Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epilators..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I once shaved my legs cause i was dressing up as a woman (dont ask) but i used my flat mates eplater she had to show me how to empty it .... i had no hair on my legs for ages very good .didnt hurt or nothing.....

I don't believe this. Epilating hairs the length of those on a man's legs would be absolutely excruciatingly painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

jbl123 wrote: »
    I have an Emjoi EpiLady. I've had brilliant results. I even use it on the the same--erm--areas... where I used to pay ridiculous sums for a Brazilian wax. Practice makes perfect, and I've gotten to the point where I can get salon wax results. You can't be rushed when you do it. Make sure you have enough time and privacy. It also helps to take a very hot, long shower first, which helps loosen the hairs. Another tip: play loud music on your iPod..
    It does sting a bit but it's manageable.

hi do you cover all areas that a Brazilian wax does or just the front? Sorry to be graphic but I'm always scared to do it all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

tink2 wrote: »
    hi do you cover all areas that a Brazilian wax does or just the front? Sorry to be graphic but I'm always scared to do it all!
    Yes, I do it all. I can't say it's a comfortable experience, but I prefer epilate in the privacy of my home rather than have a stranger waxing my bits! Glass of wine helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

eth0_ wrote: »
    I don't believe this. Epilating hairs the length of those on a man's legs would be absolutely excruciatingly painful.
    Wouldn't it just be the same pain at the root regardless of the lenght? I've used epilators when my leg hair was fullest (and have a lot of it!) and didn't notice a different between short hair and long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

taram wrote: »
    Wouldn't it just be the same pain at the root regardless of the lenght? I've used epilators when my leg hair was fullest (and have a lot of it!) and didn't notice a different between short hair and long.

You must be very lucky :) If I get the hairs grow more than a couple of mm long it starts to get painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

jbl123 wrote: »
    Yes, I do it all. I can't say it's a comfortable experience, but I prefer epilate in the privacy of my home rather than have a stranger waxing my bits! Glass of wine helps.

hmmm drunk bikini epilating -this could be interesting haha! Will give it a go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

eth0_ wrote: »

ok have a pic :)

1rst the my head hair is'nt allways that long , i was doing a season so getting my ahir cut was'nt on my list... :)

http://i42.tinypic.com/fkr7s3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I thought Amazon.co.uk wouldn't deliver to Ireland. I tried using the usual belfast postcode with my address but as soon as I placed the order it was canceled. It was for a men's razor...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

taram wrote: »

I think it's a tugging thing, it tugs hairs that it isn't close enough to to pluck, IYKWIM.

I bought one about 2 years ago, I tried it on my legs, but the hairs are so fine that it just broke them rather than plucking, so I went back to shaving them.

I use it on my bikini line and underarms. I find that if I do it once a week, there is next to no pain, however if I leave it and the hairs get stronger (tips of new hairs are finer than the rest) it does get quite painful.

I love the results on my underarms I have to say, I could never get a close enough shave so as there not to be a shadow so this is a great solution for me.

To avoid ingrowing hairs I scrub the epilated areas every shower and moisturise. Also to prevent the little red spots after epilation, I find a solution of a few drops of tea tree oil in warm water works a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Das Kitty, I found the same as you on my legs. A lot of the hairs just broke and I found it pretty painful on my legs. I try it every now and again and my skin ends up red and feeling like it's on fire.

It's brilliant for underarms though. I have that problem where I shave and it immediately grows back but for underarms it's amazing. I can leave it up to two weeks, makes life alot easier! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

I took the advice here, had a hot shower, exfoliated and started epilating and am delighted with the results.

I dab on some tea tree oil first, its a great antispectic, stretch the skin as I'm doing it and breath in and out slowly, you soon forget the pain.

I don't really use it on my legs as I can't bring myself to let the hair grow that long but love it for the bikini area.
    I just leave a little line like a Brazilian would. I love the clean feeling from it.

Then when I'm finished I tweeze the hairs it didn't grab and then dab on more tea tree oil (to prevent infection and ingrown hairs) and a growth inhibitor I got from a beauty supply shop. It works wonders!!

I love epilating, I've two friends hooked.... They reccommend pain killers or a shot of vodla forst to kill the pain :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭willy wonka

I used epilators years ago. I had 2 of them, think they were both Phillips, one had a massaging head, the other had an ice pack that would slighlty numb the area before you removed the hair. Although as most people said I built up a tolerance fairly quickly and didn't use the gimmicky things after a while.

I stopped using it for a number of reasons; I didn't like the bumpy feeling of my skin afterwards. It lasted about a day. The hair on my legs is a mixture of strong and fine (probably weakened from waxing) and the epilator didn't catch these. I think eventually nobody will be able to use epilators as epilating would cause weakened hairs.

Ok at the mo I am looking into buying a home laser unit - not the ones in Argos - but a more expensive, and more importantly approved and guaranteed model. Can't think of its name offhand but it has me excited!! It's name is TRIA!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

I took the advice here, had a hot shower, exfoliated and started epilating and am delighted with the results.

I dab on some tea tree oil first, its a great antispectic, stretch the skin as I'm doing it and breath in and out slowly, you soon forget the pain.

I don't really use it on my legs as I can't bring myself to let the hair grow that long but love it for the bikini area.
    I just leave a little line like a Brazilian would. I love the clean feeling from it.

Then when I'm finished I tweeze the hairs it didn't grab and then dab on more tea tree oil (to prevent infection and ingrown hairs) and a growth inhibitor I got from a beauty supply shop. It works wonders!!

I love epilating, I've two friends hooked.... They reccommend pain killers or a shot of vodla forst to kill the pain :p
    Great step by step instructions!! which one do u use?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Hester wrote: »
    :eek: :(
    I've been using an epilator for well over a year now and I've been disappointed with the results. I really need to use it every day as the hairs seem to grow back as quickly as if I had shaved! I'm continuing to use it as I haven't found a better alternative. The regrowth isn't as stubbly as from shaving and I wouldn't fancy waiting around for the hairs to grow long enough to wax.

Maybe my hairs are particularly resisiant? I don't know but I keep using it in the hope that with more time the regrowth will reduce. I use it on my legs and underarms - it was irritating my bikini line too much so put a stop to that. I don't find it painful, but I wouldn't mind enduring pain if I was using something that was giving me good results! :(

I think some of your hairs are breaking instead of being pulled out. That happens to me a bit in areas where the hair is particularly fine, like inner knees and backs of calves, but I have so little hair there I could go without removing it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

So I got one and my legs were grand... not painful at all,,altho i do think that maybe the hairs were just breaking and not actually being pulled as it felt sutbly after..
    but bikini area was soo sore..

can anyone let me know if you should drag the head slowly on the area and how to prevent hairs breaking?!
    thanks in advance :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement