Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So should Irish be mandatory for the LC?

Options
  • 27-05-2007 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭

I'd just like to see how the numbers add up.

Should Irish be mandatory for the Leaving Certificate? 29 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    cmb.BlackjackJC 2K3CorruptedmoralsRozabeezCraniaEamonnKeanesdanseotolosencGaryORGretchenWienersDemocAnarchisJSK 252Haven't a ClueDermot2468whassupp2CosaFadaradioactivemanInsect Overlordóbriain1988 29 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Definitely not,

For one, it is not taught correctly in order for us to gain fluency. We've all done it for 12 off years yet VERY few of us are fluent. If it was taught like the Euro Languages are taught then we would all be very good at it. Well, the majority anyway. If they are going to keep the same old, ancient Irish methods of teaching then make it optional for LC, compulsory for JC.

It is my weakest subject by far and I don't see why I should suffer with a subject which won't aid me outside of school life and will drag my LC results down.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

No
    It should be but they definitely need to change the methods of teaching and should offer bonus marks like they do for higher level maths. I'll send my children to gaelscoileanna for their own good, it's the only way you can compete for points against people from other countries now since they pretty much have an A in the bag is they do something like Dutch or Russian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Timans wrote:
    Definitely not,

For one, it is not taught correctly in order for us to gain fluency. We've all done it for 12 off years yet VERY few of us are fluent. If it was taught like the Euro Languages are taught then we would all be very good at it. Well, the majority anyway. If they are going to keep the same old, ancient Irish methods of teaching then make it optional for LC, compulsory for JC.

It is my weakest subject by far and I don't see why I should suffer with a subject which won't aid me outside of school life and will drag my LC results down.
    have to agree with EVERYTHING there, everyone doing a europeean language is fairly fluent by jc, while so many jc students cant say please or thank you in irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

No
    It should be but they definitely need to change the methods of teaching and should offer bonus marks like they do for higher level maths. I'll send my children to gaelscoileanna for their own good, it's the only way you can compete for points against people from other countries now since they pretty much have an A in the bag is they do something like Dutch or Russian.

I agree, but the only way I can see the methods of teaching changing is if teachers of Irish refuse to speak English to their class, but there'd be a problem with that as an awful lot of students may just get lazy and drop their level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

What bonus points for honours maths? Only UL does that. Also the introduction of bonus points systems will lead only to disasters- crys of discrimination from those studying the perceived weaker subjects. Don't get me wrong though- if they want to give me 400 points for an A1 in maths and physics- go ahead!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

no

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

No, if they change the way its taught in schools Id reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

No
    change the lc syllabus completely and keep it mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No
    Definitely should be compulsary. Where's the harm? Although, I do agree that the LC syllabus needs changing

Timmywex, most JC European language student are fluent after three years? Bollox. I did French immersion in France up till Xmas of TY, and it took me a good 6 weeks to learn there was a Subjunctive tense, and another 4 till I could try to listen to casual convos. And I got an A in JC Honours!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

You do know there's another huge thread on this already?

Maybe you could ask the OP or Mod to put a poll in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

that scourge of a language should not be mandatory for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

No
    md99 wrote:
    that scourge of a language should not be mandatory for anything
    lol, scourge.

How do you rate one language against another?

Irish has a nice, poetic feel to it IMO.

The poll is pretty close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

No
    It seems people who haven't been interested or bothered putting in the same effort they would for a European language have something against Irish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No
    The problem with the Irish language is that too many children go into primary school thinking "Oh no, now I have to learn stupid Irish and it's really really hard and I don't want to." There's an inherited hatred of it because be people see Irish as a school subject rather than the beautiful language it really is. When the reluctance is there from such a young age it creates a barrier which negates the learning of the language.

When you add in that so few teenagers have any appreciation for expressive arts such as poetry and prose, the whole of Paper 2 becomes a nightmare. Stair na Litríochta warrants far too much effort for the miniscule rewards it receives in the exam.

The Scrúdú Béil is also dreaded. We learn off enough necessary vocabulary to pass it, with some nice phrases thrown in for good measure. How many 6th Year students (besides me :) ) can actually think in Irish, express their own opinions and engage in a full conversation as Gaeilge? Very few. Instead it's all just m'Áit Chónaithe, Tionchar na Meáin Chumarsáide and a few words about Caitheamh Aimsirthe.

The same can be said for the essay in Paper 1. Students go to the effort of learning off by heart some spiel about Slad ar na Bóithre instead of developing the ability to write what they really feel.

In my opinion it's not the curriculum or the status of the subject that need changing, it's the general mentality of the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

JC 2K3 wrote:
    lol, scourge.

How do you rate one language against another?

Irish has a nice, poetic feel to it IMO.

I rate them by how well I'm able to speak/learn them lol, Irish is okay but it's the way its thought and basically the huge difference from English (unlike say French) which turns me off it... and I think it just has such an ugly, rigid sound to it. ach nach mbeadh bhuachail chailín.... French on the other hand has such a lyrical, natural feel, I mean just listen to a conversation, watch La Haine or Amélie... so foul and fair a language I have not seen...

except for the foul part..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

No
    Where we are there's daggers in mens smiles...

No
    md99 wrote:
    I rate them by how well I'm able to speak/learn them lol, Irish is okay but it's the way its thought and basically the huge difference from English (unlike say French) which turns me off it... and I think it just has such an ugly, rigid sound to it. ach nach mbeadh bhuachail chailín.... French on the other hand has such a lyrical, natural feel, I mean just listen to a conversation, watch La Haine or Amélie... so foul and fair a language I have not seen...

except for the foul part..
    I liked Amélie.

And lol, you picked some rather exeptionally harsh sounding words to string together there :p Although the "bh" in bhuachaill and the "ch" in chailín aren't really harsh....

You're probably not used to hearing Irish spoken naturally if you think it's harsh sounding. It's nowhere near say German in that respect :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

No
    If people were given the choice, most people would say no that aren't in an Irish speaking area or weren't brought up in an Irish school. The levels would just droop down. Sure the same would probably happen in maths, the other 40000 would not do it probably. It's an Unrealistic Move, we should have some education in Irish, if we can study the Irish Political History, then I'm sure that Irish can be learned as well.

The Irish language is uglier than German in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No
    To quote a poem for the course:

"Níl aon ní, aon ní a stór,
    Níos suibhní ná buicéad stáin na spéire,
    Ag silleadh solais ar Inis Bó Finne"

Ugly? Nahhhh

No
    Nehpets wrote:
    It really doesn't help the arguments of those against it being mandatory if it turns out they're anti-Irish bigots, against the language itself, not simply the fact it's compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

There are clear arguments for and against.

People say the language would be lost without it being compulsory in schools. And that "tír gan teanga....".

On the other hand, why should people be forced to study a subject that they hate studying so much.

I'm gonna say no it shouldn't be forced upon somebody. Surely there should be an element of choice. I mean in reality, the minority of people who like the language and would chose it if it were optional are going to be the only people who speak it at all later in life. So either way there'll be the same number who'll keep their gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

JC 2K3 wrote:
    It really doesn't help the arguments of those against it being mandatory if it turns out they're anti-Irish bigots, against the language itself, not simply the fact it's compulsory.
    But hes not wrong.German is a much nicer langauge than Irish.German just rolls off the tongue.....Irish doesn't.

No
    What bollocks....

How would you know anyway? How many fluent speakers have you heard speak?

Just because you disagree with me doesn't make me an anti-Irish bigot and I'm certainly not against the language itself. I don't want to learn it. I'd love if I had gone to a gaelscoil and was fluent now. But I don't have the time really now and I'm not going to make time, and since I have other subjects, it is annoying that I have to learn it. I prefer german. I used to hate it and found it difficult (start of 6th year), but I started getting grinds (finished today! whoo) and now I actually really like german. I'd even consider going to germany for a year or whatever to actually learn to talk it properly!

Is there gaeltachts for older people btw?

Anyway, that is pretty irrelevant. My point is, if I came across as anti-the language I didn't mean to.

EDIT: Well listening to german radio and german teachers (one is also my Irish teacher) I do think it sounds nicer. Some Irish dialects can sound nicer than others though. I probably wouldn't be able to tell which is which. I had a donegal man for my oral and he didn't seem too bad surprisingly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

whats with the poll?? it must be people outta school doing it!! they want us to suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pilchard

No
    An Fhile wrote:
    The problem with the Irish language is that too many children go into primary school thinking "Oh no, now I have to learn stupid Irish and it's really really hard and I don't want to." There's an inherited hatred of it because be people see Irish as a school subject rather than the beautiful language it really is. When the reluctance is there from such a young age it creates a barrier which negates the learning of the language.
    In my opinion it's not the curriculum or the status of the subject that need changing, it's the general mentality of the public.

I totally agree. when my siblings started school they were really excited about doing irish, and despite not starting to learn it till they were 11 they are now top of their classes... When they reached secondary school they questioned their love of the language because others did not 'like' it.

If children were taught to love the language from a younger age and had the same excitement as my brothers and sisters then maybe there would be a far greater love for and respect for the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

No
    Nehpets wrote:

Absolute Crap! You obviously have no fluency or understanding of the language if you feel the need to make ridiculous claims like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

No
    fantacan wrote:
    Absolute Crap! You obviously have no fluency or understanding of the language if you feel the need to make ridiculous claims like that!

Notice its his opinion

I distinctly remember you championing the cause of compulsory Irish as a debt of gratitude to those who died in the 1916 rising. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't democracy and freedom of speech one of their fundamental aims also? He's entitled to his opinion, you're entitled to yours.

Advertisement