Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mares Avanti Quattro

• 26-05-2007 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi All

A dive instructor I was recently talking to remarked on my Mares Avanti X3 fins - that his Quattro fins would give him far more thrust in the water than my humble(?) 3 channel variants. Anyone know anything about the differences between 3 & 4 channel fins? Is there much of a difference?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

sifi wrote:
    Hi All

A dive instructor I was recently talking to remarked on my Mares Avanti X3 fins - that his Quattro fins would give him far more thrust in the water than my humble(?) 3 channel variants. Anyone know anything about the differences between 3 & 4 channel fins? Is there much of a difference?

The price methinks.....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chaotic

Avanti X3's are perfectly adequate fins.
    With a comment like that I would guess the instructor you were talking to probably hasn't been instructing for very long. Just how much thrust does he think you need?
    Diving is full of people who think they know it all, you learn to ignore them!
    Happy Diving! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

sifi wrote:
    Hi All

If I was guessing, I'd say no more than a 5% increase in performance. FWIW I own a pair of Quattros, they're good, but if you have a good pair of fins why change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

sifi wrote:
    Hi All

You know diving, as with may other sports, is not all about thrust!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sifi

Seems I have more money than sense and went and bought a pair of Quattros. 5% more thrust? I think you could safely add another 15% to that. The Quattros are a much more flexible fin to the X3's and the whole finning action is a hell of a lot less tiring on the legs.

Anyone want to buy a set of XL Mares Avanti X3's in blue - used about 6 or 7 times..........?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭mack1

I used Quattros and love them - but I doubt it makes too much difference! The guy is one of those "must have the latest and greatest" types (which is fine, coz I am little like that too, but no reason to be putting down other peoples gear for anything other than safety grounds)

PS - I'm moving away and gettin rid of the gear so you can have my Quattros (XL, Black, well used but good) for €50 if you want

Advertisement