Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We'll always have Paris, not

• 27-05-2007 9:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Just updated my Garmin 300 with the City Navigator NT Europe v9 software. But when I tried to find an address in Paris, it doesn't have it listed, though it offers similar addresses in Parigny. It doesn't seem to have Paris at all.

How do I get Paris to show up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

By the way, when I back off and then find my way to Paris on the visual map, it's actually named and mapped. But it doesn't seem to be there in the database. Only two cities called Parigny and Parigne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Are you aure you're not still searching in Ireland?
    make sure the Country field is empty.

Empty? I thought I should set the Country field to France, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

France will do the job too, just not Ireland!

Also, because the user interface was designed primarily for US users, sometimes the logic can be a little screwy (e.g. if searching for a small town in Ireland, should you search by City?) Is Paris classified as a city or a state/region?

For some reason, when I loaded up the Europe software, it didn't load in the detailed maps of the cities. A friend went back to the software and loaded in Paris.

It's probably ok when you're driving, but I found the guidance more or less useless while walking around Paris - for instance, I was an hour late to meet someone because it sent me walking along the quays instead of heading straight up the street I'd been on originally, putting an extra two miles on what should have been a half-mile walk.

I'd be very interested in trying out the equivalent TomTom while walking the city.

I'd like to try the Bluetooth TomTom that works with a Palm, too - but I wonder can you stick the TomTom into a pocket and hold the Palm, or does the TomTom have to be out in the open air to contact satellites. Otherwise you'd be wandering along holding one electronic gadget in one hand and another in the other.

(By the same token, I see that the Roma of Paris are still running the old trick that possibly gave the English language the word 'phony', from 'fáinne'; as I walked down rue de Rivoli a girl behind me exclaimed in wonder, showing a man the valuable-looking 'gold' wedding ring she'd just found and then engaging him in conversation. The same trick was tried on me twice in the following hour!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement