pretty poor too, very disappointed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Pugsley wrote:
    I was very under whelmed by it, more cheese than B5, but without the charecters and story's to back it up (which is why its still, imo the best sci-fi), the action is pretty poor too, very disappointed by it.

Thats your opinion. I disagree. Space Above and Beyond is the best sci-fi series apart from Trek and Battlestar. The action kicks ass, I like the way it can be infantry or space based. I loved the series. It rocked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Good show, i read it was the originally Firefly, in that it got a crappy timeslot, sundays and was constantly preempted by footy, b.ball etc and so got crap ratings and was cancelled.

The whole jet fighter pilots, who also double upped as marines seemed a bit daft to me, watching it a second time around. some bad but also a few superb episodes. Best episode was when the Invetro dude was on a covert assasination mission, there was little or no speech during it. oh yeah and the asian baseball nut annoyed the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I remember enjoying the show immensely - I'm gonna watch it again to see how it holds up.

Can really only vividly remember
    the open-ended finale with Asian marine left behind provding cover fire for fleeing marines or something.

I read that the show had some influences from Haldeman's The Forever War - love that book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

did you know that at the time it was the most expensive tv show ever?

something like a million per episode

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeh, $1.5mil - $2mil or something.

Another factor in its cancellation probably :/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I really loved this show back in the day. The hammerheads were very cool.
    Watching the new BSG brought back happy memories of it. But I'm a little anxious about revisiting it. Hope it hasn't aged too much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As I always say when this show comes up, it sucked, and sucked big time, in my humble opinion, just found the whole military jingoist stuff too much. Pen Densham was behind it and he also made the equally excrement smelling Outer Limits, yeah, right, outer limits of my patience more like!

Advertisement