Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin South Central, what ya think?

Options
  • 26-05-2007 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Latest News from Dublin South Central (www.irishelection.com)

Word from the count centre is that Catherine Byrne (FG) is going to be elected without reaching quota on the final count, which means that Aongus O’Snodaigh (SF) will shade it ahead of Eric Byrne (Lab), with just 67 votes between them.

Right now papers are being re-checked to make sure that none of Eric’s votes went to Catherine by mistake, since they both have the same surname. There’s talk that Labour will be calling for a full recount.

It’s second time unlucky for Byrne, who lost out in 1997 to FF’s Ben Briscoe by a similarly small number of votes. He’s written probably the single best blog by any candidate throughout the campaign

I reckon Eric Byrne is gone, although there's still some hope. Anybody but Sinn Fein, eh?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

On the RTE website O'Snodaigh is in. Pity that, I would have loved to see the Shinners lose another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

According ot irishelection.com, Byrne has conceded; that that leaves SF on 4 seats with Labour on 20.

edit: confirmed on RTE
    http://www.rte.ie/news/elections2007/results/constit-18.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

When you consider that there was no Gay Mitchell to help them out in South Central, FG did very well, perhaps at the expense of Labour getting a second seat. At least O Snodaigh was made sit it out, barely getting in.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

E92 wrote:
    At least O Snodaigh was made sit it out, barely getting in.

That's absolutely no consolation, he's in. I'd have even preferred a PD to a Shinner getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

The PDs in this constituency were laughable.

Serves Eric Byrne right not getting in really... 67 votes, he pissed off a good few people in Terenure pushing the ban of a left turn onto a certain road in Terenure, a road he lives on. Screwed a lot of Terenure over by ruining the traffic in Terenure. I know he lost 4 votes in this house over it. Noone in my house put him on their ballot paper even though we do vote Labour

• Advertisement
Advertisement