Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've got the shooting bug

Options
  • 27-05-2007 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I've tried clay pigeon shooting a number of years ago and I was in Coutlough yesterday giving it another try. It sems I have now definitely been bitten by the bug.

I am looking for info on taking this up as a hobby and am interested in finding out what the cost would be as well as the necessary equipment. Speaking to the guys in Courtlough, a decent gun would cost around €1100, €90 for a safe, €40 for insurance and then cost of membership, ammo etc on top of that. I asked about a second hand gun but unfortunately they seem to be few a far between.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as regards where to search for second hand guns for sale or if you have any other advice please feel free to reply. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
    Keith.

Comments

Second hand sales are not allowed on this forum, however if you state what region you are in, I'm sure some people will be able to point you in the right direction of a friendly gun dealer.

Courtlough do second hand sales don't they? Last time I was up there they had a pretty large selection of used guns...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Second hand sales are allowed on this forum - read the charter.

Selling of equipment. Since there are some rather stringent legalities to selling firearms, not to mention the personal security issues involved, all sales on this forum should be carried out through a third party, a registered firearms dealer. All firearms dealers will act as the third party for a modest fee. So one post detailing the equipment you're selling and nominating the firearms dealer you're using as the escrow party. Arrange prices via PM, do not use the forum for haggling! Also note that this is intended for individuals selling equipment, not commercial firearms dealers. Commercial advertising is strictly prohibited.And it goes without saying that sales of illegal articles will not be facilitiated by boards.ie!

Then why is every thread with a mention of 'gun for sale' locked? That seems like a method of taking second hand sales of the forum on onto private conversation?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yup, they're all locked after the first post so that the haggling goes to PM. Not as a censoring kind of thing.

Sparks wrote:
    Yup, they're all locked after the first post so that the haggling goes to PM. Not as a censoring kind of thing.

my bad

Edit: OP

Chopperdog, who works in courtlough really knows his stuff on shotguns.. hopefully when he drops by he'll have some good advice for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

kkelly77 wrote:
    I've tried clay pigeon shooting a number of years ago and I was in Coutlough yesterday giving it another try. It sems I have now definitely been bitten by the bug.

I did this today for the first time in about 15 years.
    5 Euros for a box of Ammo and 6 Euro for 25-30 Clays

People I talked to said 400 Euro was enough for a 2nd Hand gun
    to start with.

I had the same problem as I had when I was a kid where I would take the
    shot but not follow the target. After the first shot I would loose sight of
    the target, stop find it again and re-fire. I did not take naturally to Shotgun
    like I did with rifle.

I also tried a friends semi-auto and you could shoot through the recoil
    a lot easier than the over and under but I kinda got the impression
    that the seasoned shooters kinda did not like the semi compared to the
    standard action.

For now my heart lies with Rifle more so than shotgun or pistol
    so next buy will be a fullbore but who knows might treat myself at
    christmas if I get a good work bonus.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Sorry for the hijack OP, but I too am interested in getting into shooting, but know even less than the OP about it. Went shooting clays once, and want to get more into it. I've taken a look at the Acts sticky at the top, but it's all a bit confusing to me.
    Don't suppose someone wants to break it down for me, what the deal is for me to end up preferably with my own shotgun and license? What are the loops I have to jump through, any required purchases I have to make, like a safe, insurance, membership of a club etc?
    Thanks a mill guys.

Best thing would be to pay a few visits to a local club.. and make sure that you like it!

Then, have a chat with your local guard to see what the local requirements for holding a firearm are; ie some areas are happy with a safe, others want alarms systems etc.. but for a shotgun you should be ok with a safe.

You will then have to join a club in order to get your gun, the club might be able to help you source one as well.

Very brief, but thats about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I dont know who you were talking to but as far as im aware there is no shortage of s/h shotguns in the country quaility differs vastly and if your going to be shooting alot of clays i would spend as much as you can you want to be spending from 900 up although if thats to much 500 to 600 will get you a shotgun but it wouldnt be ideal.

Depending on where you are theres gunshops in athy, portlaoise, leixlip? urlingford, athlone, waterford.

Obviously theres a good few more i'm just not sure where your from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Try Pat in Hilltop - www.pcquad.com - he'll probably be able to sort you out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement