Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ran outta space...but not memory...

Options
  • 26-05-2007 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have totally ran out of space at the back of my computer for those PCI things or whatever they are called. I have a Dell Dimension 4600. There were 4 slots. I have currently:[
    1. Graphics Card
    2. TV Card
    3. Modem
    4. Firewire
    I am thinking of getting a new graphics card - XFX GeForce 8800GTS, but I dont have the space...I will be getting rid of the current graphics card but would like to keep my modem. Is there any device I can get to fix the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

You'll need a pci-express motherboard so that card is not compatibile with your setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭opinionated

Dingatron wrote:
    You'll need a pci-express motherboard so that card is not compatibile with your setup.
    Sorry, am a bit of a novice so what sort of cards can I get?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Bazsutto

you could look for a usb modem. This would free up a pci slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Sorry, am a bit of a novice so what sort of cards can I get?

A quick look at the dell 4600 specs tells me you have an AGP slot so anything from here http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10413 should do ya but double check before you buy. I wouldn't spend too much on a card to be honest though as your specs are low enough so you may not get the full use out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Given that you have high budget for a state of the art graphics card , I would suggest that you also look at upgrading your entire computer , its showing its age a bit , and new machines can be had quite cheaply these days.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ci.asp?sku=10137

• Advertisement

Well, I have done some upgrading. I added firewire ports, tv card, external 5.1 surrond card, brought up to 1gb ram...would that help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

firewire ports, tv card, external 5.1 surrond card, brought up to 1gb ram...

The only one of those that actually improves performance is the memory ,
    Its the motherboard thats letting you down , probably the biggest single performance improver these days is getting a new graphics card , and most of the best are now PCI-e ( PCI express ) , so you wont be able to kit yourself out with a decent GPU until you switch the motherboard.
    A new motherboard means a new CPU and memory as well , one of the upgrade packs from Komplett may suit you.

Dont go running out to buy a motherboard /kit for a Dell though , at least not until you determine that it is a standard ATX motherboard , some dells dont have standard motherboards.

I am upgrading as well, using an upgrade kit from Komplett, motherboard, cpu & ram plus a sata hard disk.

The kit arrived, then found that the PSU was unable to run it as it was too old :( the newer motherboards ( & hard disk) require the extra power connectors that dont exist on older PSU's :mad:

I am now waiting for delivery of replacement PSU & pci-e card, wtf in for a penny in for a pound!

The only thing not changing is the box!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If you dont want to proceed with the motherboard upgrade then this is about the best you can get for the Dimension 4300

An AGP ATI X1950 Pro which is a good card but definitely not in the same league as an 8800GTX. It is also single slot so no need to remove anything from the PC and can be powered by existing power supply.

If you do go with the motherboard swap to get PCI-Express support you will have to change the power supply as well in the case as it would not be enough for the 8800GTX and you might have to get a new case altogether depending on the layout of the old motherboard in the Dell 4300.

A USB 56k modem will allow you to remove at least the 56k modem device from the internal PCI slots.

About the chip, I have a 3.06ghz ht pentium 4, is this still any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yeah it's still fine for most stuff though it is probably socket 478 not socket 775 which is the current the one so if you buy a new motherboard then you will need a new CPU as well.

The X1950Pro or an AGP 7600GT (also single slot) is probably the best course of action to keep the system ticking over as you will end up practically building a new machine around the 8800GTX as you cannot re-use your existing CPU, motherboard, RAM & power supply.

the power supply on the Dell 4300 is a measly 250W so there is a small risk it wont be able to power the X1950 Pro, if you don't want to chance it go with the 7600GT instead.

In the words of a very wise Simpson, "All this computer hacking is making me thirsty", ie. I think I will leave it go for a while and just buy an Xbox360. I don't feel ready to buy a full new pc...

Advertisement