Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where would I buy a tank ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

ok i admit that would be cool, but for the moment i just want a tracked vehicle with a huge barrel on the front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Judt

Isn't there a chap in London who drives around in a big yellow Scorpion he bought off of the brits? I think that the only requirement is that he constantly has an L plate on it - that is, can't drive it on motorways and suchlike.

Basically I think you'd want a light tank, not a main battle tank - even if only because you'd have trouble parking a challenger. You'll still roll over puny little hybrids in it.

I think you'd want to be fairly well off to do it, though. Tanks aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles on God's slightly less green earth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Judt wrote:
    Isn't there a chap in London who drives around in a big yellow Scorpion he bought off of the brits?

It's an Abbot, I referred to it above.

NTM

I always liked classic cars and fancied getting myself a Wily World War 2 Jeep but a tank?

Damn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Errr...NO! Tanks do not come under firearms laws in Ireland.More under the road traffic act.
    First off no army is going to sell you a fully working firing tank.You can be assured you will get a pipe[Barrel] for want of a better word,with no firing controls,breech closing mech,targeting mech ,etc on that. In other words anything that could be reworked to make it go Bang!
    Tracked vechicles with bits of pipe stuck out of them are not firearms.At most your local Super [if he is a bollix] will want to get you for 35 quid for a permit to hold a deacted firearm authorisation permit.However the vechicle would be more dangerous than any firearm,if nicked.Remember the nutter who nicked one from the local national gaurd depot and went off for a spin in one in San Diego about 10 years ago? A few million dollars later worth of damage to public and private property.He was stopped by bottoming out on a highway dividers,and many 45 bullets from the local police force.Until then the police [armed] were powerless to stop him,and were considering calling the California governor to order the nat gaurd to bring up a anti tank missile to stop it.So you could imagine the FUN here if such an incident occured?
    OTOH, yes it is perfectly legal to drive on road[Albiet slow,noisey,and uncomfortable,and not very much fun on ice or snow roads].
    And a little known Road traffic act fact here.It is more than likely road tax exempt!Somthing about military vechicles being exempt from road tax.Now,it doesnt specify IRISH military vechicles!Current or past ones either. Sooo,you would really only need insurance.Heavy on the collision side of things methinks.
    Nice hobby,for a rich man[See Tom Clancy& Co].Or to make a point at the next crustie global tree hugging love in.:D .Or to confound the Gaurds.But not a very practical day to day solution for the school runn...or maybe yes.

Anyone got a K5 Blazer or Hummer for sale???Bit more modest meself.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1. Head over to the UK
    2. Buy one of these
    3. 'Drive' it across the Irish Sea
    4. ...
    5. Profit!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Errr...NO! Tanks do not come under firearms laws in Ireland.More under the road traffic act.

Yes they do - Firearms Act 1925 s1.(1) "In this Act—
    the "firearm" means a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharge"

More to the point, s2 suggests that gun barrells on ships are also firearms: s2.(3)(e) exempts "the possession of a firearm or ammunition on board a ship as part of the equipment of the ship"

Both of Road Traffic and Firearms legislation can apply to a tank.
    Tracked vechicles with bits of pipe stuck out of them are not firearms.

What's a shotgun but a pipe with a firing mechanism? If you deactivate the firing mechanism the shotgun does not become a pipe, it becomes a deactivated shotgun. To give you an example, if a person went into a bank and held it up with a deactivated shotgun, they couldn't get away with it by saying that they were just showing off their pipe to the teller. A tank is a weapon, it meets the definition of a firearm, and if you deactivate it it becomes a deactivated weapon - it doesn't become a completely different - and harmless - thing called a "tracked vehicle[] with bits of pipe stuck out of [it]"
    At most your local Super [if he is a bollix] will want to get you for 35 quid for a permit to hold a deacted firearm authorisation permit.

He is entitled to refuse to give a permit. If he is a "bollix" or a rational human being, I think he would refuse to give the permit unless there was a more concrete reason than "I wanna get pissed and scare hippies" or whatever it is.
    OTOH, yes it is perfectly legal to drive on road[Albiet slow,noisey,and uncomfortable,and not very much fun on ice or snow roads].
    And a little known Road traffic act fact here.It is more than likely road tax exempt!Somthing about military vechicles being exempt from road tax.Now,it doesnt specify IRISH military vechicles!Current or past ones either. Sooo,you would really only need insurance.Heavy on the collision side of things methinks.

Where do you get your information from? For example, the citizen's information website doesn't mention anything about military vehicles. If someone did want to drive a tank on the roads (for whatever reason) it would still have to meet the same criteria that any other mechanically propelled vehicle has to meet - it must be roadworthy, the driver must have the right category of licence, I think it would probably have to be taxed, and it would need insurance.
    Del2005 wrote:
    If this is the case how did Ian Paisley give Bertie a gun just before the election?

Perhaps he had a firearms certificate or permit. He may also have had diplomatic immunity. Also, even if he was committing an offence, who is going to arrest him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

There was always a tank in a field between Carlow and Kilkenny promoting a paintball venue..It ain't there anymore..Maybe somebody else will know bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If a tank is always a tank then how do they sell the ex-military JEEPs and other vechiles? If they ever a a gun mount on then you need to get a firearms cert to have one? Is the tank not just a heavily armoured bull dozer with a couple of guns stuck into it(very simplistic discription)? If the guns are removed it just becomes a bad bulldozer.

Advertisement