Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old columbus steel frames

Options
  • 26-05-2007 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi, does anyone know anything about old 1990's columbus cromor Tre Tubi Special Frames? basically i am wondering if these are compatible with carbon fibre forks? and also i was thinking of changing the 7 shaped stem for a flat bar stem. This will mean i will have to change the headset as well but is this an easy or viable thing to do? anyones help would be much appreciated. I have attached a pic of the bike.

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

afaik you can get carbon forks to fit these frames. but they aren't that common. You have 2 options, get a threaded carbon fork that will be a straight swop and your stem will fit itl.

Or get a std threadless fork and change the headset and to an ahead stem. The quill stem on that bike works totally differently that the newer designs as it it threaded while newer ones aren't

Option one is easier but harder to get the forks. option 2 is more work but easier to get bits and pieces.

Imo I don't think any of these changes are worth the effort, that frame won't look right in my opinion with a carbon fork and the steel forks are pretty comfy anyway.

you have a nice classic there, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

thanks for the advice. yeah you could be right. maybe better off just sticking with the classic look. its hardly a top range racing machine anyway and neither am i for that matter. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I'd agree that there's not much point in changing to a carbon fork. If you want to use flat bars you can do that with the existing stem - check the diameter though.

Advertisement