Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM for my dell

Options
  • 26-05-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

My work are getting rid of a few old computer (2003ish) and I got some RAM chips from them to see if I could put them in my computer at home. It's a Dell Dimension 4600.

Do I have to out the RAM in in pairs> ie 2 256MB chips or something like that or can I just put in individual chips?

My other question is, is a DDR32x64PC210088VS chip is compatible with my computer? Or a PC133U-333-542?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Go to ,

www.crucial.com

and use the memory finder for you PC to see what type of RAM it takes , you cant just grab random memory sticks and shove them in your PC , it is entirely possible that you could kill it.
    How do you know that the memory you picked up is not damaged ? It could cause havoc with your PC.

Check the type that your PC uses , and verify that the memory you have " picked up" is compatible , if you cant verify what type it is , then dont put it anywhere near your machine ,

Memory is Dirt cheap these days , if you need it I suggest you buy new. Its not nearly as risky as what your doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'll check that site, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Shop4memory.com are good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

If PC2100 is the type of RAM that's in it then that is DDR266 so it wont work PC133 which is SDRAM.

The Crucial memory selector will get the right type for you.

Thanks for the replies. I checked the crucial site (I need pc2700 RAM) and I them phoned the Maplin shop near me in Cork €82ish for 1 512MB and €140ish for 1 1GB chip, far more expensive than the prices on the crucial site.

Anyone know if crucial are reliable for delivery and how long do they normally take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Crucial are probably one of the best sites for deliveries ,they won't take an order if an item is not in stock.
    If I buy on a monday , i have it on wednesday. Tracked by UPS.

_Brian_ wrote:
    Crucial are probably one of the best sites for deliveries ,they won't take an order if an item is not in stock.
    If I buy on a monday , i have it on wednesday. Tracked by UPS.

Thanks for your reply, I had just ordered 2 512MB A-Data DDR PC2700 333MHz CL2.5 module (16 chips)(10796) from www.shop4memory.com a few minutes ago. €43 each + €5 for DHL postage, so €91 in total. Alot cheaper than going to Maplin anyway.

Advertisement