Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beating the delay

Options
  • 26-05-2007 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever gone to an event and used Betfair mobile to clean up? I'd imagine in stuff like cricket, snooker and tennis it'd be possible to make a fortune by just laying the second a wicket falls and then backing when the TV dependent gamblers catch up. Then just green it up and repeat ad-infinitum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You'd need an ultra fast mobile connection to do any real damage but there are plenty of people who do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

After a long time rattling my brains, i found the fastest possible feed, I also did a little bit of homework , and have it narrowed to about 1 1/2 seconds off real-time.

test it out. :

turn on the radio and turn down the volume on your tv

saturday football games on setanta or rte ,

radio coverage is on MW (medium wave).
    Scottish football being the most advantagious !!

you may not beat betfair, but you might beat the bookie's before they change their odds!!
    setanta is miles behind,... they might as well post you out a dvd of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

zuutroy wrote:
    Has anyone ever gone to an event and used Betfair mobile to clean up? I'd imagine in stuff like cricket, snooker and tennis it'd be possible to make a fortune by just laying the second a wicket falls and then backing when the TV dependent gamblers catch up. Then just green it up and repeat ad-infinitum!

Cricket is a dangerous one here... There are situations where losing a wicket will be regarded by the market as a positive thing. e.g, England chasing a total in a 1dayer, behind the required runrate but with plenty of wickets in hand, Bell loses his wicket and Pieterson is next man in... if you do your lay and back in this situation you will likely be red, not green.

So as well as the mobile technology you need to be aware of how the 'new' market will look after the wicket falls.

AJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

So as well as the mobile technology you need to be aware of how the 'new' market will look after the wicket falls.

AJs.

OK, was just using cricket as an example. That you know whats gonna happen to the market is understood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It constantly done in tennis and snooker. Was a thread about it here for the UK master i think it was, so lad in the audience cleaning up. If i had the money a trip too wimbledon for the tennis would b well worth it.

• Advertisement

It constantly done in tennis and snooker. Was a thread about it here for the UK master i think it was, so lad in the audience cleaning up. If i had the money a trip too wimbledon for the tennis would b well worth it.

I was going to go to the Crucible next year anyway. Maybe this will pay for my trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Laptops have been banned in the tennis anyway, not sure about the snooker.

phones are banned at the snooker ,.... the rumour was that it was an independant reporter in the press box, who would naturally have permission to use his lap-top.

the bugger has about 170 euro of mine :( ..... and i want it back !!!!

im serious about the radio,..... 3 fiull seconds quicker than the tv feed.
    check it out :)........ its already made me a massive pile of cash.

the radio is only slightly slower than a phone conversation .
    so you might as well be getting a full update from a friend at the event, who feeds you thru his phone !! instant.

im surprised so few people have copped it to be honest.

i see people scrambling to change to analogue tv, whilst on betfair,.... silly - turn on the radio commentry. (not online radio).

good oppurtunity will be the play-off " Derby and WestBrom" ....
    go to bbc5 live on MW .

Good info Bernard! Will give it a try. The phone ban mustn't be too well policed as I heard about 20 phones goin off during this years even.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

im serious about the radio,..... 3 fiull seconds quicker than the tv feed.
    check it out ........ its already made me a massive pile of cash.

the radio is only slightly slower than a phone conversation .
    so you might as well be getting a full update from a friend at the event, who feeds you thru his phone !! instant.

im surprised so few people have copped it to be honest.

i see people scrambling to change to analogue tv, whilst on betfair,.... silly - turn on the radio commentry. (not online radio).

good oppurtunity will be the play-off " Derby and WestBrom" ....
    go to bbc5 live on MW .

Interesting idea. I presume you use a bot with one click betting to fire in the bet as soon as the commentator says "Goal"?

What happens if it is offside?

• Advertisement

wb wrote:

What happens if it is offside?

LOL!....There really is no risk free betting is there! Though presumably in that situation if you lay the team who 'conceded', you'll be able to back them at much the same price once the market settles after the offside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Rugby is another good sport, since odds fluctuate alot and there is no suspension.

Another question on the footie: How do you beat betfair to the 'suspended' market. If you're 3 seconds ahead of TV and it takes 5 seconds to place a bet then by the time your bet hits the market it'll be suspended no?

Rugby is another good sport, since odds fluctuate alot and there is no suspension.

So the market does not suspend after a score?

What other sports offer this? I know darts does, but probably would not get radio coverage. How about GAA? Is the market suspended after each point?

I think it only really happens in soccer because the complexion of the markets change so much given how few scores there are in a game.

What would be the best way to take advantage of the radio advantage? Laying the conceding team, correct score, over/under? Just a matter of which market reacts most to a goal I suppose....and I dont know the answer!

I can't see how it is done on football with the delay though.

wb wrote:
    I can't see how it is done on football with the delay though.

Maybe the market is only suspended to people who haven't clicked the 'bet' button if you get me...Bets that have been submitted already might slip in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Interesting thread...

would this work for betting on next scorer?

Just logged into my PP account ( as there is no live game I cant be sure ) but it seems that you could select a player or team as next scorer just as you here and place a bet in about 3 secs....

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

zuutroy wrote:
    What would be the best way to take advantage of the radio advantage? Laying the conceding team, correct score, over/under? Just a matter of which market reacts most to a goal I suppose....and I dont know the answer!

Next Goal would be the best bet in that situation. on BF.
    Also on motorsport doesn't suspend the market.

• Advertisement

macshadow wrote:
    Next Goal would be the best bet in that situation.

Yeah, I guess as an outright bet thats the obvious choice now that I think of it. The liquidity is usually quite low on that market, but I guess any game on 5-Live is going to have quite good liquidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

betfair takes 5 seconds for bet to be placed after submitted doesn't it?

chump wrote:
    betfair takes 5 seconds for bet to be placed after submitted doesn't it?

Yes but I'm not sure if it's possible that it can be matched somehow anyway. I envisage a load of us with the wireless next to the computer tomorrow afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Well what i mean is if the goal is disallowed you can trade your position for little or no loss.
    Maybe with one click and live radio feed?
    you could try motorsport f1 with cars retiring and bad pit stops ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

GAA doesn't suspend on points OR goals. I know this because I backed Armagh seconds before Donegal got their farcical goal to sneak it. :mad:

lol,.... i dont mean blatent thieving of next scorer,......

you might get paid out 2 oe 3 times (on the bookmakers)
    , before you are banned/restricted. bookies are no fools.
    with betfair,... you'll never beat them using the radio,... not only have you to beat the betfair employee who hits the "SUSPENDED" button,.....but you got to beat the 10,000 guys trying to be fastest finger first !!!!

you can only hit the bookmakers.

i've done my homework , and am easyily 6 - 8000 units up.

im not saying how i bet here,..... but there are only a few main markets that i use, with a 25% chance of getting my bet down before the bookie suspends.

generally an instant profit of 50 euro on a 200euro bet.

send me a PM if you are interested in more info , bookmakers always read the forums to find out info,... no doubt some may find this thread of interest.

what you need is markets that dont have the time recorded,.....
    if you put a bet on chelsea to score first , and the slip says the bet placed at 4.11 pm ,... and they see chelsea have just scored @ exactly 4.11pm , eyebrows shall be raised, and placed bets monitored, particularly if the customer is a continual winner.

generally active accounts are reviewed every day or every 2nd day by the bookie, they know what they are looking for,.... so i have to vary my bets, small wagers on various other sports , so it dosent look like im making my money on a small number of markets.

macshadow wrote:
    Well what i mean is if the goal is disallowed you can trade your position for little or no loss.
    Maybe with one click and live radio feed?
    you could try motorsport f1 with cars retiring and bad pit stops ect?

no need to use radio with the motor sport,...... the official fia site has info provided on their website before the tv shows it.

register, and use the live timing facility. ever so slighly quicker feed than the tv,...... but absolutely invaluable service for the "in-running" qualifying market on betfair.

find out for yourself who is setting the quickest section times and lap times, before the commentator decides to tell you !!! I layed Hamilton during the final qualifying yesterday,.... cause i knew he lost half a second in the second sector, whilst alonso was setting the fastest first sector. At that stage Hamilton was down around 1.22 for pole .

all those other punters are waiting for brundle or kennedy to telll them who is setting the fastest sectors,....... I often know who is on their flying lap by looking at the first and second sectorson the fia timing facility.,.....and how well they are comparing , before the commentators let us know during the 3rd sector !!

a useful tool also for betfair - "fastest lap" of the race market.

another useful thing is to get urself "firefox" ,..... and perform these tricks to speed up ur execution of bets

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/speed-up-firefox-web-browser.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

Difference between the coverage on TG4 and Eurosport for the tennis.

Advertisement