Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny looking to form Government

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

....CerebralCortex, I don't quite follow you (no offence meant). What do you mean by "Does he?"

Sorry, you know the way things sound better in your head. What I meant was Conor74 is pushing the righteousness of Bertie and his admin so why should JerkyBoy be looking foward to "grim years" if Conor74 and "the people" think Bertie is so great.
    I guess I was trying to illustrate that Conor74 seems like Berties promoter or pr guy redbull style.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sorry, you know the way things sound better in your head. What I meant was Conor74 is pushing the righteousness of Bertie and his admin so why should JerkyBoy be looking foward to "grim years" if Conor74 and "the people" think Bertie is so great.
    I guess I was trying to illustrate that Conor74 seems like Berties promoter or pr guy redbull style.

Leaving party affiliation aside does FG/Lab/Greens /PD's/how may of the independents they can muster seem a creditable alternative to even FF/Greens. I thought FG/Lab/greens would have a mix of a lot of different colours never mind adding the PD/other mix as well

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Seanies32 wrote:
    Leaving party affiliation aside does FG/Lab/Greens /PD's/how may of the independents they can muster seem a creditable alternative to even FF/Greens. I thought FG/Lab/greens would have a mix of a lot of different colours never mind adding the PD/other mix as well
    No, it doesn't. It's extremely unlikely to happen and if it does it won't work for very long. Plus as a Fine Gael & Labour voter I'd be disgusted to see them enter government with the PDs.

Nevertheless, as has been pointed out, Kenny is right to highlight the fact that the alternative government weren't far behind and that Finna Fáil's victory isn't the landslide suggested by the votes people like Cowen and O'Dea received. By doing so, he boosts morale within his own party, reduces the likelihood of Labour deserting to Fianna Fáil, shows his voters that their support counted for something, keeps Fianna Fáil on their toes and forces other parties to take his party seriously.

I somewhat doubt that Kenny truly believes he will be the next Taoiseach. What he is doing, however, is proving himself a leader. His actions now will form the basis of a strong Opposition, which can contest the next local elections and, hopefully, the next general election, with confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

He would probably need to tempt a few disgruntled FF back benchers with the offer of ministerial or junior ministerial office. I can think of a few FF's who are not happy with the leadership at the moment and might be persuaded to jump ship. But it isnt impossible and certainly its not unprecedented. FF did it with Martin Cullen, so why couldn't FG? After all, if you are not from a certain family or clique in FF you are never going to become a minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭stevedublin

JerkyBoy wrote:
    Nasty remarks?

He's the one who brought his familiy into it in an attempt to gain sympathy from the public, and seemed to pretend to cry when talking about his daughter's education funds. No-one asked him to bring up his family details.

He's the one who dishonestly said he used the "loans" that his "friends" gave him to cover his bills and separation costs. Taking multiple loans from many, to pay a single loan? Who does that? A Minister of Finance should understand economics better than that.

He's the one who admitted then to the contrary, that he was actually in funds of £70,000 at the time he received these "loans" from "friends".

He the one who claimed that he had £50,000 to do work on his house along with the woman with whom he cheated on his family.

If I am angry that my Taoiseach mislead us about getting money from businessmen, which enriched him until he was caught out, then so be it.

These issues, and his own words which have exposed him, speak to the kind of man we have as our national leader.
    IMO, an apparent cheater and liar.

It sucks that we can't have a Taoiseach with some integrity.
    well said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

greens arent going in with bertie so if lab sticks with FG we could see enda as taoiseach yet. (was just on radio, too much difference on public transport and energy isuese apparently )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

partholon wrote:
    greens arent going in with bertie so if lab sticks with FG we could see enda as taoiseach yet.
    Thats being pretty optimistic. Who else will FG go with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

partholon wrote:
    greens arent going in with bertie so if lab sticks with FG we could see enda as taoiseach yet. (was just on radio, too much difference on public transport and energy isuese apparently )

Unlikely. The PDs will support FF that gives Bertie 80 votes. At least two independents will also support FF- Flynn and Healy Rae. That's 82.

FG and Labour combined have 71 votes. Even if the remaining 3 independents vote for Kenny as Taoiseach that still leaves him short 8 votes.

I assume that the Greens and SF will abstain.

Result Lame Duck Government for a few months.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

partholon wrote:

The ironic thing about it is that the Greens would have the same problems with forming a government with FG, given that FG has almost exactly the same policies as FF.

The really ironic thing is that the Greens would likely have gotten more of their policies through with a FF government, then with a FG/Labour government.

bk wrote:
    The ironic thing about it is that the Greens would have the same problems with forming a government with FG, given that FG has almost exactly the same policies as FF.

The really ironic thing is that the Greens would likely have gotten more of their policies through with a FF government, then with a FG/Labour government.

You took the words out of mouth.

How much of their policies are the Greens going to get with FG/Lab/PD's and Inds.?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Mick86 wrote:
    Unlikely. The PDs will support FF that gives Bertie 80 votes. At least two independents will also support FF- Flynn and Healy Rae. That's 82.

Or 81 if RTE get Flynn declared a bankrupt when she goes to court on Monday !

So Enda, as this was the thread was about, will then need SF! :D

Thats how many colours? Blueish/Reddish/Greenish/Even greener and the PD's and different independents including Jackie and of course Lowry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

She's due in court on the 18th while the Dáil reconvenes on the 14th so she'll still be able to vote for Bertie before the By-Election.:D
    Seanies32 wrote:
    So Enda, as this was the thread was about, will then need SF! :D

Thats how many colours? Blueish/Reddish/Greenish/Even greener and the PD's and different independents including Jackie and of course Lowry.

I'd imagine that SF and Jackie would rather rip out their own eyes than vote for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

FG cannot now form a government without Sinn Féin, as the greens have issues with the PDs that cannot be resolved. Enda would need the PDs therefore = ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

bk wrote:
    Well with out SF, it is a non runner. 2 of the 5 indo's they would need are FF gene pool
    Lowry was considered FG Gene pool, but he changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

arctictree wrote:
    Yes - just heard that on the radio. It is certainly possible but IMO Kenny would have to give in to all of their demands as FF will be courting the PDs and the GP too.....
    I just don't see Labour and the PDs agreeing to go into government together. Do they agree on anything, really? And there is much hostility to the Pds within the labour party.
    Didn't Bertie slag off the greens & trevor sargent in the run-up to the election though. I suspect the greens & FF aren't likely to end up in the same camp,, :confused:
    No, it was often noted how the Greens were usually left out of gov't ministers' diatribes against the opposition parties during the election. He knew something like this might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

ninty9er wrote:
    FG cannot now form a government without Sinn Féin, as the greens have issues with the PDs that cannot be resolved. Enda would need the PDs therefore = ????

Yes they can for we have Enda with his keen intellect and capacity for using ideas off the top of his head, he will approach Mr Tayto in a bid to form the next government

Advertisement