Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Bolivia / Wales vs New Zealand

• 26-05-2007 3:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Wales currently a goal down to a New zealand side that in their past three games had conceded more than ten without scoring.

9pm kick off for Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

bellamy equaliser 17'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

2-1 new zealand .... no way we can expect help from wales against the czechs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Finished 2-2.

Ireland starting XI: Nicky Colgan (Barnsley); Joseph O'Cearuill (Arsenal), Alan Bennett (Reading), Peter Murphy (Carlisle United), Stephen Kelly (Birmingham City); Joe Gamble (Cork City), Kevin Kilbane (c) (Wigan), Darren Potter (Wolves), Alan O'Brien (Newcastle United); Anthony Stokes (Sunderland), Shane Long (Reading).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Team vs Bolivia announced:
    Colgan
    Murphy--O'Cearuill--Bennett--Kelly
    Gamble---Kilbane--Potter---O'Brien
    Stokes----Long

Poor team but happy with it considering.

Great to see Gamble starting for Ireland.

Last eL player to start for Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Crowe?

Eirebhoy - will the fullbacks not play on the opposite sides? is Murphy not Left Back?

This not on rte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Glen Crowe vs greece.

Would have preferred to see him in the middle with Potter.

Is Stokes any good?

I forgot that Glen Crowe had started. So Gamble is only the second eL start in 21 years.

It's only on Sky Sports 1.

I wonder what Sky's pronounciation of O'Cearuil will be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

plazzTT wrote:
    I forgot that Glen Crowe had started. So Gamble is only the second eL start in 21 years.

It's only on Sky Sports 1.

I wonder what Sky's pronounciation of O'Cearuil will be?

They'll just call him O'Carroll I'd say.

Should be good to see Stokes and Long up front.

O'Brien is speedy too but he's a bit like Forrest Gump and needs to learn to use his speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

plazzTT wrote:
    Last eL player to start for Ireland?
    hopefully ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Is it certain that Gamble is on the right and Potter is in the centre ? , would've thought it'd make more sense having it the other way .

I would have preferred to see Kilbane given a rest and have Gamble and Potter play alongside each other in the centre .

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I'd say that's how they'll line out, Potter played in the centre on Wednesday and when Gamble came on he played on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I'd say that's how they'll line out, Potter played in the centre on Wednesday and when Gamble came on he played on the right.

Ah right , didn't see Wednesdays game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

1-1 after 14 mins, some VERY ropey defending by our lads there

Shane Long scored our first after about 11 minutes I'd say. Stokes and Long both should have scored about a minute before it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Shambles of a goal by Bolivia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I was really impressed by Stokes. I can't believe he's only 18.

As a Cork City fan you will forgive me if I focussed on the players I knew.

Joe Gamble - Quiet game, struggled with the pace of the game, would have preferred to see him in the middle. Wasted on the right.
    Alan Bennett - Worried about him and the step up in class, but over the two games he looks like he can make the grade and is an option for centre half
    Shane Long - Good goal, putting pressure on Robbie Keane hopefully
    kevin Doyle - Plays with the confidence of an established star

Think its time to say goodbye to some of the players in the comfort zone in the main squad at the moment and let some of the hungry players on this trip have a go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

I watched this game late last night. We had 1 guy on the right wing, a young lad who was full of tricks. He went past a couple of people and got a shot in on goal from closr range once but it was saved. Any1 know who he was? cos he was very promising looking for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Shane Long - Good goal, putting pressure on Robbie Keane hopefully
    kevin Doyle - Plays with the confidence of an established star

Agreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I was at the game yesterday. As has been mentioned the defending was diabolical for large parts of the game.

Doyle continues to show that he is going to be a very important player for the team. Stokes has great potential. It was pretty hot there so it looked like some of the players were pretty knackered in the 2nd half.

• Advertisement

dardoz wrote:
    I watched this game late last night. We had 1 guy on the right wing, a young lad who was full of tricks. He went past a couple of people and got a shot in on goal from closr range once but it was saved. Any1 know who he was? cos he was very promising looking for the future.
    Stokes I presume. The youngest player in the squad. He'd probably be better off if he was as technically gifted as Filippo Inzaghi though. What I mean by that is because he has the skill Keane and Staunton (and Wenger) tend to play him in a withdrawn role. At Falkirk he played as an out and out striker and he was fantastic, very disciplined too. Playing off the striker he has as much discipline as Robbie Keane. He should be played as the main man up front and he'll score goals. He's excellent at beating the offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

dardoz description fits a run made by Darryl Murphy aswell. (who looked very good also)

Yeah maybe, I can hardly remember the match. Gamble and Stokes were the 2 players who played on the right though.

Advertisement