Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

case mod

Options
  • 26-05-2007 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know if it would be safe to use plastic posters from the election to construct a case sinnce they seem to be a relativley strong plastic or does it have to a particular material?

This is purely out of wanting a cheap case i am not suggesting any political affiliations and i am not trolling robins

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Well i like the idea of recycling but here i dont think it would work. The plastic is just too light. It would rip and tear and bend too much. It's generally corrigated light guage stuff they use and screws just wouldnt work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

ah right, well thanz for the reply anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

people have made cases from cardboard..
    http://www.spodesabode.com/content/article/cardboard

U can even buy a flatpack one.. http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2005/10/cardboard_pc_ca.html

Dont see any reason why u couldnt make one from the plastic posters, apart from harney looking at u while ur gaming...

Lmao Rosco.
    On second thought. It could work it would just be difficult. Mounting the mobo would require some extra support which i suppose could be done by using either large washers on narrow bolts. m3 would do i think. or makin some kind of plate to attach it to and mounting that on to the plastic with ,again bolt/washer arrangment. To answer your electrical question though i'd say youd be safe enough but those posters wouldnt stand up to much heat and would become even softer at a fairly low heat.
    If yor lookin for a cheap case though they can be bought for as little as 20-30 quid online plus postage. And you could chop drill and mod that without much it weighing on your conscience/pocket.
    Also are you seriously thinkin about this?!?!

i was seriously thinking of it, after i woke up moring and seen the posters in my room the idea just hit me

although im also considering using the case of a broken scanner

but i feel the signs would be easier to cut and shape, il just make sure theirs a lot of ventilation on top

• Advertisement

lol, did you whip em down on the way home from the pub.
    Actually if you doubled them up alternating the grain of the corrigation it would make them very rigid and would be well strong enough. If your just goin to ly the mobo down like the cardboard box guy it would be fine. The more i think about it the more intersting it gets.

well their prtty big so i recken i should have enough material to reinforce them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Gwan, give it a shot. Although I wouldn't risk something like your main rig in it. Aim for a cheap HTPC setup and throw some junk in it first to see if it will work.

The main weakness you are going to encounter is that with weight on any of the ribs it will bend. Also you are going to have to seal it in some way to make 6 sides with an access panel. How do you plan to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Cable ties.

The solution to all of lifes problems...

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Anti wrote:
    Cable ties.

The solution to all of lifes problems...

Except for the old "how do i get this cable tie off my finger" problem

• Advertisement

conzymaher wrote:
    Except for the old "how do i get this cable tie off my finger" problem
    slip another cable tie under it, tie it and pull, viola
    lol.. maybe

That just makes me think about a purple finger tip, and a trip to A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get some good snips and a steady hand.

An out-of-season mince-meat pie to the first person to make a case from matchsticks.

Hmm.. Tempting. But i think ill pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

SyxPak wrote:
    An out-of-season mince-meat pie to the first person to make a case from matchsticks.

::::smokes furiously::::

"The main weakness you are going to encounter is that with weight on any of the ribs it will bend. Also you are going to have to seal it in some way to make 6 sides with an access panel. How do you plan to do this?"

A lot of superglue im hopping will work, ill reinforce its structure by placing some the ribs as you called them at right angles to the others.

my intentions were to wait until i get the parts all pute together and build it around them, not to tight of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

what you could do is build a timber frame and cover it in the posters

plastic + wood + pc = bad :(

o rly?

yarly.jpg

• Advertisement

anti do you ever work?