Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epilators..

• 26-05-2007 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

Any girls here use an epilator?
    When i shave my legs it starts to regrow almost instantly..which is a pain..
    when i go to something formal and i wear a dress, i have to wear tights (cos fake tan would come off if i shaved my legs afterwards) which means closed toe shoes..no nice strappies for me..

So, anyone have one?
    I want to buy one but am unsure if the brand i should go for..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Do it!
    Seriously, I'm exactly the same when it comes to re-growth and it caused so many issues for me. Waxing is great and all, but you have to let it grow a bit before you get it done which is really unpleasent.
    Finally decided to bite the bullet and buy an epilator for myself and it works an absolute treat! Grabs every little hair and lasts about a week - and for me thats a bloody good effort!
    The pain isn't too bad at all, infact, it's strangely comforting after a while! If you have ever gotten a wax, it's less painful than that.
    If you have a night out or something planned, do it the night before, as you will have little red bumps for about 12hours after its done while the skin settles down. And have a shower/bath before you do it as it will open the pores making it easier to pull out.

I got a Braun 3170 ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FLPNJW/ref=nosim/kaufenundbe4-21 )
    Has a wee massage head to use first to ease you in, but trust me, you won't need it after 5mins!

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

wow! thanks Fiii
    I'll definately invest in one after your glowing report...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

I was wondering about those too, what kind of price are they? Would anyone recommend any others? Seems like it might be a good investment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Well having read those posts and because I was a bit bored this afternoon I headed into town and bought myself one. Got a Braun EpiSilk easy start I think it was called. It was in Boots reduced from 90 to 75.

I'd thought about using one a few times but always been to chicken! I play a lot of sports now (which unfortunately involve shorts!) so waxing isn't an option because you have to leave hair too long between waxes so I was nearly shaving every day.

Anywya I've just used the epilator for the first time. It wasnt half as bad as I thought it would be! And I don't think I've the highest pain threshold in world either. I can't really explain the feeling, a bit sore, but nothing too bad. My legs look a bit like they have chicken pox now (same thing happens me anytime I wax) but hopefully that should be gone by the morning.

So hopefully this is the start of a new and beautiful relationship with my hairless legs :)

Oh only negative thing about the one I bought is that its not run on batteries so it has to be plugged in to be used :( i just assumed when I was buying it that it'd have rechargable batteries like most shavers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

sillysocks wrote:
    Oh only negative thing about the one I bought is that its not run on batteries so it has to be plugged in to be used :( i just assumed when I was buying it that it'd have rechargable batteries like most shavers.

Yeah, I too found that a bit annoying! Small price to pay though in the long run I think.
    They are kind of expensive, ranging from in and around 70-120, but when you think how much you would spend on waxing, razors etc, it kind of works out the same.

Haha, just realised I sound like an epilator spokeswoman here ;)
    I love mine anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

They're advertising a new one (Gilette maybe) on TV at the moment with tweezer action I think... sounds painful

Strokesfan wrote:
    They're advertising a new one (Gilette maybe) on TV at the moment with tweezer action I think... sounds painful

Yeah i think it might be the braun epiSILK that i saw advertised the other day.
    Now i had seen them around but i guess when i saw the ad i was like "oh what a good idea, i've got to get me one of those"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

I used a Braun one as well. But I think my hair is too fine for it. It never managed to get them all. So I would always feel some hair that had been left.

I think it depends on your growth. I can shave and that does it for two days. But my friends who use one all have a Braun one and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hmm think I might try an epilator. Worried about the pain though! If it's not as bad as waxing i'll give it a go...at the moment I shave every other day or use Veet cream but it's so messy and time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

hey meowcat which braun one do you use? I'm thinking of getting one this weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

eth0_ wrote:
    or use Veet cream but it's so messy and time consuming.

i love how nice and smooth my legs feel after using that but it just always seems like such an effort & mess!

i have 1 friend who has/had an epilator and thought it was fantastic. i have another friend who bought 1 and im not sure if she ever used it after her 1st try..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

boffin wrote:
    hey meowcat which braun one do you use? I'm thinking of getting one this weekend!

I have this one. But as I said, I don't think it catches all the fine hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 coffeyb6

when i shave i end up with little black dots on my legs because of the roots still in my leg does the epilator remove it all? even when i wax sometimes my pores are still very visible, its a pain in the ass, when i put fake tan on it all goes into my pores and my legs end up all dotty. i think an epilator will be my next investment.

i think i've started an epidemic...
    And yet i still have to get one.
    I actually dreamed of one last night..worked like a dream it did...made my legs very toned and tanned too....hmmm...if only.

Which one is everyone getting - I know I sound like a sheep following the group but just curious!!!

boffin wrote:
    Which one is everyone getting - I know I sound like a sheep following the group but just curious!!!

Yeah i want to know too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

Like meowCat I've really fine hair and I feel like it leaves quite a lot behind, I've to go over my legs tons of times and I can still feel little hairs. Some definietly get broken off too leaving a touch of stubble.

I've a philips one, it's red and green with a massage head and is mains or rechargeable. I've only been able to handle the sensation on my legs so far which isn't really what I got it for. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I have the Philips red one aswell a few years. They are very good especially coming into summer, not too painful to use but sorer on the fleshy areas like inner thighs etc.

I have the philips red one too I swear by it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Come on girls, those who haven't tried an epilator yet, let's all buy one this weekend and report back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

^^ I'm seriously thinking of it... Just the thought of all the pain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

i got a braun one last year and used it once or twice cause it kinda hurt...then I took it out again the other day and did a leg and a half before I couldn't do any more! I do have stupidly sensitive skin but it works. I am going to keep using it hoping it gets easier tho.

went inot town especially to get one yesterday..
    but the ONLY one i found was a remmington one in debenhams for €50. i dont think anyone here had mentioned the remmington one so i didnt bother buying it..i tried boots(who had NONE)..i only had limited time so had to head home then..but i couldnt think of where else to look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

Try Argos, I think I saw them in the catelogue

dirtydress wrote:
    Try Argos, I think I saw them in the catelogue

where were you yesterday when i was walking around town, racking my brain trying to think of somewhere?
    Thanks, good idea.
    I was also looking on ebay..so might get one there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Taffy89

how do they work on very fine hairs i wonder..??

well some people on this thread have said that it doesnt seem to work too good on fine hairs, as they would either not catch properly or else they would crack when being pulled...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

well done Femmy for posting this - I've wanted to know about them for ages!! I think I'll get one tomorrow for a birthday present for myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭jos28

My legs have more hair than Ryan Giggs legs !
    I have some birthday present vouchers left, so I am off to join the epilator gang tomorrow.

• Advertisement

An update from someone who bit the bullet already..... well as I said in my first post I got the epilator last weekend and used it on my legs - the legs looked seriously odd afterwards for about a day.

But I had missed some bits I think so I went back at it again on Thurs evening and my legs didn't react at all this time, so maybe they got used to it after the first time!

I got brave earlier in the week as well and tried under my arms.....not for the faint hearted - was very sore!! But once i had started I said I might as well keep going (with chants of "someday you might have to go through childbirth and surely that will be worse than this so stick at it" in my head). But I think I must have been to heavy handed doing it cause for days after I had what looked like burns under both my arms that stung like hell! Hopefully that was just a once off like the legs......

Still trying to work up courage to go for bikini line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I got one a few years ago. Although it wasn't the type they have now with the massaging heads etc, I didn't find it too painful on the main part of my legs.
    However, as soon as I went near my ankles - tears! It felt like a slow, prolonged wax to me. Also as mentioned, any fine hairs just broke off.

I think I am too scared to try again... My leg hairs are quite fine though, so I usually get away with only shaving once a week (touches wood).

kittex wrote:
    I got one a few years ago. Although it wasn't the type they have now with the massaging heads etc, I didn't find it too painful on the main part of my legs.

The massaging head thing is on the one I bought but you can use it without that - I was wondering how much good the massaging bit actually does? I suppose only way to find out is to take it off!

Also I forgot to add, with the Epi-Silk starter pack you get two epilator attachments-one is meant to be used when you're using it for the first few times, it has less "tweezer" bits so I presume not as much pain all at once, but after 2 mins of using that I moved to the main one because I reckoned it was better to use lots of "tweezer" bits and have it over and done with quicker! With the beginner one you'd have to go over each part of your leg a few times I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

It hurts less every time. I can't feel it anymore. Excellent for bikini and underarms because I can never get the last little bit of stubble with a razor.

Grows back finer too, I think.

Takes a couple of uses to get it perfect. I'd give it half an hour to do my legs, but that's not even once a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Hester

I'd give it half an hour to do my legs, but that's not even once a week.
    :eek: :(
    I've been using an epilator for well over a year now and I've been disappointed with the results. I really need to use it every day as the hairs seem to grow back as quickly as if I had shaved! I'm continuing to use it as I haven't found a better alternative. The regrowth isn't as stubbly as from shaving and I wouldn't fancy waiting around for the hairs to grow long enough to wax.

Maybe my hairs are particularly resisiant? I don't know but I keep using it in the hope that with more time the regrowth will reduce. I use it on my legs and underarms - it was irritating my bikini line too much so put a stop to that. I don't find it painful, but I wouldn't mind enduring pain if I was using something that was giving me good results! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

what price range are these all in?.. and when i shave i get like little dots on mylegs, showing exactly where the hairs are if you know what i mean, does that still happen with epilators 'cause its really annoying :mad: :(

• Advertisement

hey they're on offer in Boots and you get double points on them!! I got a Braun one earlier with €20 off!:D I'll be trying it out later on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

I dunno whether to get one! I don't want to waste 70euro on something that only works for half of the people who've tried them. Seriously mixed reviews here. Also worried about the pain, and the fact that it misses a lot of hairs (?)

I'm not sure if I have fine hair....lol! I don't think I do, so maybe it'll work on me.

Anyone tried it who has really sensitive skin? Or anyone who has exzema?

ok, bit the bullet at the weekend and bought the braun one! Used it straight away - I'll like a kid that way! It comes with a started one and the normal tweezer head - I decided to start with the beginner one. The most frightening thing I found was the noise - it sounds like it was going to shear off my skin!! :eek: However once I plucked up the courage I placed it on my leg and it was grand!! So got braver and changed to the normal tweezer head. Well once I got started I kept going and did my full leg and bikini line! Surprising it wasn't painful - it was a little sore around the knees and inner calf. In terms of the results - my upper leg and bikini line were great and it got all the hairs! On my lower leg I think I broke a good few hairs as I was doing it - but I think this may be due to lack of experience on my part because by the time I got to my upper leg I was flying through it and don't have any broken hairs there! I am going to give it a couple of days more and then try my lower legs again but even if it only will work for my upper leg and bikini line well I'll still be happy! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

I really want to get one of these as my re-growth is so quick and my hairs are quite stubborn to remove.

But I am terrifed of the pain! I have a good pain threshold but I tried my friend's one last year and it was pure agony.. Now in fairness I started at my ankle area and worked up but I probably lasted only around 5 seconds!!

I do not want to waste money on buying one and cannot use it cos of the pain... Is there a technique on how to use these to avoid the pain? Do you start at your ankle area and work up or the opposite??

oooh the pain I can still remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭anonymous69

Hey girls, some of you have said it last about a week. OK so u use it, and then the next day, is it still as smooth, say if u had just shaved it?, if u know wot i mean?

Basically any tiny incy bit of stubble, my bf gets completely turned off! so annoying! so basically i have to spend a half hour shaving my legs before everyrtime i see him. so if for example i spent half an hour shaving my legs on a sunday night, stayed in my boyfriends on the sunday night, then on monday morning its stubble, and hes turned off!! and this is only the next morning??

I need a solution badly. Even when I get my legs waxed, id spend about 6weeks letting the hair grow (torture, as from my other problem wit my bf), and yet they're never as "smooth as a babys bottom" as people say. they are slightly prickly, from day 1 of gettingt them waxed. HELP please!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

There really isn't another solution. Even laser therapy won't give you the results your boyfriend is looking for. If it were me I'd tell my boyfriend to grow up and be thankful that I bothered shaving my legs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

daiixi wrote:
    There really isn't another solution. Even laser therapy won't give you the results your boyfriend is looking for. If it were me I'd tell my boyfriend to grow up and be thankful that I bothered shaving my legs at all.

:eek: :D

I have given up shaving my legs everyday and I dont care what the bf says. I shave my legs when he shaves his face!!

Seriously considering the epilator... Can someone advise on the pain??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

Well stockings, he won't know the difference.

Well I bought one at Christmas. Although it hurts like mad (must be a wimp) my biggest problem is in-grown hairs. I never get them when shaving but the re-growth from the epilator is really bad. I exfolate (sp?) every night and have even bought a metal file from the chemist that is supposed to be used for feet. This does work but hurts and makes the skin red. My only option is to get a tweezers and start picking off the hairs. Not painful but takes years.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Finally got an epilator..after all my talk a few months back...
    let my hair grow for 2 days..it grows really fast by the way.
    i bit a few inches on one leg....

OUCH!!!!
    not sure if i have the guts to go at it again..it was seriously sore right down at the end of my leg by my foot.

I found it really sore the first time too. I read here that it's better not to use the beginner head but thought everyone meant the tweezer part. I stopped using the roller attachment thing(that goes over the tweezer part) so the tweezers are much closer to my skin and find it way better. Any time i go down by my ankles I chicken out thou and use the shaver attachment! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭ASIL1983

For anyone considering getting one let me tell you this- it only hurts when you are doing it the pain then goes when you stop. Now let me also say that i only got them yesterday and have attempted my lower legs only so far. Im still waiting to do my bikini line and i imagine it will be quite painful. But its not uncomfortable for ages afterwards like waxing is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I once shaved my legs cause i was dressing up as a woman (dont ask) but i used my flat mates eplater she had to show me how to empty it .... i had no hair on my legs for ages very good .didnt hurt or nothing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

I have an Emjoi EpiLady. I've had brilliant results. I even use it on the the same--erm--areas... where I used to pay ridiculous sums for a Brazilian wax. Practice makes perfect, and I've gotten to the point where I can get salon wax results. You can't be rushed when you do it. Make sure you have enough time and privacy. It also helps to take a very hot, long shower first, which helps loosen the hairs. Another tip: play loud music on your iPod..
    It does sting a bit but it's manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

jbl123 wrote: »
    I have an Emjoi EpiLady. I've had brilliant results. I even use it on the the same--erm--areas... where I used to pay ridiculous sums for a Brazilian wax. Practice makes perfect, and I've gotten to the point where I can get salon wax results. You can't be rushed when you do it. Make sure you have enough time and privacy. It also helps to take a very hot, long shower first, which helps loosen the hairs. Another tip: play loud music on your iPod..
    It does sting a bit but it's manageable.

ha good thinking with the ipod thing, I always think people downstairs will think I'm up to something totally different. How on earth do you do your bikini line? Is the pain not unbearable?

• Advertisement
Advertisement