Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceann Comhairle

Options
  • 27-05-2007 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Don't know if its a joke but I heard Jackie h-rae for ceann comhaire. I do agree it should be the job of an independant though

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Bertie should make him Minister for Foreign Affairs.

Imagine him bigwigging in Brussels? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

It could happen if FF go into coalition with Labour or the Greens. But if they go in with the PDs they'll need the support of independents, and therefore wouldnt nominate one that they can generally depend on for support. Most likely to be an opposition deputy I reckon, just like 97-02.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If they want to go with the PDs/Independents it won't be JHR as he'll be one of the votes they'll be counting on. I think it was also mentioned that this might be the last time he stands, but as the Ceann Comhairle is returned automatically he might be tempted to stay on next time, whereas if he steps down I'm sure FF will be targeting his seat. Michael Lowry might be a better bet for them if they want an idependent as they won't unseat him next time round and possibly couldn't be sure of his continuing support this time. If they don't go with Labour or the Greens I suspect that it could be someone from one of those parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lol that would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

zaph wrote:
    Michael Lowry
    I sincerely doubt it. For them its bad enough that he has a FG background, never mind a bad FG background.

How about Harney?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Tony Gregory anyone??

Victor wrote:
    I sincerely doubt it. For them its bad enough that he has a FG background, never mind a bad FG background.

True, but strategically it would suit them. They mightn't like it, but if they want to go with the PDs and independents there may have to be sacrifices, and this could be one.

Victor wrote:
    How about Harney?

Only if they rule out the PDs, otherwise she'll be back to take the flak as Minister for Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

damienom wrote:
    Tony Gregory anyone??
    Yep

It could be FF - 78, PD's - 2, Healy-Rae and Cooper-Flynn - 2 and Gregory as Ceann Comhairle. That gives them 83, just enough to get in government.

Yep

It could be FF - 78, PD's - 2, Healy-Rae and Cooper-Flynn - 2 and Gregory as Ceann Comhairle. That gives them 83, just enough to get in government.

No it doesn't. The Ceann Comhairle is impartial and does not vote, except in cases where there is a tie, and then must adhere to particular voting conventions which don't automatically mean they will side with the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

zaph wrote:
    No it doesn't. The Ceann Comhairle is impartial and does not vote, except in cases where there is a tie, and then must adhere to particular voting conventions which don't automatically mean they will side with the government.
    That is true, but O'Hanlon would be allowed vote with the government. Gregory would be neutral then.

• Advertisement

But the figure of 78 for FF includes O'Hanlon. Add 2 PDs and 2 Independents and they're still one short and will need Gregory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

AidoCQS wrote:
    Don't know if its a joke but I heard Jackie h-rae for ceann comhaire. I do agree it should be the job of an independant though
    Even Bertie couldn't put him in the chair ... if little business gets done now, nothing at all would get done then.

Anyway, he's too safe an FF vote, assuming his shopping list is given due attention ...

Advertisement