Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masking tape on pvc

Options
  • 26-05-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just painted the house recently. I used masking tape around the windows to stop the paint going on to the pvc.

Unfortunatly, now that I am peeling off the tape, its leaving a sticky messy residue on the pvc that looks horrible.

Is there any trick to get the residue off?

Please help.....the missus is like a dog!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

White spirits are your friend. I got a bottle of stuff called, I think, Solvall, which does pretty much the same thing. This may not be widely available though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Masking tape has a time limit on how long you can leave it on. Most of the cream coloured paper stuff we get here is only recommended for use over 5-7 days (less if it is to be exposed to direct sunlight). The blue masking tape (the proper stuff) can be left on for a month or so.

Anyways to get the residue off can be a right pain in the arse. Remove as much of the tape itself as you can. Try dampening it with a cloth first and leave for 5 minutes.
    When you're down to the adhesive then it's a matter of using a label removing solution or (what I use) WD40. Rub it onto the adhesive, allow to penetrate and then wipe clean with a rag soaked in more WD40. If for some reason WD40 isn't cutting it, then methylated spirits will also do the job.
    Finally rinse off with detergent.

A tip for any one else out there painting round PVC windows: if they're new then leave the protective film on until the painting's finished. If it's already been removed then instead of taping it, simply cut your line of paint to the PVC and allow to dry, then remove any overrun with the edge of a stanley blade....paint won't stick to PVC.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭outsidethe65

Cheers lads.

I'll give it a shot.

Outsidethe65

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Wertz, hate to contradict you but we did leave on protective covering and yes paint sticks to PVC big time. Try getting it off black pvc windows!!!!!! We are still at it months later!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Try Mr Sheen or another furniture polish, spray it on, leave for a few minutes, rub off.

• Advertisement

Wertz, hate to contradict you but we did leave on protective covering and yes paint sticks to PVC big time. Try getting it off black pvc windows!!!!!! We are still at it months later!!!!!!!!

What sort of paint?
    Why didn't the plastic film act as a mask?
    You say black PVC...with a satin finish or something? Or that woodgrain effect?
    I know for a fact any water based paint will come off gloss PVC window frames. The trick is to get at it while the emulsion still hasn't hard dried (about 2-3 weeks). Use one of those little sponges with the green scourer on one side and some hot soapy water.
    Once emulsion hard dries it's a lot tougher to get off any surface but there are products for removing it without too much bother.

Of course the best suggestion of the lot is avoiding getting paint on there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Wertz, we emulsion round the windows and waterbased gloss on bottom of frame where we used the gloss on windowcills. They are wood grain effect windows. Paint has dried into the little woodgrain grooves...what a pain to remove...believe you me! Yes we should have been more careful but thought that the film would prevent paint splashes etc!

Sounds like what you need is Goof-Off. Can be hard to get here but it's great stuff for taking off dired-in emulsion without damaging other surfacants.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I thought the idea with masking tape was to remove it within a couple of hours of painting??..

curious

Preferably that is the case. But practically? Some coatings need multiple layers, and may take a long time to dry/cure so why go to the bother of taping/lifting/re-taping? Hence why tape has a usable life...or rather the adhesive does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

A quick tip for removing residue, emulsion and the like. Get a tin of brasso and dab a little bit on with a cloth. It will remove it instantly.

Advertisement