Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish Broadband's service still bad?

Options
  • 26-05-2007 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭

My friend is looking for wireless broadband. I know Digiweb have a good reputation, certainly worth considering. What about the "Broadband in a Box" Ripwave service from Irish Broadband? It's far more affordable and flexible, but I can see more than half of people in the poll above are unhappy with their service. Has there been a improvement recently? Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭wba88

Oracle wrote:
    My friend is looking for wireless broadband. I know Digiweb have a good reputation, certainly worth considering. What about the "Broadband in a Box" Ripwave service from Irish Broadband? It's far more affordable and flexible, but I can see more than half of people in the poll above are unhappy with their service. Has there been a improvement recently? Any comments appreciated, thanks.
    Im also looking for the same info. Does any1 know if Vodafones 3G Broadband is good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ripwave and Clearwire are generally rubbish , very slow and nothing near advertised . Clearwire also use aggresive debt collectors who chase customers who drop their service for being crap ....to add insult to injury.

They are dialup substitutes for most not bb at all.

3g services of note are Voda and recently 3 who launched a 10gb cap package during the week for the price of Ripwave ( €20 a month) . These can also vary hugely in quality for complex technical reasons . If you get a quiet sector near a mast they can offer 1.8mbit -3.6mbit type speeds ..or nearly. If busy it can be dialup like.

Most of the 4 will allow you a 14 day no obligation trial although there are persistent rumours that clearwire works fine when on trial and goes straight to hell when you sign their 2 year contract .

O2 have crap 3 packages and should be avoided till they offer something more acceptable .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Thanks for the update Sponge Bob, that's IBB off my list so.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

There's more to Irish Broadband than Ripwave...

If you're looking for a fixed solution, their Breeze service works great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Whoaaaa , I said ripwave is rubbish but IBB have two other services that are good if not great in many cases . These are fixed services not the mobile Ripwave .

The point you missed is that "Mobile" services are generally dodgy ...as in all of them. Thats my fault in a way.

If you go fixed you should look at Digiweb metro as well which is great in most cases ...except maybe v south Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

OK thanks I think I'm clear now. It's Ripwave that I wanted to know about anyway. I think Digiweb Metro is the one I'll be recommending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

If you're going to recommend Digiweb Metro then you should be considering IBB Breeze too. Both products are fixed wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They aren't the same at all. Digiweb has another wireless product which is similar to Breeze. Metro can go much faster with more range and also includes up to two phone ports and phone service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Irish Broadband has this service which works over Breeze: http://www.irishbroadband.ie/talk/introduction.php

And Digiweb's FWA service is much, much slower than Breeze or Metro and is near the same price for the other two's standard packages.

From the consumer's point of view, Digiweb Metro and IBB's Breeze + Talk are roughly equivalent in terms of price and quality of service. Metro has better download speeds but slower upload speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nips147

Oracle wrote:
    ive been usin irish broadband for about two years and although initially it was pretty slow they have doubled the rate of megs and i have to say i have no complaints it costs 35.99euro a month no phone line or line rental just a small dish on the aerial,if you order that service they will usually have it installed inside 5 working days,you should also consider BT IRELAND they have a deal of broadband and free national phone calls for 45euro per month the feed back ive gotten have been pretty positive just an option.goodluck anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Breeze 2 mb for 36 a month looks decent for what I'm thinking of doing, shoving eircom and utv and using my mobile for the very small number of voice calls I make.

Is Breeze a breeze? How does it work - small disk nailed on the chimney or a stand alone gimzo indoors?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

Mike65 Breeze is a fixed antennae stuck onto your chimney but they won't install on apartment blocks or on buildings over two storeys. There is also no installation fee or no download limits

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Is Irish Broadband's service still bad?

yes. its crap. my upload has died again, and customer service line is closed.

IBB= SCUM

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pedropumpalot

womoma is see that your in Glasnevin, what part of Glasnevin and what product are you using? Of course customer services is closed, do you think they stay open 24hr/day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Personal experience: Ripwave is a disaster.
    Information that I've gleaned from others: Breeze is good.
    Other info gleaned and witnessed since I binned Ripwave - it hasn't changed.

So considering the OP specifically asked if Ripwave was bad, the answer is a resounding "Yes".

At its best, it's a dialup replacement (not proper broadband); at its worst, plug in the modem again and you'll get better speeds and reliability (Fact: I had to do this a few times before I dumped it and got proper BB from Smart!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

I have had two experiences with IBB one good and one bad!

Had it in Blanchardstown, 3mb Fixed Wireless, absolute terrible service - it worked for 2 weeks out of 4 months - eventually I had to cancel DD with them

Then got it in Coolock more recently - it works fine - speeds arent reallly 3mb, more 2.5mb and it drops a little in the afternoon but I find power cycling the antenna fixes that.
    Initial setup problem, engineers gave me the wrong TCP/IP settings - easily sorted though

It is great for Torrents - full speeds on everything I download and no caps!

And I have heard rumours they are upgrading all the packages and reducing the pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I used to have IBB Breeze and it was sh1t, constantly dropping the signal.

Also took ages to get an install.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Wireless operator depends on your area I think. Some masts have give terrible service for a wireless operator that is generally good.

At least that is my take on it given there are complaints about IBB here but my service is great in Maynooth.

Sometimes it drops to 80KB/s but that is rare. Normally we get 240KB/s with IBB Breeze, 2Mbps package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ouldscratch

The-Rigger wrote:
    I used to have IBB Breeze and it was sh1t, constantly dropping the signal.

Also took ages to get an install.

It does depend on your area, something as simple as a tree can interrupt the signal because the fixed wireless internet works on a basis of line of sight so you antenae must see the mast.

Advertisement