Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The auld dog for the long road

Options
  • 27-05-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

In among the large number of shiny, young TDs elected to the 30th Dáil, a few, notable old-timers have also been re-elected.

-Mary "I'm in the bath" O'Rourke, a sprightly 69 years young, exacts revenge for 2002 on Donie Cassidy and joins her two nephews on government benches.

-PJ Sheehan (74), elected on the 'Tír na nÓg' ticket with Jim O'Keeffe for FG in Cork South West.

-Across the county bounds, Jackie Healy-Rae bucks the trend against independents and once again trumps the FF election juggernaut to take the third seat in Kerry South. At 76, he'll be the oldest member of Dáil Éireann.

A few other bits of trivia

- As well as the Lenihans, 3 siblings from the Kitt family elected for FF and, of course, the two Aherns.
    - A husband and wife team elected for FG (McHugh and Enright).
    - Not 100% sure about this, but Enda Kenny may replace Seamus Pattison as the 'Father of the House' - the longest serving TD - first elected in 1975.

Comments

Thats correct regarding Enda.I heard it mentioned by Bowman during the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Wonder what the average age of a TD is in the new Dail - 45/50?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zaphod wrote:
    - Not 100% sure about this, but Enda Kenny may replace Seamus Pattison as the 'Father of the House' - the longest serving TD - first elected in 1975.
    Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. sure he's only a young 'un (at 56).

Zaphod wrote:
    - As well as the Lenihans, 3 siblings from the Kitt family elected for FF and, of course, the two Aherns.
    3 Aherns? Noel (Dub NW), Bertie (Dub C) and Dermot (Louth).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Dermot is not related to the other two.

The 'third brother' is a Dublin City Councillor - Maurice Ahern.

Zaphod wrote:
    Dermot is not a relative.
    Ah, I thought he was.

You should be able to check the father of the house here: http://oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=30&disp=mem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I think Kathleen Lynch and Ciaran Lynch are sister and brother, but can't be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Interesting post, makes you wonder how many of the elderly tds will last the five years and what this means for any government sitting should a by election be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Interesting post, makes you wonder how many of the elderly tds will last the five years and what this means for any government sitting should a by election be called.

Unless it is in a very strong FF area they would be in trouble if they lost any of their TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Another "auld dog" is Michael "my election photo is 12 years old" Woods at a spritely 72 !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I think Kathleen Lynch and Ciaran Lynch are sister and brother, but can't be sure.

aunt and nephew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

69,74 and 76 ,that is taking the piss .
    Absolutely ludicrous that anyone over the age of 65 should be elected as they will be 70 plus when the term ends.
    Mandatory retirement for nearly all state jobs is 65 ,yet TD's seem to be a law unto themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

69,74 and 76 ,that is taking the piss .
    Absolutely ludicrous that anyone over the age of 65 should be elected as they will be 70 plus when the term ends.
    Mandatory retirement for nearly all state jobs is 65 ,yet TD's seem to be a law unto themselves.
    While I take your point, there are an awful lot of voters over the age of 65 who would argue that they have the right to have representatives of their own age group, who (supposedly) understand their issues.

And having encountered Mary O'Rourke recently ... past it she definitely is not, as I guess her election campaign and victory demonstrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

While I take your point, there are an awful lot of voters over the age of 65 who would argue that they have the right to have representatives of their own age group, who (supposedly) understand their issues.

So, where's all the 20-something TDs? :)

Slow coach wrote:
    So, where's all the 20-something TDs? :)
    Oh, I totally agree. I think some younger TDs in the Dail would be a very good thing, and it would be especially good if they weren't just clones from the old political dynasties.

But first they have to
    (a) offer themselves for election, and
    (b) we have to actually vote them in.

There is no legal bar to younger TDs (at least over 21 - I think?) whereas I understood the poster to be suggesting that those over 65 should be disbarred from election.

Another "auld dog" is Michael "my election photo is 12 years old" Woods at a spritely 72 !
    And sure doesn't he have a great tan! (spoke to him briefly on Friday - it was a bit hit or miss for a while, but it was Brady that lost out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What would 20-something TDs give us? Thier vast knowledge of life the universe and everything or merely a lot of shouty frenzy?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

They are in-laws,Kathleen Barry married to Ciarans brother

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

mike65 wrote:
    What would 20-something TDs give us? Thier vast knowledge of life the universe and everything or merely a lot of shouty frenzy?

Mike.
    You don't necessarily have to have life experience to have a bit of general cop on, common sense and management skills (some people are just born with em) - yeh old codger ;)

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    A bit of idealism, maybe? At the very least some sense of what issues actually affect their peers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement