Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

digital milage correction !

Options
  • 26-05-2007 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

they are simply clocking cars.
    they advertise openly in the buy and sell and probably other places too .

why are these guys allowed to get away with this ?

ok i know that the offence is selling a clocked car but surely something should be done.

people obvioulsy get it done to up the re sale value
    why dont the gaurds set up a sting operation ?
    catch a few owners selling their car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

green123 wrote:
    i know that the offence is selling a clocked car but surely something should be done
    AFAIK it's not illegal to sell a 'clocked' vehicle. It's only illegal to sell a 'clocked' vehicle without informing the potential buyer that it has been 'clocked'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

AFAIK it's not illegal to sell a 'clocked' vehicle. It's only illegal to sell a 'clocked' vehicle without informing the potential buyer that it has been 'clocked'.

So its possible to get it done, what happens if the buyer doesnt ask if the milage is tampered with.That means people can get away with selling a car which is clocked:confused: , So why was it last year that dealers got fined for this

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's possible to get crashed cars repaired as well, and you could sell it on without informing the next owner. it's the same thing.

If you sell a clocked car to a garage can they check it up on there database or something.the question is can a clocked car be identified and how.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

drdre wrote:
    If you sell a clocked car to a garage can they check it up on there database or something.the question is can a clocked car be identified and how.
    If the car doesn't have a full verifiable, service history then you have to assume that it may be clocked. Beyond that, some cars hold a mileage reading in other locations, ie the ECU or the keys. At the end of the day though, i'd never recommend buying a car that hadn't been regularly serviced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

BMW's hold the mileage on the keys AFAIK, but it is possible to change the key too. I assume any imported BMWs for sale are clocked.

Anan1 wrote:
    If the car doesn't have a full verifiable, service history then you have to assume that it may be clocked. Beyond that, some cars hold a mileage reading in other locations, ie the ECU or the keys. At the end of the day though, i'd never recommend buying a car that hadn't been regularly serviced.

Thanks anan1 but i was just asking in general, not about the car i bought, which i checked out fully and was fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

no, checkservice history to see if all the dates add up.if one year the guy was getting the car serviced every 10000 miles and the dates say that he was getting it serviced twice a year then he does 20000 a year. if the following year he only does 7000 you should start asking questions.

also if the pedals seats and steering wheel look worn and the car only has 50k on the clock alarm bells should be ringing.

also the milage is recorded on the nct so check milage on the nct cert against the same time on the service history.

no service history? walk away

that milage correction service is criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

well it should be but im not sure if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

'let the buyer beware'

the onus is on the buyer to ensure he hasnt been conned.

there will always be people taking avantage of unsuspecting people. selling over clocked cars is no different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No necessarily, say your dash gets damaged and you have to buy new clocks. Would you rather have a car with 0 miles on the clock or the correct milage.

Just because something can be used for criminal means doesn't mean it's criminal.

Cars where cloked before the milage correction services where offered and they will be clocked if it's banned. Hell you can just disconnect your speedo and then the milage disappers.

As said before, Caveat Emptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Del2005 wrote:
    No necessarily, say your dash gets damaged and you have to buy new clocks. Would you rather have a car with 0 miles on the clock or the correct milage.

Just because something can be used for criminal means doesn't mean it's criminal.

Cars where cloked before the milage correction services where offered and they will be clocked if it's banned. Hell you can just disconnect your speedo and then the milage disappers.

As said before, Caveat Emptor.

Yes, cars were clocked before these "services" were advertised, but by them being so readily available I have little doubt that more cars than before are being clocked.

I would say that the average motorist thinking about 'clocking' their car would not attempt to do so if they didn't have the option of getting one of these guys to do it for them.

The Buy & Sell in particular should not allow such advertising in their paper!
    On the one hand they are advising people to be cautious when purchasing a car, and on the other hand they are supporting the clocking of cars.

It is very rare that clocks get "damaged" in a car and need to be reset, or replaced. If such "damage" does occur, let the motorist go to a main dealer or specilaist garage to have it fixed.

Clocking adverts should not be allowed!

Silvera
    Ex-Panel Beater

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just on that item of clocks getting damaged. It is a regular enough occurance for the pixels to die in instrument clusters. In fact there was a guy on here looking for help about 2 weeks ago. I know that certain BMWs suffer from dead pixels in the mileage reading too.
    If the cluster (clocks) is changed they haver to be coded to suit the car. If the cluster has come from a car with more mileage than the car being repared it assumes the greater mileage. In this case it would be advisable to get the services of these guys in this instance.
    OK them openly advertising can, in theory, urge others to get their car clocked. That they may not have done so had it not been so easy is up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was at a leading garage yesterday looking at a 05 mazda 6 first reg jan 05. The salesman said it only had 15000 miles on the clock on a closer inspection the controls for the radio on the steering were faded and also the silver on top of the gear lever was faded, the brake and clutch pedals seemed to be changed as they were a lot newer looking in comparision to the accelator pedal. The outside of the car had a lot of scratches for 15000 miles. The car is 2.5 years old that = 6000 miles a year who would buy a new car worth €30000 to drive 6000 miles a year. My point is that the garage surley knew this when the car was traded in or did the mileage dissappear after the car being traded in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Sam Kade wrote:
    I was at a leading garage yesterday looking at a 05 mazda 6 first reg jan 05. The salesman said it only had 15000 miles on the clock on a closer inspection the controls for the radio on the steering were faded and also the silver on top of the gear lever was faded, the brake and clutch pedals seemed to be changed as they were a lot newer looking in comparision to the accelator pedal. The outside of the car had a lot of scratches for 15000 miles. The car is 2.5 years old that = 6000 miles a year who would buy a new car worth €30000 to drive 6000 miles a year. My point is that the garage surley knew this when the car was traded in or did the mileage dissappear after the car being traded in.

My mother bought a mazda 6 in Jan 2005, the thing doesn't even have 20,000 miles yet so there are some genuine low mileage cars out there. But I'd be quite suspicious of the faded wheel and gear knob at 15,000 miles because her car is like new inside. The scratches wouldn't bother me as there are many 2 week old cars out there with a few scrapes.

Didn't Ireland switch from miles to km at the end of 2004 or early 2005?

I know someone who bought a new car in Jan/Feb 2005 and assumed they'd get a speedometer with kilometres but it came with miles, long story short the garage replaced the clock a few months later with a mileage count of zero. I can only assume this was common enough at the time, which may explain why some second hand 2005 cars had pretty low mileage at the time.

Advertisement