Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to buy a 1.4 brand new golf

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

maidhc wrote:
    Why don't you shop around? When you will get the best price depends on lots of factors, and where one person may do well another may not. Take a few saturdays to visit a few dealerships.

I will have to do that but i wanted to get some opinions from the members here that have had some experience with VW dealers and some have got some good deals.Also some people here work in the trade that can give me some good opinions.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Al Hayes, Portumna. I don't have a high opinion of Michael Moores...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    I will have to do that but i wanted to get some opinions from the members here that have had some experience with VW dealers and some have got some good deals.Also some people here work in the trade that can give me some good opinions.Thanks

Fair enough. When we bought a Passat last year Blackwater Motors in Fermoy were several k cheaper than Newmarket Motors or (unsurprisingly) than Turners Cross.

maidhc wrote:
    Fair enough. When we bought a Passat last year Blackwater Motors in Fermoy were several k cheaper than Newmarket Motors or (unsurprisingly) than Turners Cross.

Thanks will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭maidhc

drdre wrote:
    Thanks will check them out.

You really need to call to these places in person. You won't do much over the phone.

• Advertisement

maidhc wrote:
    You really need to call to these places in person. You won't do much over the phone.

Well then close to dublin will be alright.I aint going to cork :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Bluetonic wrote:
    Not sure exactly what your looking for lad?
    What on earth is this supposed to mean? In case you misunderstood my post, I was pointing out that VW have already 'reduced the build quality' of the MK5 Golf compared to the Mk4. And that of the Mk3 compared to the Mk2, if it comes to it. Are you with me now, 'lad'?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cheer me auld flower.

Have you now.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Cheer me auld flower.

Have you now.
    Out of interest, what did you think I meant?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    I was pointing out that VW have already 'reduced the build quality' of the MK5 Golf compared to the Mk4

I might be completely wrong here, but over the last few years I got the impression that the MK5 was miles (or should I say kilometers :D) ahead of the MK4 in every respect, including built quality. In the case of the GTI I'd go as far as to say it's the first good one since the MK2 (didn't you own one of them?)

I also got the impression that the production costs of the MK5 are too high and that the MK6 will be built cheaper. I'm speculating now, but I'll guess the MK6 won't be a good car, where the MK5 clearly is a good car :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If VW are a bit more clever about how they build the Mk6 Golf, it could be easier to produce and less likely to go wrong. as long as they spend all their time on the dash plastics and the rear suspension, then the motoring press won't notice anything's amiss

unkel wrote:
    I might be completely wrong here, but over the last few years I got the impression that the MK5 was miles (or should I say kilometers :D) ahead of the MK4 in every respect, including built quality. In the case of the GTI I'd go as far as to say it's the first good one since the MK2 (didn't you own one of them?)(
    I've only driven the Mk5 briefly, whereas i've driven a fair few Mk4s. I would have said that the Mk5, better car though it surely is, feels a lot less well put-together than the Mk4. The same holds true of the new Passat - I sat in one of those a while back and was quite shocked at how cheap the interior feels compared to its predecessor. That's only my own impression, but I have to say it's quite a marked one.:) You're right, I did have a Mk2 GTI 16v. Great car though it was, I could never really forgive it for not being a Peugeot 205GTI 1.9. I guess build quality was never that high on my wish list..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Zagorkagirl

Drdre,

To answer your original question - you should phone or call into at least a dozen dealers and ask what discount they offer. If they offer less than 10% off the list price you are being ripped off! 10% is the absolute minimum - some dealers will give upto 15%.

Za.

Drdre,

To answer your original question - you should phone or call into at least a dozen dealers and ask what discount they offer. If they offer less than 10% off the list price you are being ripped off! 10% is the absolute minimum - some dealers will give upto 15%.

Za.

Thanks for the info.She says she wont order a new car till 2008 so hope to get a good deal then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Don't forget the after sales aspect when it comes to buying a VW. Best in the country in this regard in Newcastle West Autos. Worst is Frank Hogans (Western are almost as bad). Steer clear of all MSL set ups. Al Hayes, yeah, cheap, but useless for repairs. Newmarket will swing a deal but Blackwater have a better aftersales set up. In Dublin, I'd try Fosters or maybe give Sheehys in Naas a go.

crosstownk wrote:
    Don't forget the after sales aspect when it comes to buying a VW. Best in the country in this regard in Newcastle West Autos. Worst is Frank Hogans (Western are almost as bad). Steer clear of all MSL set ups. Al Hayes, yeah, cheap, but useless for repairs. Newmarket will swing a deal but Blackwater have a better aftersales set up. In Dublin, I'd try Fosters or maybe give Sheehys in Naas a go.

Very good info.thanks.I have heard about msl.they are crap as i have dealt with them before.Also sheehy and foster are supposed to be good.I have had great friendly experience from the service/parts crowd in fosters.they are really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I've had two MK IVs and had a MK V for the last three years. The build quality of the MKV is inferior to MKIV but the handeling is much better.

The independent rear suspension makes the car feel alot more stable when cornering. I will be switching from VW to ford if they degrade the handeling on the MKVI.

I have always called to a number of dealers when upgrading my car. The prices quoted were usually fairly consistant give or take 100 euros. I have always bought the base line spec. There is probably more room for bargaining when getting extras included.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Drdre,

Za.

Holy CR*P! Who the hell are you buying VW's off Zagokagirl?

Not since the heady days of the Mk4 Golf have we seen VW discounts anywhere close to 10% - most dealers don't have 10% margin to play with yet alone 15%.

If you can squeeze 5% out of a dealer in a private sale, you'd be doing a great bit of business.

Advertisement