Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture of Jackie Healy Rae

Options
  • 26-05-2007 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Would anyone have a photo or link to a photo of Jackie healy rae marching through a street in Kerry with turf buring on a stick
    Appreciate it thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭BigTommyBomb

What was the story behind that picture? Did they find a gay in the village?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

Don't give it to him lads, he is only going to make more kerry jokes...

For Gods sake man, have we not suffered enough with that mans reelection ?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

No that was this picture.

http://ted.examiner.ie/archives/images/front_010212.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Whatever your view of Jackie Healy-Rae he has managed to do something that no other politician "in the wide earthly world" ;) has managed to do.
    He's managed to make John O'Donoghue look like he's a competent politician instead of simply a complete gombeen :eek:.

They were both on tv last night at about 1am after the South Kerry recount and it was priceless viewing :o .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was an old tradition in that part of Munster to hold a rally for a politician and theyre going to it in that picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

DeepBlue wrote:
    They were both on tv last night at about 1am after the South Kerry recount and it was priceless viewing :o .

"I tell you now, this year it's a big list!" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

DeepBlue wrote:

Yeah, Bryan Robson doing a baby voice. Bit of a culture clash there. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spalad

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

nesf wrote:
    "I tell you now, this year it's a big list!" :)

"And John here beside me is going to be paying for it all!!"

Great Viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

JackieChan wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    Would anyone have a photo or link to a photo of Jackie healy rae marching through a street in Kerry with turf buring on a stick
    Appreciate it thanks
    I know the picture you're talking about - someone posted it on here but I can't find it. Looks like something from the civil war.

And it wasn't just him, it was an entire flying column of pikemen!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Ah guys. My grandfather told me a story of how he welcomed back a TD in the 30's in this way. It reminded me of the picture I had seen of JHR and I wanted to show him it.
    Although for me it just reminded me of the beginning of Shrek!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

JackieChan wrote:
    Ah guys. My grandfather told me a story of how he welcomed back a TD in the 30's in this way. It reminded me of the picture I had seen of JHR and I wanted to show him it.
    Although for me it just reminded me of the beginning of Shrek!

It was in the Irish Examiner that I saw it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

jmccrohan wrote:
    "And John here beside me is going to be paying for it all!!"

Great Viewing
    lol yeah it really was... very 'Irish'. Don't suppose anyone has a videolink to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Anton74

JackieChan wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    Appreciate it thanks

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dead-man-walking-not-miracle-bertie-as-party-now-gets-the-kiss-of-life-680304.html

The mighty Zaphod put a pic here. As I said there, it really does look like Germany in the 1930s.

Jackie Healy Rae is a talented experienced politician who really cares about the constituents who elected him and for that matter for those who did not also. I have personal experience of seeing how he works and how he helps people. He is a no nonsense person who always has time to listen. He is very generous and understanding. He has worked all his life overcoming many difficulties and I cannot think of a smarter or better person to represent South Kerry. Those people who mock him should take a closer look at themselves and see how perfect they are!!

Congrats Jackie! Keep up the good work! And yes he does things they way they used to be done years ago..and what harm is that? Its refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

That's precisely why he's criticised on this forum Anton74 - he represents people who have their dinner in the middle of the day with their problems about potholes. He doesn't add to the National Parliament or the legislative process all that much.

Ibid - Thanks for the info about potholes...you know they can be problematic to those who have to drive in them and wreck their cars on a daily basis or cause on accident because of one!! Healy Rae has helped with unemployment, health issues, immigration issues, womens issues, housing, poverty, old age pensioners issues, youth issues, farming and fishing concerns so perhaps we should be careful when we strike out against those because a few people think its funny to talk about pot holes in Kerry...Ireland needs diversity in politics and though he may not be the politician you admire many others are very grateful to him for all his contributions and help over the years! Never judge a book by its cover! :)

Ibid wrote:
    That's precisely why he's criticised on this forum Anton74 - he represents people who have their dinner in the middle of the day with their problems about potholes. He doesn't add to the National Parliament or the legislative process all that much.

He is the perfect antidote to the sharp suits, slick smiles and money worries of official Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Anton74 wrote:
    Ibid - Thanks for the info about potholes...
    You're very welcome :P.
    you know they can be problematic to those who have to drive in them and wreck their cars on a daily basis or cause on accident because of one!!
    Oh I know that very well. But if potholes aren't the raison d'être of county councils what is?
    Healy Rae has helped with unemployment
    I think Social Partnership and the IDA had a more important role.
    health issues
    There's a Department for Health and several national strategies to address this.
    immigration issues
    Absolutely certainly an issue to be dealt with in an integrated national approach.
    womens issues
    Equality Authority.
    housing
    National Housing Strategy; Junior Minister.
    poverty
    Combat Poverty Agency.
    old age pensioners issues
    Social welfare.
    youth issues
    Department of Health and Children.
    farming and fishing concerns
    Department of Marine..
    so perhaps we should be careful when we strike out against those because a few people think its funny to talk about pot holes in Kerry.
    I wasn't picking on Healy-Rae or Kerry, just so you know. My constituency recently elected an Independent primarily because she was a good councillor. It's a national problem to be honest, endemic in our over-representation in the Dáil and the subsequent bargaining power only certain regions get over others. It's a serious issue that is self-perpetuating - people complain about "Dublin getting all the money" etc., that's not going to stop until we get rid of petty local politics and initiate genuine national strategies. Unfortunately that's not going to happen. Nonetheless, it doesn't provide an argument (imo) for a continuation of local politicians who fix your potholes getting elected.
    Ireland needs diversity in politics and though he may not be the politician you admire many others are very grateful to him for all his contributions and help over the years! Never judge a book by its cover! :)
    We do indeed need diversity: it's a pity someone like Colm O'Gorman doesn't get elected. It's why I gave a transfer to a Green Party candidate. And I do of course appreciate the democratic mandate given to Healy-Rae and the trojan work he has put in over the years, but I really think we could all, collectively, do better if we stop being so myopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Ibid wrote:
    And I do of course appreciate the democratic mandate given to Healy-Rae and the trojan work he has put in over the years, but I really think we could all, collectively, do better if we stop being so myopic.

The fact is that what he does is help his own area, when asked about fisheries by my aunt (who was asking with protection of fish in mind) knew that it was taking too long for people to get permits. If he even acknowledged the bigger picture...

Advertisement