Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

honda mechanic advice for frankenstein engine

Options
  • 27-05-2007 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭

i posted this in the motors section, but i think it is more suitable here in modified cars... hope the mods don't mind the repeat.

i'm was hoping to start my B20vtec project for my honda CRX in the next few weeks. i have most of the parts i need already and was going to try do the work myself as i love learning about cars by getting stuck in myself. the problem is that i have never done any engine work before, so i am beginning to think it may be better to get a pro to do it. also if i were to do it myself i'd need to buy some extra tools, like an engine lift, torque wrench, etc.

the job entails the following:
    1. taking the bottom end from my B16vtec engine and swapping it with the bottom end of a non-vtec B20 engine [from honda CRV jeep thingy]
    2. swapping the injectors for larger ones
    3. replacing the oil pump

the ECU will remain unchanged, it can learn the new fuel levels needed.
    there are many tutorials online for this, and was hoping to do it myself, but i think the best conpromise is to find a mechanic that will let me work on it with him so that i can learn all the steps. i have time off work, so have time to spare.

i guess my questions are:
    do you think any mechanics would let me help them out as they do the work?
    and could anyone recommend any mechanics that may be up for the job? [i'm based in dublin, so the closer the better].

all advice appreciated...
    dave

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Dave,

have you had a chat with andy in the tuning factory?
    they have carried out this conversion a few times already.

one of the big problems i hear about is supplying the new block with oil as i thing the B20 block doesnt have the same vtec system.

you should have a chat with them because as far as i know its not straight forward, theres alot of ecu things to be sorted out afterwards.

ph. 4298989 ask for andy.
    tell him you were talking to keith and he recommended them.
    a chat is free so its worth a chat imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

have never met anyone from tuning factory, but have heard mixed reviews [although most are good]. i already have the full golden eagle eagle kit to sort out the oil supply. i knew tuning factory had installed B18's in civics, but was not aware they had done a B20 before... interesting.
    i've read on several how-to's that you can leave the ECU stock, as i won't be aiming for 200hp and tuning it crazy [cams, pistons, etc.]. i'm just looking for more torque.

i'll be back in a few weeks from a long holiday, and will give them a call when i get back. thanks for the contact.

any other mechanics people could recommend? even apprentices that have their own equipment?

also keith, do you think tuning factory would let me watch them as they did the work on the car?... i am very eager to learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'd say they would depending on the times and how busy they are. When I had mine done it went into the shop at 10pm and the follwing day at 9am I got a call to collect it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

also keith, do you think tuning factory would let me watch them as they did the work on the car?... i am very eager to learn.

once you dont get in the way LOL
    yeah they are a sound bunch of lads, you can hang around and have a cuppa etc but i'd say it wont be an overnight job, they may take it for a week or so and do it as the go along so they dont rush anything.

but they would have no probs with you going down asking questions etc or taking pics to show the stages of the conversion.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote:
    but they would have no probs with you going down asking questions etc or taking pics to show the stages of the conversion.

sounds like a good compromise.
    layke wrote:
    I'd say they would depending on the times and how busy they are. When I had mine done it went into the shop at 10pm and the follwing day at 9am I got a call to collect it.

was that a B20 conversion layke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

No Dave,

I went from a 1.4i to a 1.6 non vtec coupe engine which didn't require a new ECU/Gearbox/Loom. I was just showing how quick they are at what they do.

mine won't require a new ECU/Gearbox/Loom either, but bottom end is replaced and some other oil lines are needed. my guess is that it will take 2 or 3 days... we'll see...

i emailed tuning factory, so i may get a price off them first when i get back and go from there. andy seemed to know his stuff, but i have a tight budget [as you can imagine after 5 months of travel!].

Advertisement