Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beating the delay

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Yeah I noticed Eurosport were slightly behind BBC on the tennis today alright. Miniscule difference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

3 second difference actually. 5 second delay on the betting on Betfair but if you were good enough you could have made some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Bateman wrote:
    Yeah I noticed Eurosport were slightly behind BBC on the tennis today alright. Miniscule difference though.
    Even bigger when the analogue v digital difference come in

Whatever you do don't rely on Setanta for an up to date clock. I was trading on UEFA cup football last year (think it ws in Biucharest) and betfair suspended the market before the guy crossed it for someone to heaad in. Couldn't believe how far behind it was

Cable - digital difference can be usefu alright. The whole theme of this thread doesn't appeal to me at all to be honest, clocks or no clocks. If people make big money from it then more power to them. It's not really gambling though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Bateman wrote:
    It's not really gambling though.

Haha...thats the point...! The further from gambling you are..the more you're onto a good thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

zuutroy wrote:
    Haha...thats the point...! The further from gambling you are..the more you're onto a good thing!

Hit the nail on the head there.

I quite enjoy trading, but one must detach themselves from the punter point of view.

I've wrote an article on trading:

http://www.letsbet.ie/articles/betting_guides/introduction_to_trading

That's the problem with a lot of punters though... they won't think outside the box.

wb; I'm familiar with trading/greening out (the under/over 1.5 market in the u21 championships is handy and I expect it will continue as so), but the theme of this thread is theft from the bookmakers, and/or other betfair users by beating the clock to back an event that has already happened. This, and trading, are two totally different activities. Now I've no moral objection to it, as I said more power to those who partake in it, but using large amounts of money in a split-second game isn't for me. Carry on though, it's an interesting theme. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

nice article ,......... enjoyed that.

yeah,.every night before i go to bed,........ i throw my betfair balance down on asking crazy prices that nobody in thier right mind should offer,.....

some days i find they are accepted in full or in part,...where i quickly lay off for free profit.

I like free bets,......... i like winning but i cant stand losing,...so i gamble with the least calculated risk available,..........trading.
    its easy as a passtime,...... and a little earner on the side.

my interest in sport has evolved so far since i got into this trading lark.

QUOTE BATEMAN: "but the theme of this thread is theft from the bookmakers, and/or other betfair users by beating the clock to back an event that has already happened."

firstly,... you arent "beating the clock" ,.. thats impossible,
    you can only beat the timing of others, who are purposely and soley there to take the money from your acount and put it in theirs !! second theft is unlawful,.which this most certainly ISNT !!!

there's nothing illeagal about this form of betting,
    its not even suspect for me, i mean theres no fixing or anything like it.
    the traders who win most are the traders with the fastest info or the quickest info available.
    thers a massive competitive race going on,... and that is to be the FIRST to take the BEST price available.

of course the biggest traders of all are actually the BOOKMAKERS themselves.

as ithink i said earlier , that the blatent theft doing the "NEXT TEAM TO SCORE" market is wrong,... and you wont get away with it very often , and if you do suceed you will be issued with a massive restriction that will prevent you ever placing a bet above 5 euro ,..ever again !!!!

but to go to the antepost football markets (which have no delay whilst betting),..... lumping your money on a good price as you get the info first is totally "ok" in my eyes.
    you dont need to watch for more than 5 seconds further to see the flurry of people who are also both backing AND laying to gain advantagoeus positions!!!

I wish I had the bottle to risk outright bets from the start of football games etc.,..... but in-running trading is so much more fruitful with absolute minimal risk.
    get into it ,..... rewards a-plenty !

Bateman - What's so good about the 1.5 goals market in the U21s?

• Advertisement

10/06/07 Grp A Netherlands 1 - 0 Israel
    10/06/07 Grp A Portugal 0 - 0 Belgium
    11/06/07 Grp B Czech Republic 0 - 0 England
    11/06/07 Grp B Serbia 1 - 0 Italy

Trading under 1.5 goals last season was one of the few ways I made consistent profit on football and I know a couple of others who did as well. Who knows, the thing could explode into life any day now but I doubt it.

Maybe it's a bit far-fetched, but with a lot of top-class club managers being tagged as negative (Mourinho, Benitez, Capello spring to mind, I'm sure there are others), I think these attitudes spread. And if you tell U21s to play defensive and sit patiently, they're more likely to do it than top-class pros. All of which brings me back to it being far-fetched, and the possibility that the goals might start coming any day now.

So you back under 1.5 before the start of the game and then lay as the game goes on? Or do you just leave it completely?

Or do you just leave it completely?

That depends on loads of factors. :)

Bad night tonight for it.

Did anybody cop how much time TG4 had over Setanta sports 1 the other night during the Sunderland game ????

Even the Betfair staff were miles behind, the "Suspend button staff clicker" was 8 seconds off the pace.

Theres going to be a lot of casualties for the english punters if it happens again.
    That whole wave of punters eeking to trade, getting their feed on digital.

here we go guys,.......
    time to tuen over the English bookies !!!

expect a healthy week's wages in the next 90 miutes :)

Galway vs. sunderland TG4

8 seconds makes it impossible though in fairness.

Advertisement