Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Irish Life & Permanent shares queries

Options
  • 26-05-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

My mother has some Irish Life & Permanent shares that she got free when they originally floated. She's now asking about selling them and I know nothing about it really. How would she go about selling them? Who would she need to get in touch with? Also, I presume as she got them free, she would be liable for Capital Gains tax on all proceeds??? How much is that?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this query, so let me know if you think it should be somewhere else.

Thanks in advance for any help..........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Capital gains is a flat 20%, although you would have to seek advicewith regard to what exactly you are liable for tax on. As ffar as I know, it is the difference betweenthe value of the asset when purchased and the value when sold,but because they were free, it's probably more complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭A Random Walk

chuckles30 wrote:
    How would she go about selling them? Who would she need to get in touch with?
    Any stockbroker or bank should be able to sell them, but shop around and look for the best fee. I'm not sure whether IL&P put in place any discounted mechanism for shareholders to sell through them, it might be worthwhile giving them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Did you look here?

http://www.irishlifepermanent.ie/ipm/shareholders/faqs/#faq13

Also to take advantage of the CGT relief your mother may wish to sell some each year for the next few years and as a result sell them tax free.

Advertisement