Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend a first car

Options
  • 27-05-2007 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying myself a car. Im 18 and have passed my driving test. My knowledge of the car market isnt great and Im looking for a car in or around E3000. Im not sure were to look, and style would be a factor for me. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think you need to factor in what you can afford to spend on insurance before deciding on what car to buy.

Insurance for an 18 year old male will not be cheap. Something small like a Fiesta or Corsa to start off with, build up your NCB, save up and then buy something a bit nicer.

if insurance is not a problem for you then there are plenty of choices out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭boomboombazza

insurance will be fairly mental @18 but ya have to start some where.i would go for a 1 litre.something like a peugeot 206 is quite stylish for a youg lad and it will be cheap to insure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I would buy a polo.I think they are really reliable and good on petrol and cheap to run and insure

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Polo 1.0 litres tend to be acceptable as first bloke wheels, despite being poorly equipped and very underpowered (45bhp). they (95-97 models) also don't qualify for the 151 euro road tax as they are taxed as 1.1. You could try the Seat Ibiza too, a little bigger but mechanically similar to the Polo. tend to be a little cheaper too.

Advertisement