Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny looking to form Government

Options

Comments

bemmet wrote:
    kenny will stroll into government in 2012 ..........you cannot be serious !!!!!!!!!!!!

By the time of the next election -
    he will be
    -by far the longest serving member of the dail..
    -five years longer bereft of any meaningful ministerial experience..
    -the media will hardly be as friendly to him again (e.g. majority of media called the debate a draw whereas the vast majority of the public polled clearly saw only one winner -ps not from mayo!)
    -still have the same inept ability to demonstate mastery of figures or anything above a preplanted soundbite pattern
    -Leading a party who has not tasted victory for a generation

And on top of all that ,he would be entering a 2012 election promising the electorate a vigorous leadership when the truth would be that he would be drawing the old age pension before his term was up !

Come on be serious........

I find it incredible that people consider lack of ministerial experience a barrier to entering government. This is a democracy not a one party government. Would people prefer a dynasty of one party continuing ad nausem?

Utter rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭burnedfaceman

ronoc wrote:
    I find it incredible that people consider lack of ministerial experience a barrier to entering government. This is a democracy not a one party government. Would people prefer a dynasty of one party continuing ad nausem?

Utter rubbish.

i agree its complete BS spun by FF in an attempt to portray everyone else as incapable of doing as great a job as them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ronoc wrote:
    I'm now thinking he is trying to keep labour on board.

FF + PD + IND won't last the 5 years.

Enda is playing his hand very well

Well considering it did in the first term, I think you're entirely wrong.

Boston wrote:

3 words.

Beverly Cooper Flynn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I wonder if FF will take the age factor into account, along with the possible Beverly "problem"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

daveirl wrote:
    No, but they did canvess for green preferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's not a chance in hell of it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I can't see it happening, but I think for a stable government FF need the Greens or Labour, relying on independents is not going to be good for the state unless of course your constituency has elected one of those independents because they will get a lot in return for their support, Jackie Healy Rae has a long list remember :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Boston wrote:

Hey yeah but one of those independents is about to be thrown out of the Dail, not even the corrupt Fianna Fail can stop that. Which means that basically it is a hung dail. I can't wait to see Eoghan Harris then, and Willie O'Dea. I wonder what his headline will be then?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dan719 wrote:
    Which means that basically it is a hung dail.

It's just a tad early to be calling that one. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

dan719 wrote:
    Hey yeah but one of those independents is about to be thrown out of the Dail, not even the corrupt Fianna Fail can stop that. Which means that basically it is a hung dail. I can't wait to see Eoghan Harris then, and Willie O'Dea. I wonder what his headline will be then?:p

Oh Yeah? There was a time a number of years ago when a TD was threatened with bankruptcy. The then minority FF govt needed his support - badly. Guess what? The debt was mysteriously paid. No bankruptcy. No loss of seat.
    A Fine Gael led coalition cannot put together a working majority without Sinn Fein. What are the chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If a €2M+ debt disappears that fast it will have the makings of another tribunal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Not only can I see it not happening, I hope it wont happen(that there will be an all colours of the rainbow government with FG, Lab,GP, PD and Indys). What it does do and very cleverly of Enda is to remind Lab and the Greens that he asked FG people to transfer to both parties, and will cause some s**t stirring for everyone but Fine Gael and Sinn Féin(he said he would not talk to them more than once). It will put the frightners on Fianna Fáil, and crucially reminds everyone that the alternative if you include the Greens was only 3 seats behind the outgoing Government. While I hope it never happens, I think Enda is dead right to cause the s**t stirring thats going on at present, he has nothing to lose by saying it, everything to lose by implementing it, plus its giving Fine Gael free publicity. Its also presumably to remind party members(I am not a member by the way) of how well FG did and how much of an effort they put in over the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

bemmet wrote:
    kenny will stroll into government in 2012 ..........you cannot be serious !!!!!!!!!!!!

By the time of the next election -
    he will be
    -by far the longest serving member of the dail..
    -five years longer bereft of any meaningful ministerial experience..
    -the media will hardly be as friendly to him again (e.g. majority of media called the debate a draw whereas the vast majority of the public polled clearly saw only one winner -ps not from mayo!)
    -still have the same inept ability to demonstate mastery of figures or anything above a preplanted soundbite pattern
    -Leading a party who has not tasted victory for a generation

And on top of all that ,he would be entering a 2012 election promising the electorate a vigorous leadership when the truth would be that he would be drawing the old age pension before his term was up !

Come on be serious........
    :D Is that the best spin you can come out with at FF HQ?

Quite simple. FG have gained 18 seats from the depths of 5 years ago. In 2012 this country will almost certainly be in a very different and less positive economic climate. As seen on Thursday, too many voters vote with their pockets. When those pockets are empty you and I know the fickleness of the pocket voting percentage of the electorate will shine through again to the opposition's benefit. If FF go down and FG gain in percentages and seat the Soldiers of Destiny are burned toast for 31st Dáil and out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

FF HQ??
    No -merely one of the 41% + who saw the light last thursday.

And you have not answered one point made as to the irrationality of kennys continued leadership.

As for return from the depths- you still did not gain all of the losses back ,with every kind of wind at your back... you will never have that kind of biased support again.

You will no doubt lose a good few of those again next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

FF have 5 years to fix the a health system they could fix in the last 10 do you think they can achieve that?

ronoc wrote:

Utter rubbish.

I do not think it a barrier to entering government .
    You choose deliberately to misread my point .
    Lack of ministerial experience is however a serious issue when it comes to being Taoiseach .
    Do you really think we could have a leader of the country with no experience of the big ministries .The mandarins would eat him for breakfast!

And as for the other points i made in that paragraph- presume you agree with these as to your lack of comment?

GTC wrote:
    True stuff, Enda will not lead the party into the Dáil in 5 years time. But you can be sure that FF will not get back into government next time. The economy is about to see to that.

How can i or you be sure that FF wont get back in next time?
    I spent the last month in here reading how FF had not a chance of getting in this time.
    And as for the economy- must be a sad state where there are so many people in here who wish to see our economy turning for the worst in the hope it delivers FG to power.

For god sake will you all lose the hangups on FF .
    Be yourselves-- the only opposition cry ad nauseum is Vote for us because we are not FF .

Well with few exceptions over the last 40 years it has not worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bemmet wrote:
    How can i or you be sure that FF wont get back in next time?
    I spent the last month in here reading how FF had not a chance of getting in this time.
    And as for the economy- must be a sad state where there are so many people in here who wish to see our economy turning for the worst in the hope it delivers FG to power.

For god sake will you all lose the hangups on FF .
    Be yourselves-- the only opposition cry ad nauseum is Vote for us because we are not FF .

Well with few exceptions over the last 40 years it has not weorked.

They will need a "dolly mixture" to do it , even if it's forty shades of green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I think Enda is just trying to hang on to the idea that he could be the next leader. He's just trying to cushion the blow to his ego.

bemmet wrote:
    I do not think it a barrier to entering government .
    You choose deliberately to misread my point .
    Lack of ministerial experience is however a serious issue when it comes to being Taoiseach .
    Do you really think we could have a leader of the country with no experience of the big ministries .The mandarins would eat him for breakfast!

And as for the other points i made in that paragraph- presume you agree with these as to your lack of comment?
    Your view of politics is simplistic to say the least.

It would work like any other government works around the world that hasn't been in power. Kenny has been leader of the opposition for the last five years and before that was a TD.
    As a member of the opposition you make it your business to know the workings of government in order to provide a useful opposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

If its FF/PD/Independent it will save the PDs....something Bertie wouldn't mind at all.

I see....

Mary Harney - Minister for Health
    Noel Grealish - possible (but unlikely) junior minister
    McDowell - Seanad appointment (he's said before that he was quitting!)

That will allow McDowell to stay as PD leader

Independents - one of them as Ceann Comhairle - I'm betting Gregory or McGrath. Lowry and Flynn are too tainted and Healy-Rae isn't serious enough.

Greens are possibility too but this malarkey of Kenny pulling a coalition out of his ass is ridiculous!!

ronoc wrote:
    Your view of politics is simplistic to say the least.

It would work like any other government works around the world that hasn't been in power. Kenny has been leader of the opposition for the last five years and before that was a TD.
    As a member of the opposition you make it your business to know the workings of government in order to provide a useful opposition.

Oh Ronoc...it is only in your view that my view is simplistic.

I will say it again ,slowly for you .
    Now try and stay with this ....
    I am not talking in general about a government.... I am talking specifically about the leader of that governmnet ...AKA the taoiseach ... ok still with me?

My point is that the leader needs ministerial experience- of some consequence.

Maybe you could lend FF one or two on free transfer to build up that experience for the future ....
    Seems like the only way a FG shadow minister might get to move up to the big boys league.

bemmet wrote:
    Oh Ronoc...it is only in your view that my view is simplistic.

I will say it again ,slowly for you .
    Now try and stay with this ....
    I am not talking in general about a government.... I am talking specifically about the leader of that governmnet ...AKA the taoiseach ... ok still with me?

My point is that the leader needs ministerial experience- of some consequence.

Maybe you could lend FF one or two on free transfer to build up that experience for the future ....
    Seems like the only way a FG shadow minister might get to move up to the big boys league.

Oh the arrogance and smugness of Fianna failers knows no bounds.

You have been watching too much of Tony and Bills Bertie propaganda. The simple fact is the majority of the FG government haven’t had ministerial experience. That’s what happens when the Gombeenmen have been in power for 23 of the last 25 years.
    So yes there would be a slight learning curve for a new Taoiseach but that’s infinitely preferable to more FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Jo King wrote:
    Oh Yeah? There was a time a number of years ago when a TD was threatened with bankruptcy. The then minority FF govt needed his support - badly. Guess what? The debt was mysteriously paid. No bankruptcy. No loss of seat.
    A Fine Gael led coalition cannot put together a working majority without Sinn Fein. What are the chances?

And your bragging about that yes? And it is exactly that attitude that means we are festered with such useless corrupt politicians. You get the government you deserve.

is_that_so wrote:
    They will need a "dolly mixture" to do it , even if it's forty shades of green.

God thats original...
    Dermot Aherne ,he of the one in two who helped deflate the FG parachute candidate in Louth ,is the one you are qouting here.

he was referring to to the dolly mixture of FG ,Lab/DL/WP,Greens,PD,s and independents needed to give us Prince Enda .

ronoc wrote:
    Oh the arrogance and smugness of Fianna failers knows no bounds.

You have been watching too much of Tony and Bills Bertie propaganda. The simple fact is the majority of the FG government haven’t had ministerial experience. That’s what happens when the Gombeenmen have been in power for 23 of the last 25 years.
    So yes there would be a slight learning curve for a new Taoiseach but that’s infinitely preferable to more FF.

Ah sure you are right .My apologies.

Lets elect them ( FG) next time ,give them the economy of the country to run .
    Would be a good thing for them to cut their teeth on ,as it were .

A sort of experiment if you will .

And sure its only the economy .... as Fg kept telling us ,it was good despite the government for the last number of years.
    Sure a child could run it .
    In the words of Bonny Prince Enda - " Its harder leading the opposition than the government"..

Now with insight like that ...sure we would be laughing..

• Advertisement

bemmet wrote:
    Ah sure you are right .My apologies.

Lets elect them ( FG) next time ,give them the economy of the country to run .
    Would be a good thing for them to cut their teeth on ,as it were .

A sort of experiment if you will .

And sure its only the economy .... as Fg kept telling us ,it was good despite the government for the last number of years.
    Sure a child could run it .
    In the words of Bonny Prince Enda - " Its harder leading the opposition than the government"..

Now with insight like that ...sure we would be laughing..

With superlow interest rates we have no control over and low corporation tax that the last FG government introduced FF have got more credit than they deserve for the economy.
    They have even managed to dodge responsibilty for the cronic wastage that they have presided over.
    The last FG government handed FF the booming economy.

Advertisement