Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 DataModem IP trace

• 26-05-2007 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Apparently the 3 datamodem has a static IP. (How am I supposed to cheat online voting systems now, huh?!) So I checked mine out and it traces to Reading, England! Is it just mine or does everyone else's trace to England too?

You can check your IP address by surfing to

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/ and then inputting the given IP in the "Whois Domainname or Ip Address " box down the bottom of the page and clicking "Check IP Address". (If anyone has a better way of looking this up, please post it!) Alternatively, just surf to one of those online mapping systems like http://www.frappr.com/ and see where they suggest you're from after the map loads.

Is it the case that not only do the people in the disastrous Indian call centre not know where we are, but now the modem itself is moving us to England? :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I use this one http://www.ip-adress.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Three has operations in Reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

Obviously that's where their proxy server(s) is/are located. Actually I can see this being a problem on message boards with people being accused of being 15 different posters! There are possibly thousands or tens of thousands of people using 3 for internet access all showing the same IP address! When I google my own IP address I get loads of results from all sorts of places and I only got it last week! Even on speedtest.net I can view results from other people who tested from the same IP address over the last few days at times I wasn't even online!

We're obviously all inside some sort of WAN and only accessing the internet through a limited number of proxy servers. I'm not really ecstatic about this but what can I do as it's my only way of getting broadband at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

this is a normal setup for many companies and colleges
    all requests are from the proxy address
    it shouldn't cause any problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭ablelocks

noticed this on speedtest alright. It may even have advantages when UK sites confine downloads/viewing to UK customers only - am thinking of bbc.co.uk if/when they release their TV archives.

however, does it have any privacy/security implications, particularly for online banking/shopping?

Oh yeah, I know that about people in the same companies/colleges having the same IP, Micro, but I have seen problems related to exactly that online before!

Ablelocks, I always assumed it was safe because it's just your computer that downloads the cookies from the site you're banking with/shopping on but maybe someone else could confirm/clarify that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

yes, nothing should be stored on the proxy - all cookies will be stored locally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭digiman

What would happen if you were playing poker online?
    Would this mean that numerous people could be playing from the same IP address?
    Or did I pick this up wrong?

Yeah, that makes sense, micro.

There easily could be several people playing from the same IP, digiman, but just like banking/shopping I assume the poker site sticks a cookie on your computer to distinguish you from someone else with the same IP. It'd be a pretty lousy site if it didn't. Then again I've never played online poker and some of those sites have viruses so I ain't going to check one out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Kevso

Mine traces to Engerland too, whats the story with that and what are the draw back of having it this way

Any help appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 telecomsman

Im not really sure what the issue is here??

3 Ireland are backhauling their traffic through their Reading data centre, which isnt that strange really if the bulk of their data infrastructure is there.

There shouldnt be any issues with using 1 external IP for multiple customers (to a certain extent) as I presume they are using a variety of Port Address Translation.

This isnt something Id be worried about.

3 Ireland are backhauling their traffic through their Reading data centre, which isnt that strange really if the bulk of their data infrastructure is there.

There shouldnt be any issues with using 1 external IP for multiple customers (to a certain extent) as I presume they are using a variety of Port Address Translation.

This isnt something Id be worried about.

The deal is that I don't want to be thought of as being English or even lumped in with them! No more than I'd like it in a pub. I'm sure the English would have similar concerns if their 3 IP traced to France, for example! As it is, 3's Indian call centre sometimes think we live in the UK here or can't figure our addresses so this is yet another annoyance. Can't someone give 3 a short history lesson of the whole Ireland/England thing?! 3 should build their own infrastructure here, and employ people here to look after it, and have Ireland's traffic route through that. I just did a check and my vodafone IP while surfing traces to Ireland! Guess who I, and I'd bet most people in Ireland, would pick if they both had the same broadband deal on offer???

The second thing is I don't want to be confused with other people on the internet. It's one thing sharing your IP with your company/college but when you're sharing it with potentially anyone on these two islands that's probably about 65 million other people that can give you a bad name on the 'net! I know the same applies to the other mobile operators (although at least with voda it's only other Irish people you're sharing your IP with) so the only way around this is to get a static IP'd landline connection. Unfortunately Eircom (or the government!) couldn't be arsed spending the money to give me one!

Or, most people might not really give a crap once it works.

1. Most Irish people don't want to be thought of as being English for historical reasons. (Dude, for the craic check out this link I googled under the "The English on Ireland" section! "The average Englishman imagines the average Irish man to be little more than a savage")

2. Most people would prefer not to get dodgy links showing up when people google their IP address and have people think it was them that was said dodgy person!

Thankfully, most people have evolved and that chip on their shoulders disappeared with tails.

As for anyone googling their IP (how would that throw up dodgy links?): how would it be different that someone using any shared IP (i.e. workplaces, schools, universities etc)?

BuffyBot wrote:
    Thankfully, most people have evolved and that chip on their shoulders disappeared with tails.

I've reported your flame-baiting posts, buffybot. One was bad enough but when you keep it up it's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Be nice to each other guys.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't really see what the problem is. I would like it if three built the infrastructure here and routed all there Irish traffic through that but not because I will appear Irish on the internet but because it will create more jobs here and bring some investment here as well.
    At the end of the day three are bringing some competition to the market which should make the other operators sit up and take notice and offer some decent services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I don't really see what the problem is. I would like it if three built the infrastructure here and routed all there Irish traffic through that but not because I will appear Irish on the internet but because it will create more jobs here and bring some investment here as well.
    At the end of the day three are bringing some competition to the market which should make the other operators sit up and take notice and offer some decent services.

I agree, I don't see how this could be a problem. As long as I can get broadband at home I don't care who I appear as on the web Irish, English or any other nationality.

• Advertisement

Pythia wrote:
    Be nice to each other guys.

What was that quote about the best way to keep guys happy in an office is to put a pretty girl in the room? I tried to google it but couldn't find it. Anyone?

Anyway, I don't like having an English IP when I'm online. Some people don't care and that's ok with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Rockson wrote:
    Apparently the 3 datamodem has a static IP.

how wonderful, I had to pay eircom €50 for one of those. but like someguy said it could be shared with thousands of people.

Anyway those IP locator things are notoriously unreliable. for example google insists that I am German, and keeps sending me to google.de in Deutch. of course I can change that, but if i clear my cookies or anything i'm back to google auf deutch

sometimes you can actually correct these IP location services, and tell them you are actually in ireland. but perhaps the IP is just a proxy based in england

Dankoozy wrote:
    how wonderful, I had to pay eircom €50 for one of those. but like someguy said it could be shared with thousands of people.

Anyway those IP locator things are notoriously unreliable. for example google insists that I am German, and keeps sending me to google.de in Deutch. of course I can change that, but if i clear my cookies or anything i'm back to google auf deutch

sometimes you can actually correct these IP location services, and tell them you are actually in ireland. but perhaps the IP is just a proxy based in england

Well, your Eircom/BT/Whoever static IP would almost certainly be yours and yours alone. That's the big, big difference! You're not going to get accused of being/doing/writing something you didn't!

And re. Ip locater thingies: only the crappy second-hand ones like frappr maps let you tell them where you're from. The proper whois look-ups will give you the correct server info always. They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

so what is your IP address anyway? is the IP in reading a proxy or is it the same IP as you are given in ipconfig/ifconfig?

btw I went to that site. lol @ what it says for my OS

Advertisement