Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!-Need people views on my Comparative answer-Comments and tips be great help

Options
  • 27-05-2007 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

What i have written so far..Can you please give your opinon on it..Its our summer tests it for which is why its only on two texts as we havent done our play yet..Im kinda unsure about how u keep switching back after you have compaired to a part of the two texts..do i say like ive said or...any help be great...How do i end it aswell.im unsure about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

COMPARATIVE STUDY-WUTHERING HEIGHTS/MY LEFT FOOT

The texts I have studied are "Wuthering Heights"(WH) by Emily Bronte and My Left Foot (MLF) directed by Jim Sheridon, in these two texts we see very strained father-son relationship. Our lives revolve round interaction and commucation.In anyone’s life, I believe it’s a person’s relationship with others that largely determine their actions and shape their thoughts. I choose the theme of relationships because its implications are boundless

In the two texts the gap between father and son is immediately apparent. In MLF Paddy initially seems to reject Christy because of the young boy’s cerebral palsy. He is an aggressive and sometimes violent man who never openly expresses his feelings for his son. We see Ms. Brown trying to develop the father –son relationship saying “Paddy say goodbye to Christy” At this point there is no hope for the father-son relationship.

In WH a very different moment than in MLF but illustrates a similar theme. Initally Hindley is an affectionate man who loves his son. We hope he will be a loving father just like his own father was. Here we see hope between the father and son and we a difference here in comparison to MLF where there was no hope of a loving relationship.

As Christy gets older in MLF Paddy appears to get used to the situation. We see him outside and see him pushing Christy around in his new chart.We see the development of the relationship and a hint of love as the father and son begin to bond.. On a visit to the pub paddy is asked bout Christy and will he go to a home. Paddy's replies “No son of mine will go in a home”. We see a fathers love for his son although he never directly expresses this love.

We now see a change in the relationship in WH as the death of Frances (Hindley’s wife) has drastic consequences on the father-son relationship. We see it fall apart as Hindley cannot cope with the loss becomes a alcoholic, turns his back on Hareton, neglects him and shows no love or affection towards him. There is a loss of hope and a breakdown in the relationship.

The relationship develops further when we see Paddy in a sense of Pride and shock in the scene where Christy picks up a piece of chalk and writes the word “mother”. Paddy takes Christy down to the pub and introduces him to the pub saying “This is Christy Brown! My son! Genius!” Christy has now proved himself to his father who sees him in a different light. He is more loving, understanding, and respectful, the relationship is full of hope..

Again we see a very different moment in WH as the relationship between father-son breaks down even further when Catherine marries Edgar Linton and she and Nelly move to Thrustcross Grange. Hindley now no longer has the love, help and support from Nelly and he cannot give his time to Hareton. Their relationship disintegrates. There is no love hope and nearly a complete breakdown in the relationship

A Crisis develops in MLF as Christy’s father loses his job. The family eats porridge for breakfast, dinner, supper. During one very tense scene where the family are yet again having their porridge, Tom (Christy’s Brother) refuses to eat the food. Christy gets involved by mumbing “He doesn’t have to eat it if he doesn’t want it” . The scene is tense and Christy’s father gets very annoyed attempts to hit Christy. This shows a brief breakdown in the relationship as we see his father’s anger and frustration coming to the surface

This moment in MLF is matched by one in WH where Hindley in a state of rage and sadness no longer wants to be a father to Hareton. He feels he cannot cope attempts to throw him over the banister of the stairs. Thankfully Heathcliff breaks Harleton’s fall. This shows the frustration of Hindley. Another Crisis occurs when Heathcliff moves back into W.H. Hindley is still unable to control his grief and turns to gambling and alcohol. He borrows money from Heathcliff falling deeper and deeper into debt. We see a similarity here as relationships in both texts breakdown .While the theme occurs in MLF it is conveyed more intensely in WH in this scene.

We see a complete change again in MLF in a scene where paddy helps build a room for Christy. Shows respect, love and understanding for his son. Relationship seems to have improved. Family have weathered the storm of poverty and loss of paddy’s job as well as Christy depression. We see the family are now close and have formed a tight family bond

However in WH there is a complete difference in the two texts with Heathcliff taking over as the father figure to Hareton. Heathcliff and Hindley get involved in heated argument and Hareton ends up taking Heathcliff’s side. It is a complete breakdown in the father-son relationship with no hope of love completely different to the scenes in MLF where the bond of the father and son has never been stronger.

Resolution

A huge scene in MLF where Paddy dies suddenly. It is a huge blow to the family. Christy tries to open the kitchen door and ends up lying beside his father. It’s the closest they have ever got. After the funeral the family is in the pub with Christy’s Mother paying of his tab. A man makes a comment bout Christy’s father. Christy defends him showing how close the father son have become and how much the relationship has developed but is cut short by the death preventing further development.

In WH Hindley becomes isolated by Heathcliff and hearton . Heathcliff takes Hareton away from his education and debases him as Hindley did to him. On Heathcliff deathbed he sees himself in Hareton Catherine in Cathy. Come full circle. The two texts here are linked by similar series of images as death occurs and both relationships are broken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It is often said that humans are social creatures, that despite Paul Simon’s claim that he ‘was a rock, an island’ it is relationships that define what we are, it is impossible for us to overstate the importance of our formative relationships on our later years. This is true of the two texts I have studied………

(You have to introduce your characters) MLF is the story of Christy Brown, born with cerebral palsy , he is immediately shunted by his father. Yet this is not due to malice but rather misunderstanding- indeed immediately Paddy stands up for his son, in response to the barman’s question ‘Will you put him in a home Paddy’ he states in no uncertain terms ‘No son of mine will go into a home’. This relationship develops throughout the text, Paddy fails to recognise Christy’s prodigious skill and his sure ‘there is nothing there’ yet continues to work hard – the building of the new room illustrates this. After the father’s death his loyalty is repaid. Christy attacks the man who called Paddy’s character into question…

I don’t think theme or issue is a great choice, and should you not have done three texts?
    Sorry have only looked at part of this, do not really have time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

great thanks for that.Well this is for my 5th year summer exam so we have only studdied Theme or Issue and have only done My Left Foot and Wuthering Heights and arent doing Philadelphia, Here I Come till next year..

Advertisement