Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Routing

Options
  • 26-05-2007 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a 3mb Irish Broadband connection. Over the past few days my Kerio firewall shows constant incoming traffic of 80-120 KB/s. This is with no programs accessing the internet on my machine.

At first I suspected a virus. I tried Ubuntu and the same situation was still happening. I used Wireshark to capture 30 seconds of traffic. From what I can tell, and I'm no expert, the traffic of 87.192.157.234 is being sent to my machine. This is not my IP address btw but it is an IBB address. I have attached a png of Wireshark running.

Has anyone any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Looks like you had BitTorrent running at some stage and the tracker is still sending traffic your direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Aidan, thanks for the quick reply. I had BitTyrant running several days ago. Why is the tracker still sending traffic to me? Can I stop it? Is the 87.192.157.234 machine the tracker? Apologies for the probably stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Maybe fire up the same torrent as the one you had running a few days ago, let it go for 5 minutes, then click the stop button for that torrent in your client. This should send the tracker the message they you're finished with it, rather than just killing your client without stopping the torrent which might leave it thinking you're still there.

Thanks for both your replies. Yesterday the problem seemed to have stopped but I tried Demon's suggestion anyway. Today it's back.

I have just run a two minute capture with Wireshark and have received 11406 packets 95% of which seems to be due to BitTorrent traffic. Once again the source or destination of the vast majority of this traffic is 82.192.157.234.

Is this a problem with this persons BitTorrent client? Why is their traffic being sent through me? I have no torrent client running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have you checked task manager to make sure there is no bittorrent process running in the background?

Move the file and delete anything else that came with the download (like seeder file or something like that, not too up on my bittorrent), you can't share something that isn't where it thinks it is.

• Advertisement

Definitely no process running in the background. To make sure of this I installed Ubuntu on the machine and the problem was still happening. I have never used BitTorrent under linux.

I have deleted both the file and the torrent. What puzzles me is that I'm not the destination for this traffic. It seems to being routed through my address even though my firewall is dropping it.

Advertisement