Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First ever build.

Options
  • 27-05-2007 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hey people,
    Firstly I understand that these threads pop up all the time so any advice is much greatly appreciated.

I have decided that I am going to attempt my first ever build this summer.
    I have read various online tutorials and am going to dismantle an old PC later today or tommorrow just to try and identify the different parts etc.

Anyway I'm looking for a bit of advice.
    Basically the main use of the new computer would be For mutitabling online poker, for doing college work next year, basic word processing stuff, spreadsheets browsing the net etc. Also although I am by no means a hardcore gamer I am addicted to Football Manager, so ideally I would like a system where I could be playing Football Manager on one screen and browsing the net or doing some work on the other screen.
    Also I would hope the computer could act as a media station of sorts, ie. decent sound quality etc.
    The system will probably be left on for long periods of the day running a few different poker sites and a few other programs for datamining (pokertracker etc, none require heavy processing power) Although noise reduction isnt an absolute neccessity it would obviously be a preference to have a quieter machine as it will be in the room where I sleep.
    I understand that what I am desiring is a multitasking monster of a machine and so far I am presuming that I will need at least the following to succeed in my task.
    On the financing side of things, I am looking to complete the build withing my budget of about €1600-1800 although the cheaper the better.
    As well as the obvious things such as philips screwdriver, static wrist strap
    and screwtaker outer thing, I still havent decided on some of the main componants such as motherboards, graphics card, video card, power supply and cooling systems (although I was looking into watercooling systems as I know that multitasking like I want to do will put strain on the system.)
    Anyway so far I have almost set my mind on the following:

Two monitors - Samsung 204B X 2 €400 X 2 = €800 (komplett.ie) or
    1 Philips 20.1" LCD 200S4SS Monitor which is available on sale on komplett for €270 http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320802

Processor: http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VJTvJ0dQyfS6j/1/articledetail.jsp?aid=8790&agid=398 quad core (Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield) €472

Mouse = wireless logitech MX laser 1000, have already.

I also have a 250GB Western Digital external Hard drive that I will look to use so I suppose the hard drive on the system doesnt have to be any bigger then 250gb, (Is this stupid?)

A cd/dvd rewriter is also a requirement.

Am I going in way above my head considering its only my first build? I was planning on just buying a new computer but thought this way would be more fun...

I will continue to look into the different various parts and will setup a blog/photo diary, if I decide to go ahead with this project.

If people could reccommend what other component products to go for it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Your starting off right by doing lots of research and trying it with old pcs 1st. Building a computer isn't hard once you know what your doing really just read loads of stuff!

I recently built my 1st one and had no problems! As for what you need one for em I dont play any football manager games nor poker.. But! You would be looking for a nice big hard drive anyway if your going to be storing alot music movies pictures for a media station or if not the 250GB will do! For decent sound quality just get a creative X-Fi sound card and a decent set of speakers and you will be set!

The quad core might be a bit much but if your going be running alot of programs at once it should be ok!

Video card you wont need really a cheap one that has DVI connections on it for dual monitors anyway!

DVD/WRITER get one for about 30 quid of komplett.ie

You should get some decent cooling if your going be leaving it on for long periods! A CPU Fan and some silent fans..

Case is really a matte of personal taste! The Antec P180 here Should suit your needs looks nice and has good cooling... I was going to get it but got Antec 900 instead cause I wanted a side window :D

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=322567

Hope this helps

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Cheers for that DeafVision. With regards to usb ports whats the deal with that, I would like as many as possible anyone have any opinions....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Firstly your described use by no means requires a multitasking "Monster". All the programmes you've detailed will need very little processing power. That said your budget will allow for your Quad Core easily so why not, although a higher clocked dual core would do the same job a little faster for less. The monitors you've described are very high end and a waste for what you want. Go for some E200 models. A p180 is a lovely case i have one but it's very large and quite heavy. Maybe p150 would do.
    Your machine wont be getting as hot as you seem to think stock cooling will do you fine. Expensive coolers are really only needed for overclocking.

Re: usb, intel p965 chipsets support up to 10 usb ports. There will be six on the back of the board any way with expansion for the other four on the board for your case. Try a gigabyte p965 board.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Clik

From my experience what really makes building your own a non-runners is the cost of software not hardware. OEM software is a fraction of the cost of buying yourself. For instance, you haven't mentioned the cost of an operating system.

Cheers for the advice happygandalf.

I have decided for the above monitors because it is neccessary for them to be at least 1600X1200 res in order to fit the required number of poker tables on the screen.
    As for the multitasking monster comment, im not sure if you play Football manager or anything like that, but it requires a lot of processing power to run at any speed at all, but I think you might be right in saying go for a higher clocked dual core.

• Advertisement

OS can be bought OEM price from the same place you buy all the parts. Trust me man football manager is not as big a deal as you think. Any Core2 processor will run it without even noticing it.
    What kind of machine are you using now, spec wise?
    Also what exactly is the required amount of tables?

I have gonna over the monitor situation with online poker players and they have all said that 1600 X 1200 is the minimum needed to have four tables on screen with no overlap.
    At the moment I am using a laptop and I realise its low speced so I will probably go with a dualcore procesor.

What poker you playing. I've played four tables on a 19" @ 1280x1024 with no overlap on Partypoker. Admittedly they were a little squashed but they fit. So i'd consider that the "minimum" . So a 20" @ 1400x1050 would be comfortable.
    Look man i'm not tryin to put you off it i mean if you've got the money go for it. But i'm just makin sure you know that your spending E400 on something you dont nessacarily "need" and you could get for half the price. the samsung 203b has a res of 1400x1050 and only costs E228. I'm just trying to save you money.
    Also the 204b the one you want is on www.hardwareversand.de for E343.

Yes most poker software you can fit four tables comfortably with that res, ipoker network for example requires 1600 X 1200 for four tabling with no overlap.
    I have asked a few of the regs on the poker forum about this and they have all said that 1600 X 1200 is the way to go.

Hey, well i've attached my suggested build. It's well within budget and includes a decent graphics card speakers keyboard and mouse. Postage will be arround E30 from www.hardwareversand.de
    The mobo has onboard sound which will do you great but you can get an x-fi if you really want. And if you decide you can afford it the quad would be an extra 100.
    Edit i forgot a dvd drive but 30-40 will cover that http://www3.hardwareversand.de/8VUvqKapKd1U0z/2/articledetail.jsp?aid=7928&agid=282

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ram is getting sooooo cheap

Aslo i think the OP said he already has the mouse.

Yes I already have the mouse which happygandalf reccommended.

yeah there is even cheaper available there. The mouse i suggested isn't wireless though personally i prefer wired no chance of it runnin out or interference. Also there are better motherboards aroun the same price out there but that build is a good guide ,IMHO lol

I understand where you are coming from gandalf, i still have a usb mouse as a spare if anything were to happen.

Anyway I decided as there was only one left I decided to place my order on the philips monitor which is on sale for €270, I can still cancel the order if anyone thinks this is a bad monitor.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=320802

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

for a extra 80€ you could have a 22" dell widescreen.

I've been told by other poker players who multitable online that widescreen monitors is not the way to go, although with €80 off that looks like a good monitor, if only it had 1600 X1200 res....

well it's pretty ugly for one and it's response time isn't great at 20ms. i think it's a pretty old monitor the panel is probably crap. The samsungs your lookin at are much much better monitors and if you're set on gettin a pair of monitors you'll regret not gettin matching ones. The Samsungs are well worth the extra 70.

I suppose you are right happy gandalf, with that german site do you pay delivery per order or is it per product?

per order, dont think anyone charges per item per say. Any way the german site charges a flat rate of e20 then adds a logistic cost. For my monitor the logistic cost came to about 1 euro so it aint bad. so that was 21 total. For the entire build i suggested to you the postage was 30 euro in total. So the postage will not catch you out. I take it your trying to get your hands on a monitor first to tide you over til you get the rest?

Yes thats precisely it, I probably wont be starting the build until July when I get paid for Junes month of work...
    So I was thinking of getting 1 monitor now to help with my poker income for the time being.

• Advertisement

Well just so you know you have to pay hardwareversand by bank transfer, dont let this put you off though. I'd still go with them and get the samsung in the long run you'll be happier you really will kick yourself if you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

FM2007 isn't really a processing hog, its a memory hog. As long as you have 2GB of RAM you will be fine.

I run it on my laptop (Yonah T2300E 1.66GHz) more than my desktop (Conroe E6600 2.4GHz) and notice little performance variation. A quad core fir your purposes seems a little wasteful, a decent dual core will suit you fine.

As mentioned, if you are considering Vista/XP and Office, then thats another chunk of change.

You are probably better off buying a dell with a 2007WFP and adding on another montor, you will save more.

If your buying from hardwareversand you can buy an oem ultimate vista for E150. home premium is around 100. So it's not that bad. Also his required res is 1600x1200, has already been mentioned and widescreens are out too. never mind the fact that dells monitors are vastly overpriced and better spec can be bought elswhere for a lot less. €378 for a widescreen 20" is awful. A good 22" can be bought for less than €300

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is the drive you have & intend to use on the new system an IDE or a SATA?

Serial ATA is faster & all new boards have the connectors now.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

A good 22" can be bought for less than €300

I am in the market for such a deal, please point me in the right direction.

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    I am in the market for such a deal, please point me in the right direction.

www.hardwareversand.de

to be exact
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/6V3E5SnKVH7p6V/3/articlelist.jsp?agid=603&profil.smal=2

Or if you know what you're lookin for you could try www.idealo.de it's a pricerunner type search engine

Advertisement