Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored Alarm System

Options
  • 27-05-2007 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

New to the page, just wondering if there's any legality in this. I'm applying for a 308 for target/deer shooting. I've been approved for my stalking permit, 2which won't be issued until 1 August. Anyhow, after talking to the guards in my local area a Crime Prevention Officer will be sent out to "assess" my house for starters. Thats ok. But then the local guards said that I will have to get a monitored alarm system. I mean, I just felt like saying no bother but its still gonna take an hour for ye to come out in the event of a robbery. I've had firearms for the last 8 years in the house and never a mention of a monitored alarm before. I got a safe and two savage dogs, and a garda sergeant living beside me and a regular guard living the other side of me. Do I really need a monitored alarm. Talk about blowing my budget out of the water.

Jonty

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Er well first off he is to look at your safe,not the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

I'm only saying what was said to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Under the CJB amendments they can require it of you. Its a failry standard requirement for pistols.

In my experince if they know their is a firearm in a premisis and there's a break in there there like a hot snot. Normally they look for 2 sensors to have been tripped before responding though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Er well first off he is to look at your safe,not the whole house.

CPO's will look at the whole house, its generally what they do day to day. COme over take a look over the place, give you pointers on your security, give you examples oh how criminas break in etc.

Yeah,BUT the Act specifies the gun safe,not the whole house.Amazing what incriminating evidence people can leave around and not think it will not be noted by an astute copper.:) .So why give them a free pass to snoop around your entire property??You invited them in,no need for a warrent,but every excuse to "check security" and see what else is going on in your life.
    Haas been done,and is duely noted any oddities as well.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote:
    Under the CJB amendments they can require it of you. Its a failry standard requirement for pistols.

In my experince if they know their is a firearm in a premisis and there's a break in there there like a hot snot. Normally they look for 2 sensors to have been tripped before responding though.

But its a rifle i'm applying for

Yeah but its a big one.

The powers that be don't seem to be to concerned about air rifles and .22s but they are concerned about the fullbores..

also, has there been an increase in burglary or whatever in your area?

I wouldn't say there was an increase in robberies. I know a friend who had to get a monitored alarm because of a pistol. He lives about 20 miles away. I think he's in the same jurisdiction as me. He had fullbore rifles previously and there was no mention of an alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

We have a monitered alarm that rings your phone when its been tripped does not go through any company. They are cheaper amybe a better option if they will accept it i only have a smallbore rifle and shotgun though and was not a condition on the license.

Is it possible to get a monitored safe? i.e. Instead of the house being alarmed, the safe is instead. I'm just thinking that maybe if I had went for a 6.5 instead of a .308 I might have been better off license-wise as i don't think the 6.5 is restricted

• Advertisement

Wont make any difference wether 6.5 or .308.
    Yes,there is plenty of options,especially if you have broadband or 3G,to set up a monitoring system as you describe nowadays.But it is wether your CPO,Super will accept them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I have connected safes to burglar alarms many times. Sometimes I've made it so that if the safe is opened or removed from the wall it will send a panic signal to the cops.

When you're told you need a monitored alarm they mean monitored by a monitoring company not by your own text or voice dialler, these will not be accepted.

If you wanted to go a step further you could get a GSM dialler installed to your alarm which rules out somebody cutting the phone line before it enters your house rendering it useless. All gun shops/dealers have to have either radio or GSM back up on their alarms.

CCTV is getting more popular amongst gun owners too and these systems can also be monitored live by a central station.

Thanks for that Fred, but can the gardai "make" me get the alarm system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Jonty wrote:
    can the gardai "make" me get the alarm system?
    No, but on the other hand, they don't "have to" issue you a Firearms Cert either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jonty wrote:
    Thanks for that Fred, but can the gardai "make" me get the alarm system?

No they can't but they will make it a precondition to the issuing of a FAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Saddlebags

Jonty wrote:
    Is it possible to get a monitored safe? i.e. Instead of the house being alarmed, the safe is instead. I'm just thinking that maybe if I had went for a 6.5 instead of a .308 I might have been better off license-wise as i don't think the 6.5 is restricted

Of course you can just alarm a safe but it wont be accepted! Check out the Garda policy on monitored alarms on their web site. They will only respond to a double activation so you would need something else to trigger before the safe.
    Financially, it wouldn't make sense to just alarm the safe, even if you put a PIR somewhere too, as the material cost of fitting the rest of the house with a decent system would not be prohibitive considering the cost of the rest of the equipment needed anyway.
    Plus you have more peace of mind!

Advertisement