Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy a 1.4 brand new golf

Options
  • 26-05-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    Need some help as my sister is looking for a 1.4 5dr sportline golf. Cn you tell me whats the discount she should get off a list price.Also she is looking for it quick so will be looking for garages with stock as she cant wait to order it.

Can you guys tell me what discount you have got?
    Who is the cheapest golf dealer in ireland

She wouldnt mind buying off someone outside of dublin but the price has to be right

Hope to get some feedback and if somone works in vw sales drop me a pm :)

Finally i was going to ask what discount should be on a demo 1.4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Definitely not in Dublin anyway! I was trading in a 98 Mk4 2 years ago and Michael Moore down in Portarlington gave me 2 grand more on the trade in than any dealer in Dublin. He also threw in spot lights on the car which is about €200 extra, I do believe.

Country dealers tend to have less overheads than their Dublin counterparts so can decrease their profit margins. I'd say ring some of the country dealers.

EDIT: I had also tried a few dealers in Cork, Galway and Donegal (furthest counties from Dublin) and none of the could beat Micheal Moores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

flanzer wrote:
    Definitely not in Dublin anyway! I was trading in a 98 Mk4 2 years ago and Michael Moore down in Portarlington gave me 2 grand more on the trade in than any dealer in Dublin. He also threw in spot lights on the car which is about €200 extra, I do believe.

Country dealers tend to have less overheads than their Dublin counterparts so can decrease their profit margins. I'd say ring some of the country dealers.

Thanks i will tell her to check out micheal moore.
    Has anyone dealt with sheehy motors? What are they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're pretty expensive. try Al Hayes in Portumna, they give large discounts.

colm_mcm wrote:

Do they just give it or will she have to bargain with garages.As they just start there trick like oh theres really low margins in cars like the golf blah blah blah :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

I was quoted 2K off a new Sportline 1.4 5 door over the phone by Ballsbridge Motors about 6 weeks ago without trying too hard - I was checking colour availability. From what I remember, there was a choice of silver and blue at the time. I was enquiring on behalf of a work colleague who's convinced that a man's voice will get better results from salesmen :rolleyes: .

• Advertisement

Spit62500 wrote:
    I was quoted 2K off a new Sportline 1.4 5 door over the phone by Ballsbridge Motors about 6 weeks ago without trying too hard - I was checking colour availability. From what I remember, there was a choice of silver and blue at the time. I was enquiring on behalf of a work colleague who's convinced that a man's voice will get better results from salesmen :rolleyes: .

By any chance do you know the name of the guy you were talking to? 2k sounds good off a 22k car :)

aren't they updating the Golf soon?

colm_mcm wrote:

Thats a good question, i read that somewhere butim not sure.

Does anyone have any updates

golffaceliftqg1.png

colm_mcm wrote:
    golffaceliftqg1.png

Is there any more information on when its coming out here.She needs a car soon as someone hit the back of her car and insurance are paying for her old car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

when you go to sell it the D reg gets a better resale value.alot of dublin people will not drive a mayo reg for example.snobby i know!

drdre wrote:
    Is there any more information on when its coming out here.She needs a car soon as someone hit the back of her car and insurance are paying for her old car.

Is she certain she wants a Golf?

when you go to sell it the D reg gets a better resale value.alot of dublin people will not drive a mayo reg for example.snobby i know!

Yeah we will in dublin so she will have a D reg, thanks

colm_mcm wrote:
    Is she certain she wants a Golf?

Yes she wants a golf, i had a 1.4 before and was really happy with it.So she wants the same its really realiable and for 20k is really smooth drive :)
    She likes the shape and wants to keep it for 2-3 years.Resale is good so she wont loose too much.Well i lost nothing after driving it for a year as it looked great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

colm_mcm wrote:
    As I keep saying on boards.ie nothing is confirmed yet. Even if a new model is out in 12 months a right hand drive won't be out until the following 12 months - such is the way VW operate. Also VW are rumored to be reducing the build quality to bring it inline price wise with it's competitors. The independent rear suspension is also rumored to be going. It's been no secret that the latest Golf costs a damn fortune to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bluetonic wrote:
    Also VW are rumored to be reducing the build quality...
    Again??

Bluetonic wrote:
    Even if a new model is out in 12 months a right hand drive won't be out until the following 12 months - such is the way VW operate.
    WHat other mainstream models have had a 12 month delay before?

Anan1 wrote:
    Again??
    Not sure exactly what your looking for lad?
    colm_mcm wrote:
    WHat other mainstream models have had a 12 month delay before?
    I wasn't saying there'd be a 12 month delay, I was talking about the 12 months which follow the left hand drive release. Maybe I should have added a 'during' in there!

Mk5 left hand drive available November 2003.
    Mk5 right hand drive available July/August 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

Bluetonic wrote:
    As I keep saying on boards.ie nothing is confirmed yet. Even if a new model is out in 12 months a right hand drive won't be out until the following 12 months - such is the way VW operate. Also VW are rumored to be reducing the build quality to bring it inline price wise with it's competitors. The independent rear suspension is also rumored to be going. It's been no secret that the latest Golf costs a damn fortune to build.

They will probably simplify the shell and reduce the amount of fabrication and welding.

As for getting rid of the independent rear suspension, ford seem to be able to turn a profit on the focus, and also, unlike VW, actually developed the system themselves. They might be like toyota with the auris and make half decent handling an "optional extra".

nobody's gone for the "optional extra" handling model on the Auris (it's not even on Toyota's website) Wouldn't mind a drive in it at some stage, probably have to go to the UK.

• Advertisement

So lets get back to the point.
    Looking for a 2007, black ,5dr, sportsline, wheres the best and cheapest place anywhere in ireland. Have been quoted approx 24k list and 2k discount so asking price is just above 22k.Still abit steep in my opinion.

Are there any extras aside from the book price to go on it? Metallic paint (500 euro).... etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

drdre wrote:
    By any chance do you know the name of the guy you were talking to? 2k sounds good off a 22k car :)

I've no idea - I had a quick look at their website for a staff listing but there's none there....

My sister traded her '05 Sportline for the same again earlier this year and reckons that the new one is far better than her old one in terms of 'feel' - I've no idea if there's been much tweaking but she's not the type to have imagined it. Then again, her old one could have been a lemon. The standard air con is a big plus on the '07.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

colm_mcm wrote:

I had loads of trouble buying a car from them a few years ago. Would not buy a spark plug there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Newcastle West Motors in Limerick are supposed to be decent enough. Also try Pierse Motors in Tipperary.

Regarding the next Golf, the MkVI is not due for a bit yet but the MkV is getting a small facelift in the mean time. It is getting the same front bumper as the Jetta and a chrome grill similar to the R32. They are also lauching an estate version. Not sure on dates though but it is pretty soon.

bazz26 wrote:
    Newcastle West Motors in Limerick are supposed to be decent enough. Also try Pierse Motors in Tipperary.

Regarding the next Golf, the MkVI is not due for a bit yet but the MkV is getting a small facelift in the mean time. It is getting the same front bumper as the Jetta and a chrome grill similar to the R32. They are also lauching an estate version. Not sure on dates though but it is pretty soon.

Thanks but does anyone know when that facelift is coming out as that would be worth waiting for.Its a nice front

same as the Jetta if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Have bought from M.Moore Portarlington since 98 and always Golf's. He always had one when in Dublin there was 6months waiting list. Last time I went down to him one of his salesmen collected me at the train station and drove me to his car dealership.,suppose wouldn't you if there was a customer coming down with 22k in his arse pocket....

The longest I had to wait for a car from M.Moore was 3weeks. Make sure he has the tank filled to brim when collecting car. I have always sold my car private because always got a better deal with cash than a trade in.

mad m wrote:
    Have bought from M.Moore Portarlington since 98 and always Golf's. He always had one when in Dublin there was 6months waiting list. Last time I went down to him one of his salesmen collected me at the train station and drove me to his car dealership.,suppose wouldn't you if there was a customer coming down with 22k in his arse pocket....

The longest I had to wait for a car from M.Moore was 3weeks. Make sure he has the tank filled to brim when collecting car. I have always sold my car private because always got a better deal with cash than a trade in.

Yeah i got a golf from him before but didnt find him the cheapest, my uncle has bought 4-5 mercs from him but now is a customer of sheehy motors as he had a little fight with the sales guy in micheal moore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    Yeah i got a golf from him before but didnt find him the cheapest, my uncle has bought 4-5 mercs from him but now is a customer of sheehy motors as he had a little fight with the sales guy in micheal moore :D

Why don't you shop around? When you will get the best price depends on lots of factors, and where one person may do well another may not. Take a few saturdays to visit a few dealerships.

Advertisement