Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yupiteru

Options
  • 26-05-2007 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi, new to radio scanners, i got a yupiteru mvt 5000 from ebay and all i can seem to pick up on it is local radio stations and not a very good audio quality either, the arial was in bad condition so i picked 1 up from maplins,(nearly 1mtr long when fully extended), does anyone have one of these scanners or can you point me to somebody in the dublin area that could take a look at it to see if its ok, sorry for such a long post, thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You might need a roof aerial and/or patience to pick up more than broadcast radio. For instance the Dublin 3Rock 145MHz repeater is not very active.

Try when pubs are closeing on Sat Night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Where in Dublin are you listening from?.

What are you hoping to listen to?.

Are you familiar with even the basic workings of a scanner, ie location (VHF & UHF being mainly line of sight).

Is your squelch settings too high?.

Is your Yupiteru even programmed?. (Btw, I find those a bitch to programme).

There's alot more to scanning than just switching on the scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Hi,

Not trying to be smart here, but have you got the manual?
    It can be got in pdf format from here:

http://www.rigpix.com/yupiteru/yupiteru_mvt5000_manual.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mac-

hi mairt, living in the blanchardstown area,
    im hoping to listen to the emergency services aswell as others,
    im totally new to scanners but a friend who knows a little bit more than me tried aswell,
    the yupiteru was reset when it was posted to me,
    and judging by the difficulty im having with this scanner im guessing there is a lot more to scanners than than just switching it on, ha ha, cheers

hi gyppo, i have a booklet and cd and tought i was going well but still cant get anything to come thru on it, apart from a couple of radio stations and the tv3 television voices, tried it on am and cant seem to find anything on that either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

AM is 110MHz to 137MHz air traffic
    FM Marine 155 .. 163MHz.. Announcements on C16 and then you go to the channel mentioned for the Weather, Google UK VHF Marine Frequencies / channels for channel to frequencies

Wireless Experimenters:
    SSB & Packet 144MHz to 145MHz. FM 145..146MHz.
    Also just above 50MHz and 70MHz (but rare). CW Beacon at 50.50MHz
    430..440MHz

Various mobile services 163MHz to 175MHz, and 52MHz to 87MHz,
    PMRs 446MHz
    TV sound 470MHz to 860MHz
    Some Radio Mics 175MHz or 864MHz approx.

25MHz to 30MHz
    CB: AM, FM some SSB
    Churches: Mostly FM
    Wireless Experimenters: (28.000 to 29.700) Mostly CW, SSB USB, sometimes AM or FM

49MHz some toy Walkie talkies, baby alarms and older phones (with also 1.6MHz for reverse channel).

The scanner is only FM or AM. So normally you can't hear SSB or CW properly.

Some kinds of services you can't listen to, CB, Church, Wireless Experimenter are all OK. Air is a bit grey, Marine OK to listen to Weather etc, but not private conversations. Services are really not legal to listen to and 100% illegal to report what you hear to anyone.

ok just an update to earlier posts, i have tried a short rubber ariel and entered a frequency and now have crystal clear reception, thanks guys for all your input , much apprieciated

Advertisement