Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So should Irish be mandatory for the LC?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fantacan

No
    Yes i said it was something to be proud of because Irish men died for it.

Remind me which soldiers died in an attempt to spread the German language? Im just saying be proud of what you have and don't wish the death of something that is part of your identity that you or your people can never get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

No
    fantacan wrote:
    Remind me which soldiers died in an attempt to spread the German language?

Let's not go there :rolleyes:

Less of the militantism, you spoil your credibility that way.

No
    Was just putting both languages in comparison in relation to who died for them since someone brought it up with me. Didnt mean to cause offence (or spark an international crisis) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

JC 2K3 wrote:
    What bollocks....

How would you know anyway? How many fluent speakers have you heard speak?
    Well I actually know quite a few, seeing as how there are several gaeltacht areas not that far from me.I also know one fluent german speaker, and I do German at school, and yes it is a far nicer sounding language than Irish.

And also who the **** cares how many Irish or German people died for their language?What the **** does that have to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I liked Amélie.

And lol, you picked some rather exeptionally harsh sounding words to string together there :p Although the "bh" in bhuachaill and the "ch" in chailín aren't really harsh....

You're probably not used to hearing Irish spoken naturally if you think it's harsh sounding. It's nowhere near say German in that respect :p

German is a beautiful language. And considering english is germanic we should not really slag off the founding language of our own. German has a strictly logical nature missing from most languages, I think of the adjectial endings and the use of prepositions to determine cases, in that respect it is similar to Latin. Vergessen Sie nicht, bitte, alle wir sprechen hoch Deutsch. :D

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote:
    Vergessen Sie nicht, bitte, alle wir sprechen hoch Deutsch. :D
    You not forget, we all speak high german?What?

No
    We can argue all night about which language is nicer sounding (we can all have our own views) That doesn't change the matter that we were born into a country where our original language was Irish. If you wish German was your language then just embrace their culture and forget yours.
    There's plenty who'd love to forget their Irish culture. That's their choice if they want to spend life in the monotonous world of American culture with no idea who they are it's their problem. At least I'll value my roots.

fantacan wrote:
    we were born into a country where our original language was Irish.
    No we weren't......I was born in England.Seriously though no-one what the original language is doesn't matter.What matters is that the language of the country now is English, and it has been like that for the past 250+ years.And its not likely thats going to change anytime soon (if ever).

I didn't disagree that Irish is a beautiful sounding language. And to claim the germans are more americanised then the Irish is ridiculous. Hark 'closer to Boston then Berlin' Hark

Sorry I completely fecked that up, havent slept too much recently, should have put it i the imperetive. High german is the literary german we are taught in school. Wir sprechen hoch deutsch.

• Advertisement

dan719 wrote:
    Sorry I completely fecked that up, havent slept too much recently.
    Hehehe.Don't worry about it.I know the feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

No
    Nehpets wrote:
    Just because you disagree with me doesn't make me an anti-Irish bigot and I'm certainly not against the language itself. I don't want to learn it. I'd love if I had gone to a gaelscoil and was fluent now. But I don't have the time really now and I'm not going to make time, and since I have other subjects, it is annoying that I have to learn it. I prefer german. I used to hate it and found it difficult (start of 6th year), but I started getting grinds (finished today! whoo) and now I actually really like german. I'd even consider going to germany for a year or whatever to actually learn to talk it properly!

Is there gaeltachts for older people btw?

Anyway, that is pretty irrelevant. My point is, if I came across as anti-the language I didn't mean to.

EDIT: Well listening to german radio and german teachers (one is also my Irish teacher) I do think it sounds nicer. Some Irish dialects can sound nicer than others though. I probably wouldn't be able to tell which is which. I had a donegal man for my oral and he didn't seem too bad surprisingly
    mmk, let's move away from how "ugly" it sounds. My comparitive remark about German was meant to be light hearted and was related to harshness of sounds rather than "ugliness".

Gaeltachts are regions where Irish is widely spoken. They are open to all ages.
    dan719 wrote:
    German is a beautiful language. And considering english is germanic we should not really slag off the founding language of our own. German has a strictly logical nature missing from most languages, I think of the adjectial endings and the use of prepositions to determine cases, in that respect it is similar to Latin. Vergessen Sie nicht, bitte, alle wir sprechen hoch Deutsch. :D
    No one's slagging off anything.

Irish has a logical nature also, moreso than English, seen for example in it's changes to words in the genetive and dative cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Gaeltachts are regions where Irish is widely spoken. They are open to all ages.

doh, stupid question :p ta bron orm ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

No
    To add insult to injury, you said "Is there Gaeltachts...."

But it's late, maithím duit. :p

Advertisement