Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a spiritual dimension to atheism?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Jakkass wrote:
    I've asked myself if the feeling came from anything else. However the evidence, i.e it occurring when I read the Bible or try to communicate with God and look at the world around me, indicates that it is because of my faith that I have such a strong feeling in God deep down. If you got the same feeling every time you did these things you would also agree that it must be God that is driving it.

or its just a form of self-hypnoiss or visualition, the benefit seen from praying about medical illness in that experiment could be just visualation.

or inothers words a delusion

Jakkass wrote:
    No what I was looking for is to see if Atheists felt a certain feeling or an inspiration that drove them to be better people. The answer I got is no. Then I was subsequently questioned on how I view spirituality as a Christian.

You not asking about the feeling or inpiration (which are non-spirtual concepts)
    but your entire inference from asking that question is that athiests don't want to be better people (to improve themselves), and therefore are 'less better' people then spirtual people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

a bit of a coincidence to say that lostexpectation. I can't just accept that this is yet another coincidence, as seems to be very much the atheistic policy on everything that seems supernatural. I'd never see my faith to be a "delusion" either, as I've felt the benefits of it in my own life.

Jakkass wrote:
    a bit of a coincidence to say that lostexpectation. I can't just accept that this is yet another coincidence, as seems to be very much the atheistic policy on everything that seems supernatural. I'd never see my faith to be a "delusion" either, as I've felt the benefits of it in my own life.

do you believe visualition works?
    you don't see the similarities in visualation and prayer.

and you base it all again on something the you yourself say may or may not be conincidence?
    I'd never see my faith to be a "delusion" either, as I've felt the benefits of it in my own life.

So you say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Jakkass wrote:
    It's not a coincidence, it's a logical process, ie. Natural Selection.

And having faith could be the most beneficial thing in someone's life, but it doesn't make it true.

Being deluded does unquestionably have certain benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

lostexpectation I've spoken to a number of other Christians who have had similar experiences to me in their lives. So I'm pretty convinced that the faith I have is real. I've explained my reasons, and to be honest with you this discussion isn't going anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Jakkass wrote:
    lostexpectation I've spoken to a number of other Christians who have had similar experiences to me in their lives. So I'm pretty convinced that the faith I have is real.
    Just like to point out that the fact you've spoken to a number of other Christians about your experiences and that they've had similar ones isn't evidence in your books. As if you spoke to Muslims who had similar experiences to you you wouldn't convert to Islam or if you spoke to Atheists who had similar experiences you wouldn't dismiss it as a natural feeling and reject God.

The fact you think that a Christian God is behind these experiences is faith alone. You might believe that other Christians have had similar experiences to you, but that is also due to faith and is not evidence and should not, by your logic, convince you any further.

Advertisement