Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wire: Complete Season 3 (5 DVD) [£13.99@HMV.co.uk]

• 26-05-2007 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Link here. Good price, not incl. shipping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

that's just typical that is, a week after i gave up on getting it any cheaper and spent 45e on it in play :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

That is the way it always happens. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ruu wrote:
    Link here. Good price, not incl. shipping.

Best cop show ever made and I think this is the cheapest I've ever seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Excellent, I was bemoaning the lack of DVDs for me to watch. A bargain, thanks Ruu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's gone up to £24.99 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

You can get season one for £18 on the site. Is it really that good?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

silvine wrote:
    You can get season one for £18 on the site. Is it really that good?

I think season one is the best.
    Then 4.
    Then 3.
    Then 2

But you need to watch them in order

before the wire there was 'homicide: life on the street' which is now available at a great price on
    http://www.amazon.com/Homicide-Life-Street-Complete-Megaset/dp/B000H5U5TY

i've been buying the individual series from ebay up until now and spent quite a bit and i'm only on series 5 so this is great value. this is a great series, created by the creator of the wire, but as it was on nbc, there's no cussing but the acting and stories are superb. it also includes the movie that tied up the series.

That's quite a bargain for all those DVDs. I'd be glued to the telly for weeks. I've never seen Homicide or The Wire though. Which is better?

I don't know if I'd spend $100 on a tv show if I had never seen it before...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Homicide was amazing in its day , the first few series were stunning.it lost its way towards the end but 97 hours is some value for money!. It has the same creater as the wire. I havent seen the wire yet been waiting for the boxsets to come down in price;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'The Wire' is better for my money and I've seen all of them both. 'The Wire' works differently in that each season really tells one story, whereas Homicide: LotS is mostly episodic with arcs being more character based.

'Homicide: Life on the Street' is well worth seeking out though - it was a real gritty cop show, with excellent acting and characters. You can sense the sort of bleak realism here that was later employed in 'The Wire', also set in Baltimore.

And if you're a fan of "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", this is where Munch started off before transferring (yep, same character - there's a couple of "Law & Order" crossovers).

Not as good in its final season, it tops off with a TV movie that brought a good end to the show.

I never really go into Law and Order - hard to believe considering the sheer number of spin offs it seems to have. I think I'll opt for The Wire. I've heard great things about it so far and am looking for a replacement for when (gasp) the Sopranos comes to and end.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

i've just finished the first 3 season in one month.

top quality TV

anyone know how to get a hold of the 4th series ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

No release date for the DVD as yet but found the below on TV Shows on DVD. Maybe you have some "cousins" in the US that can send you a tape of it. :p
    One of our readers, Drew Galaska (thanks!), had the sharp eye a few days ago when he spotted this David Simon interview/chat which talks, among other things, about the 4th Season of the show on DVD. Here's what Simon says:

Q: Is HBO scheduled to release Season 4 DVDs before Season 5 airs? Can we get some deleted scenes, humorous outtakes, or maybe some of the production gag reel this time? [mane33]

A: I would like to put our gag reels, previously shown only at the wrap parties, on the final, season five DVD. I don't want to do that kind of thing before the show finishes its story arcs. It feels like it reveals too much of the artifice and in some sense, I think, ruins the sense of verisimilitude that many viewers value. We don't have that many deleted scenes, but perhaps, again, what we have that is worthwhile can find a home on the last DVD set.

I think it is paramount that HBO gets the season four DVDs out before season five. We were already approached about doing the commentaries for season four, but I delayed doing so for a time, fearing that the DVD release would be so much prior to the season five premiere that it wouldn't help to build interest in the coming season. Optimally, the DVDs should come not a year before the ensuing season, but several months and I was concerned on that point. Now, however, with the bootleg DVDs being sold far and wide, I've changed my tune. The quicker, the better, for HBO and for the show itself.

i have to say andre braugher in homicide LotS is one of the best actors in tv cop shows, the acting and characterisation in homicide is better than the wire but the wire is more 'real'. another show worth checking out is 'brotherhood' i think tg4 or channel 6 are showing it now, i got it on dvd last year and it's really good, an irish-american version of the sopranos set in rhode island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just got an email from HMV today. They cancelled my order as the 13.99 price was an error and it should have cost 24.99. typical, too good to be true

Advertisement